New WDW Monorail System hours

Rob562

It seems like a good idea to me to temporarily allow the express to be used as resort during EMH's. However, it would also make sense to service the beams from the middle for a lot of the route. I could also see, for safety reasons, why you wouldn't want men/women working in close proximity to moving monorails and their electrically charged metal rails.

While work would still only be done at night, and thus on a powered-down system, they would have more freedom in doing the work because they wouldn't have to ensure that the beam being worked on was operational every morning.

Another problem is that they wouldn't be able to do the same with Express. The Express beam is still required to get trains from the shop to Epcot beam, and also get trains onto the Resort beam...

I could foresee the Express beam being used as Resort-Only transportation, though it's too late for my brain to grasp all the logistical problems... :snore:

-Rob

AMartin767

While work would still only be done at night, and thus on a powered-down system, they would have more freedom in doing the work because they wouldn't have to ensure that the beam being worked on was operational every morning.

Another problem is that they wouldn't be able to do the same with Express. The Express beam is still required to get trains from the shop to Epcot beam, and also get trains onto the Resort beam...

I could foresee the Express beam being used as Resort-Only transportation, though it's too late for my brain to grasp all the logistical problems... :snore:

-Rob

Well, certainly the transfer beams to get trains on and off the lines is definitely a logistical issue in this case. :veryconfu

AMartin767

I had another idea cross my mind. As the issue with the beams is concrete related (wear on tires, divots, etc.), would it be possible to "cap" the beam with metal or some other material that would cover the beam top and sides? This would be similar to the metal rails that run on the top and sides of wooden roller-coaster rails. The metal is what the wheels actually make contact with. When this wears, the metal rail is simply replaced keeping the underlying wood (or concrete in this case) unworn. As the metal is even and smooth, it would seemingly cut down on tire wear while protecting the beam underneath.

It would seem that this could be a relatively easy install at a reasonable cost and would help to maintain the integrity of the beams indefinitely.

What do you all think?

Picture worth 1,000 words?

I have been 'trolling' this website for years, and finally can't help it anymore. :wave:

I was 'home' at WDW from August 1st through the 10th. On August 7th, I snapped this photo coming out of the Magic Kingdom about 3:30am, after EMH. It was incredible to watch, and I was glad to see that they are utilizing the time to make the aforementioned repairs! :)

DSC00444.jpg

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
I have been 'trolling' this website for years, and finally can't help it anymore. :wave:

I was 'home' at WDW from August 1st through the 10th. On August 7th, I snapped this photo coming out of the Magic Kingdom about 3:30am, after EMH. It was incredible to watch, and I was glad to see that they are utilizing the time to make the aforementioned repairs! :)

Great pic! Glad to see they've been out there working.

Admiral01

Premium Member
You're over complicating it. If the Express beam were to be closed, for say a few weeks straight, they could build temporary platforms over the Express beam up next to Resort. That way you can use all the accommodations from the 'correct' platform.

Exactly. Excellent thought. I hadn't thought of that when I was thinking through the problem - I just figured they could rout passengers down the emergency exit stairs temporarily.

All that is left is the EPCOT loop. Potentially, you could still run 1 Monorail between EPCOT and the TTC on one half of the track, just going one direction to the TTC and then "reversing" direction to go back to EPCOT - backtracking on the same section of beam. Then, when one half is completed, the other half would be done. Does that work (and/or make sense the way I described it)?

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
haha you can see the boat waiting for the last guests to come out and also my coordinator looking up at the beam with a radio in his hand

mrksmpsn

One Beam Operational

Many years ago I remember one of the MK/Resort beams being refurbished inside the Contemporary. I don't remember which beam, but only one monorail beam was in use if I remember correctly. I think though I remember something about them using fewer trains on that beam and then only going back and forth between two stops. I'm not sure I'm remembering this correctly though because I think folks have said on here that even with both ends of the monorail manned, you have to reboot to go in the opposite direction.

I do remember them doing cement repair work on the beam in the Contemporary. Sorry I can't remember the year but it had to be the early 1990's.

Admiral01

Premium Member
Many years ago I remember one of the MK/Resort beams being refurbished inside the Contemporary. I don't remember which beam, but only one monorail beam was in use if I remember correctly. I think though I remember something about them using fewer trains on that beam and then only going back and forth between two stops. I'm not sure I'm remembering this correctly though because I think folks have said on here that even with both ends of the monorail manned, you have to reboot to go in the opposite direction.

I do remember them doing cement repair work on the beam in the Contemporary. Sorry I can't remember the year but it had to be the early 1990's.

It may take a reboot to go the opposite direction, but at least there would be service...slow and reduced service, but service all the same.

I am sure plans for this sort of beam refurb have been discussed...at least, I hope they have been discussed...

haha you can see the boat waiting for the last guests to come out and also my coordinator looking up at the beam with a radio in his hand

LOL....Maybe he remembers us! We were the last 6 wackos leaving the park (while frantically snapping pictures and oohing and ahhing over the monorail repair crew)!! :ROFLOL:

They had to call a bus for us. Not the first time that's happened...

Chrim

Around 1990 or so I believe the monorail openings in the Contemporary resort had to be enlarged (made taller) to allow the new, taller Mark VI monorails to fit inside (compared with the more squat Mark IV trains).

Also, many years ago at Disneyland resort (I think while Disney's California Adventure was being built), the monorail service was reduced to a single train using only part of the track shuttling back and forth between Tomorrowland and the Disneyland Hotel rather than making the normal loop. I don't remember that happening at WDW, but it seems possible (and I wasn't a visitor to WDW in that time frame so I would not have seen such activity first hand).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom