New Year's Eve/Day

rcsnyder1

This will be the first time we will be at Disney on New Year's Eve. We would like to go to MK in the evening and be there when with everyone else ringing in the new year. Can anyone that has been there in the past for New Years give me any helpful hints like:

what time we should get there?
are there so many people there at they have to shut down the park?
do they do anything special that night?
are all the parks that day very busy? (I assume)
is there a great spot on Main Street USA to be at?

Thanks for any tips. Who knows, we may be one of the lucky ones and get on TV!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
This will be the first time we will be at Disney on New Year's Eve. We would like to go to MK in the evening and be there when with everyone else ringing in the new year. Can anyone that has been there in the past for New Years give me any helpful hints like:

what time we should get there?
are there so many people there at they have to shut down the park?
do they do anything special that night?
are all the parks that day very busy? (I assume)
is there a great spot on Main Street USA to be at?

Thanks for any tips. Who knows, we may be one of the lucky ones and get on TV!

Answers...

1. As a Disney Resort guest 6-7am, as a non-Disney Resort Guest 7-8am, buy a locker and bring a bag filled with supplies for the day.

2. Yes, the park will fill and you wont get back in if you leave. Thus survival bag. Kiss your car goodbye, bring extra cell phone batteries or an emergency charger even.

3. Yup, lots. Extra parades, fireworks, and some DJs and such. Very busy.

4. Yup, very. Pack survival gear - i suggest a good pain killer and water, and that cell phone battery.

5. Near your locker - I cannot overstate the value of the locker.

Upvote 0

mpaul32001

Actually you need to get there around 12 Noon at the latest. I was there last year. After that you are not guaranteed to get into the park as they may reach maximum capacity. If staying for the fireworks get your seat for the 7 PM spectromagic in front of the castle. Stay there as after spectromagic main street will be closed for capacity for the rest of the night. Here is a picture of where to be for fireworks. Red equals area where you must sit. Dark Blue equals area where you can stand. Do not go past the light blue area or you are not guaranteed to see fireworks behind the castle. The pink area is where interviews are normally being broadcast for TV.

castle5.JPG

By the way I will be videotaping with my high quality video camera and tripod the whole day and will be bringing back tons footage including spectromagic, The castle stage show, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Parade, Holiday Wishes, and Fantasy in the Sky.

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
It really depends on the year though - it fluctuates.

That's the most honest answer. Last year noonish was correct, but in the past they've shut down the parking lots at 10am or even as early as 9:30.

So, arriving as the park is opening is still the only way to really gurantee you'll be able to get in.

Arriving in the evening (as people often seem to plan) typically wont work.

Upvote 0

goofyfan13

Hope you have a good time, but bring a lot of patience with you. I've gone to MK on Christmas back in 1999, and since then my family will not go to that park on a major holiday. Something to consider though, Magic Kingdom does their NYE fireworks on the 30th as well. What we do and are doing this year is go to MK on the 30th, catch their NYE fireworks display, and do Epcot on NYE, where the crowds, while heavy, are much easier to manage.

Either way I'm sure you'll have a great time. Just be very patient with the crowds, there'll be times where you literally have to go where the people around you want to go, just because it is that crowded. :wave:

Upvote 0

rcsnyder1

Original Poster
You guys are great. Thanks for the information. Does the other parks besides MK have a countdown? If they do, it may be better to go to either EPCOT or MGM. We just want to be at a place where everyone is counting down together. I've always seen MK on TV and wanted to be there for it. Again, thanks for the info.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Epcot has a big celebration. If I ever get down there for NYE (I can't convince anyone to brave the crowds with me!), I would go to Epcot, based on the comments from posters here.

Upvote 0

rcsnyder1

Original Poster
Just to get more clarification, does MK have a countdown to 2007 like in NY Times Square? Do they also have a countdown at EPCOT and MGM?

Upvote 0

durangojim

MGM's Fireworks are never as long or good as Epcot or MK. I would not advise going there.

We've spent two NYE's at MGM and it was great, and the fireworks were spectacular. We'll be doing EPCOT this year so I'll be able to compare them then, but you can't go wrong with having a nice dinner at the Brown Derby and then ringing in the New Year at MGM.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom