News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

Princess Leia

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

FigmentFan3

I wonder what will go in this theater
A musical like Tangled or Aladdin?
Or maybe we get something like Mickey and the magical map
Aladdin and magical map were/are both really great shows. I’m not 100% sure map would work in a proscenium theatre space though.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Or... "Disney presents: Mickey's Magical Nighttime Wondrous Dream Book... of Wishes! Brought to you courtesy of: BabyBel Snack Cheese, official snack cheese of Walt Disney World Resort! PopSecret, official popcorn provider to Walt Disney World Resort! Coca-Cola, official beverage company of Walt Disney World Resort! Hyperion Publishing, official book publisher for Disney! Sharpie, official permanent marker of Walt Disney World Resort! Zephyrhills Water, official bottled water provider to Walt Disney World Resort! Starbucks, official coffee of Walt Disney World Resort! Frito-Lay, official snack chip provider to Walt Disney World Resort! Nestle, official ice cream provider to Walt Disney World Resort! Special promotional consideration by: Star Wars! Come see the new Star Wars: Galaxy Edge, opening late 2019 at Disney Movies Theme Park!!!" :depressed:

You forgot Otterbox... The official phone case provider of Walt Disney World.

lazyboy97o

Random question but can anyone explain why it will be “Disney” and not “Disney’s” in all these new names? I don’t like it!!
Because you buy an Apple iPhone and not a Apple’s iPhone or a Chiquita banana and not a Chiquita’s banana. Disney leadership actually has it stuck in their head that using the possessive undermines brand awareness and recognition because it is inconsistent with the company name. In otherwords, they think you’re to stupid to realize that products labeled “Disney’s” are made by Disney.

Old Mouseketeer

Random question but can anyone explain why it will be “Disney” and not “Disney’s” in all these new names? I don’t like it!!

It's a branding thing. I think there's a legal technicality. By only using the most basic term "Disney", they are protecting the brand in its singular, most pristine form. I'm sure marketing and legal wonks can give a more technically accurate analysis. But this has been going on since the beginning of the Eisner years. When he came into power, the corporate name was "Walt Disney Productions" and all copyrights and trademarks bore that long verbiage Now it's just (c) Disney. Similarly, movies were distributed by "Buena Vista Pictures Distribution". Now it's "Walt Disney Pictures Distribution", including Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm releases (but you only see that reference at the very end of the credits).

Disney. Disney. Disney. All will be assimilated!

lazyboy97o

It's a branding thing. I think there's a legal technicality. By only using the most basic term "Disney", they are protecting the brand in its singular, most pristine form. I'm sure marketing and legal wonks can give a more technically accurate analysis. But this has been going on since the beginning of the Eisner years. When he came into power, the corporate name was "Walt Disney Productions" and all copyrights and trademarks bore that long verbiage Now it's just (c) Disney. Similarly, movies were distributed by "Buena Vista Pictures Distribution". Now it's "Walt Disney Pictures Distribution", including Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm releases (but you only see that reference at the very end of the credits).

Disney. Disney. Disney. All will be assimilated!
There is no legal necessity in making the switch. It is all an Iger idea and began slowly and still has not been fully adopted across all names with most Walt Disney World still using the posessive. Even today not all items say just “© Disney” and “©Disney Enterprises” is still used. Renaming Buena Vista Pictures Distribution similarly had to do with Iger’s desire for brand consistency.

Old Mouseketeer

There is no legal necessity in making the switch. It is all an Iger idea and began slowly and still has not been fully adopted across all names with most Walt Disney World still using the posessive. Even today not all items say just “© Disney” and “©Disney Enterprises” is still used. Renaming Buena Vista Pictures Distribution similarly had to do with Iger’s desire for brand consistency.

That's an important distinction I missed. But Iger was building on what Eisner started.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I, for one, HATE the non-use of the possessive. It sounds stupid and incorrect to my ears. "Disney's Animal Kingdom" or "Disney Animal Kingdom"? The former, every day and twice on Sunday.

I think I'll just start referring to Bob Iger as "Brand" now. It fits. And the double Bob's as "The Brand Brothers".

Cosmic Commando

This is all from memory, as I couldn't find any articles just now to corroborate, but I think it was sort of a Jedi mind trick to make the "Disney" more part of the title. "Disney Epic Mickey" was either the first or one of the first things to drop the apostrophe. The thinking was that "Disney's" was being ignored, and making it "Disney Epic Mickey" instead of "Disney's Epic Mickey" would trick people into keeping the Disney in the title. Of course, people figured it out, and everyone drops the Disney just like they did Disney's.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Getting back on topic... The question I have is: Does anyone have any insight as to what will be presented at this new theater? Stage show? Movie? Something else? And will people really flock to it because of what's being presented, or just because "it's new!!!" and/or they couldn't find anything else to get a FastPass for?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I, for one, HATE the non-use of the possessive

Stay away, then, from Boston Harbor, the Sydney Opera House, the Jersey Shore, 7-11 Slurpees, Glacier National Park, the Empire State Building, the United States Army, MacDonald fries, Ford trucks, Tourette syndrome, Toy Story Midway Mania, Kilimanjaro Safari, Liberty Square River Boat, Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, Prince Charming Regal Carousel, Swiss Family Treehouse, Tom Sawyer Island...

lazyboy97o

This is all from memory, as I couldn't find any articles just now to corroborate, but I think it was sort of a Jedi mind trick to make the "Disney" more part of the title. "Disney Epic Mickey" was either the first or one of the first things to drop the apostrophe. The thinking was that "Disney's" was being ignored, and making it "Disney Epic Mickey" instead of "Disney's Epic Mickey" would trick people into keeping the Disney in the title. Of course, people figured it out, and everyone drops the Disney just like they did Disney's.
Epic Mickey definitely had a strong campaign for the name to be read as Disney Epic Mickey. I first noticed the dropping of the prosessive in 2008, mostly on merchandise related to then fad properties.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom