New sneakers?

YoungNY

Original Poster
I was thinking of getting new sneakers for my trip and I kinda want the new shape-ups but I've gotten mixed opinions from the people I've asked. So what is your opinion? Good shoes or not?

John

No matter what style you choose, you should break them in first...Having blisters dosnt sound like a nice way to spend your vacation, also if you have never worn those types of shoes.....I would reconsider. They are not for everyone.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Any shoe you find comfortable is the right shoe but everything about the Shape Up's supposed heath benefits just screams scam. For $100 or more per pair Sketchers should provide peer reviewed research and not just testimonials.

HouCuseChickie

Any shoe you find comfortable is the right shoe but everything about the Shape Up's supposed heath benefits just screams scam. For $100 or more per pair Sketchers should provide peer reviewed research and not just testimonials.

I agree with Master Yoda. I know a lot of people who own Shape Up's and swear they feel a difference, but the expert reviews are pretty mixed. While some say they should work in theory, many have yet to find any significant difference. I will admit that I was a sucker and bought the Reebok Easy Tones...thinking if I liked them enough, they'd be great at WDW. How wrong I was. They were relatively comfortable after I got used to them (which would be key for a trip to WDW)...but they didn't do a darn thing extra for toning...and the balance balls popped after a month of treadmill use. Granted- lots of sneakers don't hold up to a treadmill, but for the price- I was livid. :mad: I say just buy something you'd normally buy and know you'll find comfortable.

Magical Dreamer

Nike Definitions are the most comfortable I've ever found.....

shrink.jpg

mayrag

I'm trying my new Avia next week
I tried the shape ups and they felt too hard for me, that's why Ichose the avias instead which feels softer like walking on cotton balls

Whatever you choose you should try them at home first

Future Guy

Walked all over EPCOT this past Saturday in a pair of Nike Air Max 2010s. Yeah, they're expensive, but they're also extremely comfortable.

CP_alum08

If you are going to get these new 'fit' shoes, please get something that doesn't look hideous! Nike, Adidas, and Reebok all make their version of the same thing that doesn't look god awful. Sorry, but it's true.

That being said, as others have stated, just go with something that you know is comfortable. Don't go with brand new shoes hoping they are comfortable. There are probably an equal amount of people that go in expensive sneakers as people who go in cheap flip-flops, it all depends on what you are comfortable in.

EvilQueen-T

first i'd NEVER wear a pair of shoes that i hadn't broken in first. my son-in-law has a pair of sketchers and likes them but noticed when he first started wearing them that he felt "it" a little more in his back and legs for the first few weeks. i'm on my feet all day at work and i also walk about 5 miles most nights of the week so i'm accustomed to being on my feet but wdw still kicks my butt. i also always take several pairs of shoes/sandals with me when we go for more than a single days trip. i find that what's normally comfortable might change day to day when we are there plus if you get rained on etc...it's nice to have something to change into waiting for you back at the hotel.

Bravo 229

I agree with Master Yoda. I know a lot of people who own Shape Up's and swear they feel a difference, but the expert reviews are pretty mixed. While some say they should work in theory, many have yet to find any significant difference. I will admit that I was a sucker and bought the Reebok Easy Tones...thinking if I liked them enough, they'd be great at WDW. How wrong I was. They were relatively comfortable after I got used to them (which would be key for a trip to WDW)...but they didn't do a darn thing extra for toning...and the balance balls popped after a month of treadmill use. Granted- lots of sneakers don't hold up to a treadmill, but for the price- I was livid. :mad: I say just buy something you'd normally buy and know you'll find comfortable.

The balance balls pop very easily. My mom has had to send her shoes back to Reebok twice now after wearing them only a few times. They'll replace the shoes, but it doesn't seem worth the hassle!

I wear my running shoes and they hold up very well for me. If you're still undecided, buy some gel inserts from Wal-Mart. They work great and you can use them in any kind of shoe.

I recommend asics, they are comfortable and good for walking/running. One pair lasted me through my whole law enforcement academy. However, like everyone has said break them in!

tigsmom

Those types of shoes (ShapeUps, etc) are made to be worn for short periods of time, there have been numerous reports of people falling and getting hurt while wearing these as their normal everyday shoes because that is not what they were made for. If you decide to get new sneakers for the trip make sure you break them in first or you will end up with blisters. I have worn all types of sneakers at WDW, but at the end of the day my legs still hurt; the best shoes for WDW that I have found has been my Crocs (let's not revisit how ugly they are, etc...there are many styles to choose from) as my feet & legs never hurt at the end of the day.

wdwjmp239

Shape-Ups

Here's some "inside information" about the Shape-Up sneakers. I don't know how "inside" this is, but I'll try to interpret what my brother said about them.

For starters, my brother is a licensed massage therapist. He's been licensed with the State of Florida for about five years now. I asked him what his thoughts about the "Shape-Up" sneakers were. He told me he's seen an uptick in patients requiring massages and back adjustments (he refers those people to the chiropractor he works for). He said that the Shape-Up sneakers force your body into an "unnatural" position when you walk causing your body to experience some level of discomfort.

Based on what he's seen in the massage therapy field, I respect his opinion and will stay away from the Shape-Ups. Whenever I go to Disney and I know I'm going to need a new pair of sneakers, I make sure I buy my sneakers a month out and just break them in to the point where they mold to my feet. I recommend New Balance running shoes. Though, I'm sure any sneaker would do just fine. :)

wdwjmp239

Since we're talking about shoes....

Well, this is related to feet, at least. :p

My wife and I recently completed a three day vacation at Disney World over the weekend. This was the first time in about three years since we've been to Disney. Let me just say that our ankles were hurting so bad, we couldn't walk the day after we returned.

Today, our ankles are still a little swollen, but we can walk on them at least. For those who haven't seen Disney in a few years and are planning on going back? My friendly piece of advice is: Take It Easy and Pace Yourself! Plus, elevate your feet when you get back to the hotel room. You'll be glad you did. :wave:

Like so many other people have suggested....break them in no matter what you buy. I would suggest buying them more than a month out from the trip and wear them often. I bought new sneakers for my trip to the World one year. I had them for a least two months so I thought I was good. Was I wrong. Mole skin did not even work....just made it more painful to pull off the blister that developed underneath. It felt soooo good to sit down!! Standing up and starting to walk again was agony!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom