New thread classification of 'Politics'

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
This year has brought a huge challenge with moderating forum threads where we see a crossover of Disney and politics - especially with regard to the reopening of the parks and specifically Disneyland.

We do have a dedicated board for political discussion, which can be found at Politics and Social Issues. However, it has become apparent that we need to be able to designate some threads inside other sections of the forum that may contain political discussion in relation to the subject matter.

The Disneyland board in particular has several threads that are clearly based on Disneyland, but by their very nature contain a fair amount of political discussion. Rather than move those threads to the politics board, and respecting that they do contain valid information relating to Disneyland, they will now be allowed to stay.

You will now see that some threads will contain a 'Politics' prefix (as shown below in the screenshot). This tells you two things:

1. Political discussion is allowed in that thread in relation to the original subject. This does not mean it is a political free-for-all, but political comments in relation to the subject hand will be allowed. Off-topic political talk will be deleted.

2. For visitors who wish to avoid political discussion, threads will now be easier to ignore/avoid.

1602596039220.png

el_super

Political discussion is allowed in that thread in relation to the original subject. This does not mean it is a political free-for-all, but political comments in relation to the subject hand will be allowed. Off-topic political talk will be deleted.

Is there any formal guidance you can provide us on what is and isn't really allowed under this? I've been trying (and admittedly not always succeeding) at keeping the politics very Disneyland/Theme Park focused, but with more and more general "X Politician Sucks" posts showing up, it seems that there should be a boundary somewhere, and I want to make sure to not cross it.

Especially with regard to the mantra that 'everything in Anaheim politics relates to Disneyland' theme that has been expressed in the past. It can get tiresome.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Is there any formal guidance you can provide us on what is and isn't really allowed under this? I've been trying (and admittedly not always succeeding) at keeping the politics very Disneyland/Theme Park focused, but with more and more general "X Politician Sucks" posts showing up, it seems that there should be a boundary somewhere, and I want to make sure to not cross it.

Especially with regard to the mantra that 'everything in Anaheim politics relates to Disneyland' theme that has been expressed in the past. It can get tiresome.
I agree it is difficult to navigate. It is very difficult to moderate as well.

At worst, a post will be deleted. So as long as you can handle something being deleted if we deem it unacceptable, there is nothing to be worried about. Some people however take great offense to anything of theirs being moderated.

el_super

I agree it is difficult to navigate. It is very difficult to moderate as well.

At worst, a post will be deleted. So as long as you can handle something being deleted if we deem it unacceptable, there is nothing to be worried about. Some people however take great offense to anything of theirs being moderated.

Thank you. Here's to hoping I don't end up losing sleep because a post of mine was deleted. 😄

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom