News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

Magic Feather

The site that shall not be named just posted some info for the MK Theater.
The theater will hold around 2000 guests, with 1500 of them seated on the main floor, and another roughly 500 on a mezzanine level. It will be very similar in size to the Hyperion Theater at Disney California Adventure, but not nearly as tall and steep. To accommodate all of these guests, two new sets of restrooms will be a part of the structure, with one set located outside and another within (meaning guests won’t have to leave the building if they have to use the facilities while a show is taking place). The entrance to one of the outside restrooms is visible in the concept art above, located all the way to the left by the popcorn cart”
The layout is more similar to the Big Band Beat Theater in Tokyo, except not a part of a cohesive American Waterfront, and different placement of restrooms.

Next Big Thing

I bet the view of the fireworks from back there wouldn’t be half bad...
It's ok, nothing to brag about though. You can see it on busy nights when they have the bypass open currently. From where the theatre building will be however, you actually won't be able to see much of the fireworks. You need to be further down the bypass towards Tomorrowland to see.

JoeCamel

It's ok, nothing to brag about though. You can see it on busy nights when they have the bypass open currently. From where the theatre building will be however, you actually won't be able to see much of the fireworks. You need to be further down the bypass towards Tomorrowland to see.
You could probably catch Tinks landing ;)

Sundown

I have some uninformed questions. I'm certainly more of a ride fan than a show fan.

- What is Disney's intent with building this new theater and having a new show?
- Is it in response to guest wanting a new stage show to sit-down, relax and enjoy?
- It it that a large theater has been so well received in other parks, that they want one in Magic Kingdom?
- Or is its intent to be a "people eater", to keep a many people in an attraction...vs. elsewhere in the park (helping crowd size, etc.)

I'm curious to learn more about this. I'll most probably see a show at it once, then not again. It doesn't excite me too much. But I can see it being interesting to others.

JoeCamel

I have some uninformed questions. I'm certainly more of a ride fan than a show fan.

- Is it in response to guest wanting a new stage show to sit-down, relax and enjoy?
- It it that a large theater has been so well received in other parks, that they want one in Magic Kingdom?
- Or is its intent to be a "people eater", to keep a many people in an attraction...vs. elsewhere in the park (helping crowd size, etc.)

I'm curious to learn more about this. I'll most probably see a show at it once, then not again. It doesn't excite me too much. But I can see it being interesting to others.
Only gonna answer the first one.
They want someplace for 2000 people to go each show. Adds capacity.

Slowjack

I'm more of a ride person myself, but I have been pleasantly surprised a few times (Festival of the Lion King, and the old Tarzan Rocks, believe it or not). I would expect the idea here is that they already have theaters in other parks around the world, and they have theatrical productions running on Broadway and touring, and so it would be relatively easy for them to rotate in a fresh show in the MK theater every few years. You get something new to offer repeat visitors, and plus, as you've said, it would be a nice boost in capacity for a park that needs it.

JoeCamel

I'm more of a ride person myself, but I have been pleasantly surprised a few times (Festival of the Lion King, and the old Tarzan Rocks, believe it or not). I would expect the idea here is that they already have theaters in other parks around the world, and they have theatrical productions running on Broadway and touring, and so it would be relatively easy for them to rotate in a fresh show in the MK theater every few years. You get something new to offer repeat visitors, and plus, as you've said, it would be a nice boost in capacity for a park that needs it.

Tell that to BatB. Easy to do and happening are two different things to TDO

MagicHappens1971

Maybe I missed it, but has it been addressed as to if the bypass will remain open all the time once the theatre is open? Because even if you can enter through Main Street, I don’t see Disney not allowing you to walk in and out via the bypass. If so I’d imagine the last show during busy times of the year (depending on length) would have to start a good hour & a half before fireworks, and a similar system of times would have to happen during the parades as well. Just my two cents

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom