News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

tl77

The Finding Nemo and Lion King shows at AK and the Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast shows at DHS are really very good, and these live shows like The Polynesian Luau, Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue, and Diamond Horse Shoe, are classic aspects of Walt Disney World. I think this theater is my favorite announcement from D23, especially since it'll require a permanent version of the Main Street by-pass to be built and probably will open up the back end of Center Street

deix15x8

What are the chances this connects to Tomorrowland in any way? I could see the bypass kept open permanently once the theater begins operation, but is there a chance there's another walkway created that goes from the theater to that space in Tomorrowland between Buzz and CoP? It could definitely help with congestion and I support any pathways that allow you to navigate the park without having to go through the Hub.
Hopefully. That was one of the things I like about Disneyland Paris. It seemed like their were secret passages everywhere that connected the different areas. You could get strait from Townsquare to Frontierland by taking a small path along the side of a building if you wanted. It would be great for getting to/from Tomorrowland during the fireworks.

build_it

View attachment 215720

Almost a perfect fit...

Edit: How cool would it be if Center Street actually went somewhere?

I think this is close. But I bet the building is pushed farther into the parking lot so there is more of a 'square' in front of it. It will also need to front load, rather than side load like DCA. So I would hazard a guess the building will be about a third deeper than DCA to accommodate that.

RandySavage

I think this theater is my favorite announcement from D23, especially since it'll require a permanent version of the Main Street by-pass to be built and probably will open up the back end of Center Street
Agree. But re-working the rear of MS East into a fully on-stage area is an extensive task and presents major logistical challenges. What are the chances they'd include all that as part of this theater project?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Agree. But re-working the rear of MS East into a fully on-stage area is an extensive task and presents major logistical challenges. What are the chances they'd include all that as part of this theater project?

They'd pretty much have to. The artwork shows people milling about a plaza, not in a walled-in queue. They will most assuredly not be having guests seeing the dumpsters in the back of the stores.

brb1006

The Finding Nemo and Lion King shows at AK and the Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast shows at DHS are really very good, and these live shows like The Polynesian Luau, Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue, and Diamond Horse Shoe, are classic aspects of Walt Disney World. I think this theater is my favorite announcement from D23, especially since it'll require a permanent version of the Main Street by-pass to be built and probably will open up the back end of Center Street
Yeah but Mermaid and Beauty. And the Beast have since lost it's charm.

raven

I'm very positive about the bigger additions (Star Wars, Mickey, Guardians, gondolas, Minnie vans, etc) which most people seem to be complaining about...

I just think the shows at Disney are generally overhyped.

No. You have been very negative or sarcastic on just about all of the announcements:
Not just a hideous building, but a hideous building with a nearly identical ride. How is this any more special than Space Mountain?! It completely diminishes the excitement factor of both. They might as well be dueling coasters.

Talk about ruining a classic attraction, ie an iconic one there since the beginning, not a cheap overlay from 1996 of a ride no one even thinks about.

I'm surprised this is met with such positivity. It's by far the worst idea from D23.

Similar visuals, similar theming, similar coaster intensity.

So Tron has more blue lights and you're on a "bike." How thrilling. :rolleyes:

I'll never eat here.

This looks so bland. Traveling carnivals at your local Wal-Mart have more thrilling things to do than this disaster.

I'm not a big fan of the so-called shows at Disney World (most are second rate productions at best) so I'm highly disappointed in this news.

There's literally no research or development or creative "imagineering" necessary. It's just a matter of cloning and assembling the pieces.

Houses are constructed by small companies in a matter of weeks, there's no reason this small ride consisting mostly of SCREENS has to take years to assemble by one of the biggest corporations in the world.

It's lazy and a slap in the face. We've already been waiting decades for something new to this section of the park so the least they could do is get things up in a hurry if it's just a carbon copy of an already existing ride. It'd ease the pain of not announcing the Brazilian pavilion as well.

What kind of food will be served? Will there be an option to sample the disgusting freeze dried food the astronauts eat in space? I can't imagine this will be very appetizing if it fits the theme, so I'll probably just walk in the front door, look at the screens that show space, and quickly make my exit.

As if that's the only similarity.

If someone told me the Shanghai ride was just their take on Space Mountain, I wouldn't even bat an eyelash.

Exactly. This is LONG overdue, hence the timeline of this attraction being even more offensive.

Construction contracts could have been secured during all that time. The only thing that needs to be "public" is the actual construction, which could be done in a couple months considering it's a clone of a small ride consisting mostly of television screens.

DEAR GOD NO.

The worst thing to happen to Mickey since the dawn of time.

I don't actually expect it up by the fall, but it would be possible if they really decided to do that. But it should be ready by the start of the new year at least.

This ride has been a no brainer for years. It's poor planning at best.

A classic? A cheap overlay added to an unpopular ride in 1996? With celebrities and cringeworthy humor to make it more appealing? So classic.

This is a disaster waiting to happen. Better ride it while you can because it will be shut down after the first death.

LOVE this. Can't wait to see the polka dots driving around.

The fact that this is all they're adding is disgraceful and borderline offensive. China has so much potential for legitimate attractions.

When are we going to see that realized, 2037?

tl77

They'd pretty much have to. The artwork shows people milling about a plaza, not in a walled-in queue. They will most assuredly not be having guests seeing the dumpsters in the back of the stores.

I think making the by-pass permanent is just something they need to do regardless of this theater, especially if they're going to be adding new attractions like the Tron Coaster. I was at MK this January and walking down Main Street was a challenge, and that was during what is considered a slow time of year for the park.

Looking at this on Google Maps, all the empty facade buildings at the end of Center Street would most likely get leveled to open that up, but I think the really interesting opportunity here is that they could then add some small boutique shops to the backs of the existing Main Street Shops, something along the lines of the old Magic Shop that used to be on Main Street, things that gave Main Street some character. Liberty Square still has small shops like that, as do some of the Epcot World Showcase pavilions and Hollywood Studios.

Cosmic Commando

I think this is close. But I bet the building is pushed farther into the parking lot so there is more of a 'square' in front of it. It will also need to front load, rather than side load like DCA. So I would hazard a guess the building will be about a third deeper than DCA to accommodate that.
You can tell from the concept art that there's going to be a two-story "lobby" in front. The "front door" of the Hyperion Theater in DCA actually just shuttles you around to the outdoor, side entrances. I would guess that there will be, at minimum, an indoor load at the front of the building. If they could have some kind of queue/holding space inside, that would be great.

mm121

If in the site of the old theater, it would make sense...

View attachment 215724

It would explain why there are no landmarks in the background...

View attachment 215726

maybe make center street go through to create better access

off mainstreet makes better sense than ON main street from a crowd control standpoint

kinda like fantasmic is set a ways off the main pathway

they'd just need to be smart about scheduling show times so there wouldnt be big crowds in this area at times when its needed as bypass

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom