Newbie help with ride changes

adz

Original Poster
Hi

Been reading the boards for ages, and thought it was about time I registered...! :)

I've been reading a lot about changes that have happened to rides over the years, like a crash test on TT, some dinosaur missing on, er, Dinosaur :hammer: and making SWSA less scary.

I've noticed a few since my first trip to WDW in 2001, but wondered if anybody knew any big changes - what happened and when...?

Thanks! :)

Empress Room

Changes

As I recall, Pirates of the Carribean was changed several years ago to become more "politically correct." The scene implying debauchery - where the pirates chase the women for "sale," was changed - that reference was eliminated.

Disney2002

Originally posted by adz
Hi

Been reading the boards for ages, and thought it was about time I registered...! :)

I've been reading a lot about changes that have happened to rides over the years, like a crash test on TT, some dinosaur missing on, er, Dinosaur :hammer: and making SWSA less scary.

I've noticed a few since my first trip to WDW in 2001, but wondered if anybody knew any big changes - what happened and when...?

Thanks! :)

Nothing changed with the crash test part of the ride in TT. The mock crash car set piece no longer moves, however.

There is no dino missing from Dinosaur. In terms of the 'toning down' of this attraction, you may be referring to the fact that they made the cars less bumpy, and that is all.

As for SWSA, I have no clue what you're referring to.

symbasys

Re: Changes

Originally posted by Empress Room
As I recall, Pirates of the Carribean was changed several years ago to become more "politically correct." The scene implying debauchery - where the pirates chase the women for "sale," was changed - that reference was eliminated.

I always found it interesting that they changed those scenes to be more PC, yet in the "Buy A Bride" scene there is still a comment by one of the pirates (referring to the stout woman up for auction) asking, "What, are you selling her by the pound?" I guess it's still socially acceptable to make fun of overweight people. This is of course assuming that you aren't already offended by the slavery storyline...

Just an observation.

:lookaroun

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Re: Re: Newbie help with ride changes

Originally posted by Disney2002
Nothing changed with the crash test part of the ride in TT. The mock crash car set piece no longer moves, however.

I believe the mock crash test vehicle was changed recently too. (in the last rehab).

I hope the old crash effect can be restored at some point, I thought that greatly added to the show.

TheDisneyGirl02

Re: Changes

Originally posted by Empress Room

Wasn't Pirates changed only out at Disneyland?

TheDisneyGirl02 :lookaroun

raven

Re: Re: Changes

Originally posted by TheDisneyGirl02
Wasn't Pirates changed only out at Disneyland?

Nope, it's been changed at WDW too. And I don't really know what the fuss was all about, I mean they are PIRATES after all. That's what they do.

The crash test in TT was pretty cool when it was working. The reason why it added so much was because you got the idea right away that you were about to do the same test. Now you just face the wall and you don't get what's about to happen until the lights come on and you start hurling toward the wall.

Dinosaur has always been a favorite of mine. I never even noticed the slight changes when they made them.

JackSkellington

Re: Re: Re: Changes

Originally posted by raven
Nope, it's been changed at WDW too. And I don't really know what the fuss was all about, I mean they are PIRATES after all. That's what they do.

True. But to some poeple it was offensive or something. Now they complain and it is removed. It really isn't fair.

TheDisneyGirl02

It's funny...you can't rewrite history and what happens in Pirates was history...oh well...

TheDisneyGirl02 :brick:

FatBoy976

I believe SWSA is Snow White's Scary Adventure in Fantasyland. They did "tone down" the ride to make it less scary, which I guess should mean the name should be changed to SWA.

As for Pirates, they definetly changed it in Disney World. If I were a bloodthirsty pirate with a sword and a gun, I know a woman with a broom would make me run in the other direction.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Dinosaur has always been a favorite of mine. I never even noticed the slight changes when they made them.

I was under the impression that originally in Dinosaur the prehistoric bird (don`t know its name!) swooped down at your car, but had tech problems virtually from day one. If you look at a nightvision video you can see the rails it used to slide along??

JackSkellington

Re: Re: Re: Re: Changes

Originally posted by marni1971
I was under the impression that originally in Dinosaur the prehistoric bird (don`t know its name!) swooped down at your car, but had tech problems virtually from day one. If you look at a nightvision video you can see the rails it used to slide along??
Its a Pteradactly. (I probably spelled it wrong but is pronounced Terro- dact- el)

ZHoyt

Re: Re: Re: Re: Changes

Originally posted by TheDisneyGirl02
It's funny...you can't rewrite history and what happens in Pirates was history...oh well...

it's funny, because ALL disney history is rewritten history. pirates, jungle cruise, big thunder mountain, hall of presidents, etc, etc, etc. any time history is found at a disney park, it has been rewritten to fit in.

adz

Original Poster
ride changes

Just got back from a vacation - not WDW:( - thanks for the posts.

That Pterodactyl must have been gone years - I've never seen it! I'm sure SWSA was changed more recently - I got a weird feeling like something was different on my 2002 trip... :confused:

The worst change for me was when ToT got seatbelts. A CM told me how to hold the bar up with your knees so you come out the seat - but no more:(

Thanks again!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom