New Star Tours Video

yea but the difference is plans have been in place for this ride for years now. I taped this "New Tommorowland" special that was on tv when they redid Disneylands tommorowland back in 1998 and in it Tony Baxter was already hinting that an update to Star Tours was going to be part of tommorowland "phase two" (which never happened). Then in 2001 they redid the MGM star tours gift shop and added new merchandise with a new Star Tours logo and the line "Tatooine Express". And then at Celebration 3 last year George Lucas when asked what his future plans would be he said updating Star Tours was one of them. I really dont get what the hold up is its not like its going to cost an insane amount of money but its sure guarenteed to bring in the big bucks.

NTI2002

I think the past three moives have proved that we can't trust George Lucas to deliver any quality products ever again.
So I wouldn't plan on seeing an update (just my two cents) any time soon.
And besides, it'd probably be full of Gungans, and really lame CGI characters. Nothing good can come out of Star Tours: the gungan experience

penfold12

Apparently it would cost a lot of money!! George Lucas is quoted as saying any upgrade would also have to include upgrading the projection system and film to digital to increase the resoultion and quality. A good move, but I read somewhere that it would push the price in excess of 100 million. Dont know how true this is but sounds feesable. The artical also hinted that Disney may be more interested in moving in this direction because of the propsed live action TV series about to be launched in 2008 about star wars. Obviously it would be a bit coup if abc could land the show............

RonAnnArbor

I've seen that "over a hundred million" estimate in several places. I think people underestimate how expensive a major "film overhaul" can be - because you are NOT jusr edoing a film, you are updating the entire technology that goes into the ride. I don't think WDW is in any rush to upgrade this attraction as it still draws in huge crowds as is. Would be nice to see an upgrade, but don't bank on it anytime in the immediate future.

NTI2002 said:
I think the past three moives have proved that we can't trust George Lucas to deliver any quality products ever again.
So I wouldn't plan on seeing an update (just my two cents) any time soon.
And besides, it'd probably be full of Gungans, and really lame CGI characters. Nothing good can come out of Star Tours: the gungan experience

ok i can see people not liking the first 2 but episode 3 was not lame on any counts. with that said lucas would create an awsome new ride video and system. just imagine the current one times 100!!! (just my two cents as well):wave:

JimboJones123

headmouse2000 said:
ok i can see people not liking the first 2 but episode 3 was not lame on any counts. with that said lucas would create an awsome new ride video and system. just imagine the current one times 100!!! (just my two cents as well):wave:

Lucas won't do it unless he pockets tons of $$$ -- and would that really be worth it??? or could the SW contract run out and disney animators come up with something better???

NTI2002

headmouse2000 said:

Episode 3 was just as lame. I think people were fooled by the small images of the originals. Just because we got to see the 10 min lightsaber battle, and a few jedi get assassinated, did not make that movie any better. The major villan was a joke (a coughing robot with the mentality of a saturday morning cartoon villan is supposed to be frightening?), the dialouge was as bad as the first two, and Mace Windu definately went down like a chump (He fought, then fell his death like a disney villian). And Darth Vader walked around like the Tin Man and screamed NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! (grrr...Vader mad. Vader SMASH!)

lilphil6487

NTI2002 said:
Episode 3 was just as lame. I think people were fooled by the small images of the originals. Just because we got to see the 10 min lightsaber battle, and a few jedi get assassinated, did not make that movie any better. The major villan was a joke (a coughing robot with the mentality of a saturday morning cartoon villan is supposed to be frightening?), the dialouge was as bad as the first two, and Mace Windu definately went down like a chump (He fought, then fell his death like a disney villian). And Darth Vader walked around like the Tin Man and screamed NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! (grrr...Vader mad. Vader SMASH!)

You are obviously not a fan of star wars. First of all General Greivous is not the major villain, Palpatine is. Plus greivous is not a robot, he is a cyborg. Has has internal organs and blood, just a robotic body. If you saw the Clone Wars on cartoon network you we understand why he has a cough. I admit the dialogue wasnt too good, but hte movie itself was up there with the originals. Episodes 1 and 2 were good, but not too good. A word of advice for you, dont go giving negative opinions about anything. It leads to debates and arguments just like what i am doing now. If you were a fan of star wars you would have appreciated all of the movies even if 1 and 2 werent that good. I would love to see them redo star tours although i like that ride a lot and would miss the current video. Oh and please dont flame me. im just trying to argue the point that saying negative opinions may get some forum readers upset or angry, kinda like things Thrawn has said even tho i agree with him a lot.

lilphil6487 said:
You are obviously not a fan of star wars. First of all General Greivous is not the major villain, Palpatine is. Plus greivous is not a robot, he is a cyborg. Has has internal organs and blood, just a robotic body. If you saw the Clone Wars on cartoon network you we understand why he has a cough. I admit the dialogue wasnt too good, but hte movie itself was up there with the originals. Episodes 1 and 2 were good, but not too good. A word of advice for you, dont go giving negative opinions about anything. It leads to debates and arguments just like what i am doing now. If you were a fan of star wars you would have appreciated all of the movies even if 1 and 2 werent that good. I would love to see them redo star tours although i like that ride a lot and would miss the current video. Oh and please dont flame me. im just trying to argue the point that saying negative opinions may get some forum readers upset or angry, kinda like things Thrawn has said even tho i agree with him a lot.

( giving standing ovation ) Thank You!!

NTI2002

lilphil6487 said:

I actualy used to be a rabid star wars fan. then the prequels came out. then he took sebastian shaw out of the spirit scene in Jedi. And that was it for me. I saw the cartoon, which I thougth was actually better than the new films. But a film should not have to depend on the expanded universe to explain things.
oh and I'm not flaming you. I hate flamers. I'm jsut saying that all three films (especially the third) were way overrated, and 3 did not deserve the praise it got. All the characters were empty, and they took all the humanity out of the child birth scene (pop "Luke", pop! "Leia....uugggghhh" dead)

As for redoing Star Tours, I'd be happy if they jsut transfered the current video to digital format, and fix the ride mechanism. The last time I rode it the film and the ride movements were off by like a split second and it actually made me queasy (somethign that's not easily done)

stele25

alot of people compare episodes 1,2,3 with 4,5,6 and thats fair however it is not a level playing surface. When 4,5,6 came out lucas did all sorts of new things and the movie astonished people on so many levels...when 1,2,3 came out it had gorgeous shots be we have all seen cg before so it lost a bit of the aww. Lucas did make some iffy decisions but in total the movies were still solid. Only thing i didn't like was the horrible actor that played anakin..(omg hes bad). Without 4,5,6 to compare to 1,2,3 is actually a great trilogy and can stand on their own. But star wars fans are the biggest critics and its sad they can't move aside petty stuff and just embrace it. Be glad they were made. If you can like Lord of the rings even tho jackson raped the story, then why not like episodes 1,2,3 even tho jar jar is cheesy. At least lucas pulled him out. He did listen to you all! As far as the ride, i promise it will be redone in some fashion. Lucasfilm has been a major part of mgm and its been said that disney will do whatever lucas wants to make it awesome. Could you imagine a mission space style star wars battle! there are tons of ideas. In my opinion 100 million isn't all that much these days for a attraction...look at the prices of the last few big ones. And i'm sure it will be more than a simple update. Star tours is really old. Plus they just redid the at-at outside and it looks great. It wasn't there last spring. Have a good day everyone!

NTI2002

I never compare film sequels to previous installments. I believe films should stand on their own. 1, 2, and 3 were just an example of overbugeted bad film making. There was no heart in it. and the poor actors on screen had nothign to work with except tennis balls. Oh and you're not going to get a good performance out of anyone when you digitally change the actors' performance in a scene (if you don't know what I'm talkign about watch Clone's commentary. Lucas prides himself on taking Hayden's best take and Natalie's best take and splicing them together. so technically, they're not even talking to eachotehr at that moment. THAT's poor film making.

The prequels werent nearly as bad as people say they were. Its mostly exageration. For example Episode I is a pretty good movie other then a couple of dumb anakin lines and jar jar's antics (who doesnt really act all that much different then side charecters in disney and pixar movies and besides the whole point is that hes an annoying moron). Episode II is a biit rough around the edges..the romance subplot was weak but other then that the film is solid. The Final battle is near flawlessness. Episode III is a VERY good movie and I cant understand how anyone, other then those film "enthusiasts" that get so whiny about film as an "art form", dislike it. If your a fan of 4-6 then you should have no problem with episode 3. There are goofy scenes in every star wars movie (Jabbas palace & the ewoks in ROTJ for example).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom