New Tomorrowland sign

NickMaio

But often less is more.
Which one looks more Disney and which one actually looks better?
Spaceship_Earth_with_Mickey's_Wand.jpg

spaceship-earth-night.jpg
I ADORE the second pic of SE - - - - So awesome!!!

Seabasealpha1

I dig it. If you look at the entire view past the sign with the new lights/colors/theming...I like this sleek look over what looks like a Sci-fi junkyard...

I know I’m likely in the minority. I honestly can’t say it looks stupid or overdone. I like it.

JustAFan

For starters, who approved the teensy-tiny letters you can barely read?
Have you seen it in person? I won't judge it by its size until my eyes behold it. I did like the old one though. I guess I'll form an opinion when I actually see it, but from pics I prefer the old one.

brihow

Loving the fact that if you catch it at the right time, you can get the shadows of the letters on the inner hoop.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">🎶 There’s A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrowland Sign 🎶 <a href="https://t.co/R6CwvrePgd">pic.twitter.com/R6CwvrePgd</a></p>&mdash; Tom Orrow (@Tom___Orrow) <a href="">September 18, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tirian

The old one looked like Disney this looks like something unfinished that a second grader came up with, it has no theme just blah and boring and just might as well not be there because no one will even notice it. This is supposed to be Disney where everything is over the top.
Meh...everything at Disney is not supposed to be over-the-top. It wasn’t treated as Vegas until the cardboard wand was slapped on the side of SSE. Before that, Disney was known for its expert theming that went just to the right point before exercising restraint—if you ignore temporary special events like the Castle Cake. ;) Seriously though, Disney's competitors were often criticized for not knowing when to stop as they tried to imitate Disney. And snobby academics criticized everything anyway. :D

But back to the sign: I think its biggest problem (other than type that’s about 3 inches too short) is that it clashes with everything Disney left behind in TL. The fan-made image of the old spires with the new sign is beautiful because it combines multiple elements into one statement instead of slapping pieces here and there.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

I'm not a fan of the idea that Disney's new treatment for Tomorrowland is to pull it back into the 70's . . . however, this is a MUCH more beautiful and unified vision than they seem to actually be going for at the moment. I'd take it.

I'm deeply curious to see what they actually have up their sleeves for this land. I want to get excited for what's coming . . .

Raineman

I think the aesthetic of the new sign fits TL better than the last sign. The classic Disney idea of what the future would look like was always sleek and shiny and bright hues of white, and the last sign was more of that busy, steam-punk type of aesthetic, which I never thought fit into the original theme of TL. As @tirian mentioned, the new sign combined with the now-defunct spires would be gorgeous together.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Maybe it's a sundial?

I think imagineers are trying to give a more current look to the future aesthetic and move forward from the archaic look of '50s robots.

If you notice for Tron, they've made the sign less obtrusive than the original art by making the letters smaller and hanging the sign lower.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom