New Star Tours II Queue?

Captain Neo

Star Tours has one of the best queues in Walt Disney World and if they got rid of all those amazing detailed sets I would be so ED! Personally I really don't think they will.

Well I believe there are reports from Disenyland castmembers that said the entire queue has been gutted out. Im pretty sure the old sets are all gone now. The debate is wether or not those sets will be replace with new sets equally awsome or simplistic ones that just having you staring at video screens.

As for the outside of the ride thats a really good question. I know they redid the exit gift shop FOR Star Tours 2 back in 2000 (this ride has been in development for like 12 years now lol) to make it look like Tatooine. Now that WDI has decided the new ride will represent both trilogies I guess they might leave the ROTJ set alone.

NattyBumppo

It would be fitting if they removed the real sets and replaced them with screens. After all, George Lucas replaced most of the real sets (and characters) in the original trilogy with cold, heartles green screen vistas and CGI characters in the prequels.

Maerj

Oh please. Add a couple of creatures, paint out some matte lines, and have Greedo shoot first and people have a hissy fit.

Back on subject, they say that the line queue is going to be redone. If its just video screens, well that will be a mistake. Some are okay but they need to keep some AAs.

Its more fun to walk into a fully realized environment rather than just watch it on some vidoe screens.

TP2000

I haven't seen any pictures of Star Tours work at WDW, but there have been plenty of pictures taken through cracks in the wall at Disneyland's Star Tours.

IMG_3259.jpg

Those pictures, like the one above taken a few weeks after the ride closed at Disneyland last July, showed that the entry area and indoor pre-show were being totally gutted and torn out, right down to the dirt under the cement foundation of the queue floor. They also have removed major walls and architectural parts of the indoor area, even moving structural support beams. At Disneyland, it appears the queue and pre-show area was being rebuilt from the dirt up.

Not sure what this means for the WDW version, but surely they wouldn't have different project scopes between the two properties, would they? :confused:

But then again, the Disneyland rehab closure is about two months longer than the WDW version. Disneyland's Star Tours closed in July, 2010, while the DHS version didn't close to the public until September, 2010, and even then they didn't touch it for a while until after that "D23 last ride" thing took place, right?

JustInTime

Not sure what this means for the WDW version, but surely they wouldn't have different project scopes between the two properties, would they? :confused:

They never had the Queue we had. And they would absolutely have different scopes. See the 2 Mermaids for example. But ya never know! :)

Captain Neo

They never had the Queue we had. And they would absolutely have different scopes. See the 2 Mermaids for example. But ya never know! :)

The outdoor set is only in Florida but the indoor queue is identical in both parks (except for the filming props when you first enter the building and those 2 droid ravens) and since Disneyland's indoor queue has been COMPLETELY gutted I would imagine the same thing has happened in Florida. The scoop of the project should be identical really.

It would be fitting if they removed the real sets and replaced them with screens. After all, George Lucas replaced most of the real sets (and characters) in the original trilogy with cold, heartles green screen vistas and CGI characters in the prequels.

aPlenty of live sets and models were used in the prequel trilogy and were blended in seamlessly with the CGI. Unlike most modern movies such as 300 and Avatar which are virtually 100% green screen CGI vistas.

juniorthomas

True. He has established a dangerous precedent there. Here's hoping WDI pulls him out of it for this one...

imagineer boy

I haven't seen any pictures of Star Tours work at WDW, but there have been plenty of pictures taken through cracks in the wall at Disneyland's Star Tours.

IMG_3259.jpg

Those pictures, like the one above taken a few weeks after the ride closed at Disneyland last July, showed that the entry area and indoor pre-show were being totally gutted and torn out, right down to the dirt under the cement foundation of the queue floor. They also have removed major walls and architectural parts of the indoor area, even moving structural support beams. At Disneyland, it appears the queue and pre-show area was being rebuilt from the dirt up.

But then again, the Disneyland rehab closure is about two months longer than the WDW version. Disneyland's Star Tours closed in July, 2010, while the DHS version didn't close to the public until September, 2010, and even then they didn't touch it for a while until after that "D23 last ride" thing took place, right?

Maybe this might have to do with structural issues DL's ride building could have? It lives in a high earthquake area after all.

TP2000

I was talking about the interiors. The interior of the two queues in Disneyland and WDW were nearly identical. The exteriors are different, but they haven't touched the exterior of the WDW version, and the exterior of the Disneyland version has only had cosmetic work done to the paintjob and signage and doors.

It's on the inside where massive work is taking place, and it's the insides of the two rides that were nearly exactly identical from the front door all the way to the exit ramp.

The biggest difference is that Disneyland only has four cabins, whereas DHS has six cabins. I would think the ride with extra cabins would get the longer rehab, but instead it was the opposite and Disneyland's ride closed in July instead of September. :veryconfu

TP2000

Has anyone been following Disneyland's opening date? Have they announced one yet?

There's a lot of rumors swirling that Star Tours at Disneyland may not open until June. There's still massive construction going on inside, and they are about to close the Star Trader gift shop at the exit for a rehab.

The other issue is that the month of May for Disneyland is already chock full of some big events;

May, 2011 - Disneyland Resort Events

Pirates IV Movie Premiere on Rivers of America
Little Mermaid - Ariel's Undersea Adventure grand opening
Goofy's Sky School grand opening
Debut of Paradise Garden area and two new restaurants
Mickey's Soundsational Parade debut at Disneyland

Then you add in Star Tours 2.0 also opening at Disneyland in May? How do you juggle all that stuff after the Pirates movie premiere is cleaned up by the middle of May? Do you launch all of those new rides, restaurants and a parade all on the same day in a mega-media event? Or do you space them out and stagger the announcements through early summer?

I don't envy the Disneyland planners! May/June will be very busy in Anaheim, which is why we haven't got a committed date for Star Tours 2.0 yet, or Little Mermaid, or Soundsational, or Goofy's Sky School, or even the new restaurants. :veryconfu

Captain Neo

There's a lot of rumors swirling that Star Tours at Disneyland may not open until June. There's still massive construction going on inside, and they are about to close the Star Trader gift shop at the exit for a rehab.

The other issue is that the month of May for Disneyland is already chock full of some big events;

May, 2011 - Disneyland Resort Events

Pirates IV Movie Premiere on Rivers of America
Little Mermaid - Ariel's Undersea Adventure grand opening
Goofy's Sky School grand opening
Debut of Paradise Garden area and two new restaurants
Mickey's Soundsational Parade debut at Disneyland

Then you add in Star Tours 2.0 also opening at Disneyland in May? How do you juggle all that stuff after the Pirates movie premiere is cleaned up by the middle of May? Do you launch all of those new rides, restaurants and a parade all on the same day in a mega-media event? Or do you space them out and stagger the announcements through early summer?

I don't envy the Disneyland planners! May/June will be very busy in Anaheim, which is why we haven't got a committed date for Star Tours 2.0 yet, or Little Mermaid, or Soundsational, or Goofy's Sky School, or even the new restaurants. :veryconfu

Disneyland has more exciting stuff going on in the month of May than Walt Disney World had this entire past decade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom