New WDW Commercial

Dizparks

Original Poster
OK, so I'm sitting here watching tv and this commercial for WDW comes on. I've never seen it before, but there's a problem. It's advertising the HCOE, the whole 50 years thing, but by the way they're advertising it looks like WDW is celebrating its 50th anniversary. Has anyone else seen this commercial? I mean for me I know that WDW isn't celebrating 50 years, but for someone with no knowledge about this at all would probably think WDW was celebrating 50 years.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
WDW is the primary point for all commercials. It holds more guests, and longer vacations for those guests. The commercials that air closer to Disneyland (California, Nevada, Arizona, etc) are geared more to DLR. However, that said, you're right in that they don't really differentiate between DLR and WDW. However, theres only so much you can do in a 30 second spot.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Tigger1988 said:
Yea, that commercial could be VERY confusing to someone who isn't familiar with the HCOE

Or Disney parks in general.
When I was down in June, I overheard people saying "Disney World has been open for 50 years" twice.

CaliSurfer182

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the marketing tagline for this celebration "Celebrating 50 years of Disney theme parks" not 50 years of Disneyland exclusively..........at least that is what I remember from all of the WDW centered commercials I have seen.

Yes I know that Disneyland is celebrating it's 50th year, and yes I believe that it should have been just a Disneyland celebration, but then that wouldn't have been as economically sound, now would it? :)

Thrawn

Account Suspended
CaliSurfer182 said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the marketing tagline for this celebration "Celebrating 50 years of Disney theme parks" not 50 years of Disneyland exclusively..........at least that is what I remember from all of the WDW centered commercials I have seen.

Yes I know that Disneyland is celebrating it's 50th year, and yes I believe that it should have been just a Disneyland celebration, but then that wouldn't have been as economically sound, now would it? :)

No, you're correct in all accounts. However, the particular commercial the OP is talking about doesn't really make that clear that its 50 years of any Disney park and not 50 years of WDW.

Tigger1988

CaliSurfer182 said:

Of course it was smart to include all the parks in on the celebration, but this particular comercial makes it seem as if WDW is the one having the birthday. Which could prove to be confusing to many people.

Budahman

I have seen this exact post brought up in other boards around the web and it seems like some Disneyland fans are kinda mad about it. Due to Cinderalla's Castle and Walt standing in front of it super-imposed saying his original opening day Disneyland statement. They think this makes people think that WDW is 50 or something like that.

My opinion, is that normal guests/people (not big time Disney fans like us all) don't go to WDW to go to certain WDW celebrations. The commercial might hit them in the right spot and make them think about finally making that trip to WDW, but I dont think the Celebration or events at WDW are what make people finally plan to make a trip.

Does that make sense.? :hammer: :)

Also, if someone comes to WDW and they think that WDW is 50, maybe they should have done some more planning or looked more into WDW and it's history before coming down. Things like this will make trips more enjoyable I think.

OnceUponaDream

brian19862002 said:
I mean for me I know that WDW isn't celebrating 50 years, but for someone with no knowledge about this at all would probably think WDW was celebrating 50 years.

I just saw it last night and was thinking the same thing. It does make it look like WDW is 50 years. One might also think that Walt was there for WDW's opening the way they were playing his Disneyland opening speech but with Cinderella's castle behind him...

Dragonrider1227

If we're thinking of the same ad, I liked it too. Especially that scene in the end of Walt standing infront of it in black annd white. Almost kinda creepy considering he died before it opened.

AEfx

Tigger1988 said:
Of course it was smart to include all the parks in on the celebration, but this particular comercial makes it seem as if WDW is the one having the birthday. Which could prove to be confusing to many people.

Although they are very careful to say, "Celebrating 50 years of Disney Parks...", yes, some people may be confused.

However, I don't think it really matters. I don't see many people standing at the gates of the MK and suddenly finding out that it's not really WDW's 50th and then wanting refunds.

Then again...LOL you never know.

AEfx

MickeyTigg

brian19862002 said:
OK, so I'm sitting here watching tv and this commercial for WDW comes on. I've never seen it before, but there's a problem. It's advertising the HCOE, the whole 50 years thing, but by the way they're advertising it looks like WDW is celebrating its 50th anniversary. Has anyone else seen this commercial? I mean for me I know that WDW isn't celebrating 50 years, but for someone with no knowledge about this at all would probably think WDW was celebrating 50 years.

I finally saw it for the first time today...it was weird, but I didn't think it was that bad.

mickey04

I thought it was classy until the part with Walt at the end. I don't know, that just struck me the wrong way. But then, it's the kind of thing that would only bother a die hard fan, so I guess I should just accept that that's the way Disney marketing does business. Still, just a tad on the creepy side in my opinion.

MickeyTigg

mickey04 said:
I thought it was classy until the part with Walt at the end. I don't know, that just struck me the wrong way. But then, it's the kind of thing that would only bother a die hard fan, so I guess I should just accept that that's the way Disney marketing does business. Still, just a tad on the creepy side in my opinion.

That's why I thought it was a bit weird...but still a good commercial.

1disneydood

When we first saw that commercial, my family looked up at me as if I were nuts when I stood up and shouted "blasphemy!" .:lol: They were like "but we thought you liked WDW". :hammer:

I personally think Walt would have written a different speech for Walt Disney World.

Bullredchaser

I love the commercial because Walt is in it,that makes it special to me and makes me even want to go more,not that I needed another reason to go.:sohappy: To me even though Walt was not at Magic Kingdom(Florida) for the Grand Opening I think a part of him is felt all over WDW.

3rdShiftCM

This ad is a blatant lie, the ad is suppose do that exactly, confuse you.

Disneyland has been swamped all year the ad campaign worked, everybody is coming home.

The ad is also playing in SoCal and it really kinda es me off, this may sound funny but, the one thing that Disneyland has always had is, it's Walt's park.

The part with Walt's speech is just going to far . All Companies lie but, this is bad.

There are people who now think WDW is 50.

Not everyone is a Disney freak.:)

bgraham34

Several people I have met never even knew there was a park in Cali. They thought Florida was the only one because of the commercials only ever showing Florida.

crazydaveh

I think it's a very creative spot. Putting Walt in there really makes the commercial. Yes, determining which park is the focal point can be confusing, but it's just a commercial! Why would they air a spot here in Florida for DL? We're all used to seeing the WDW Castle here, so that's what we see on the commercial!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom