New Runner with a Goal...Suggestions?

cjgren

Original Poster
Hey everyone!

I'm a long time lurker of these boards and recently decided after my friend at work ran, that I wanted to run the Wine and Dine half in 2012. However, I'm in need of some advice.

I'm overweight to start this, and I've noticed as I run that my knees and shins seem to be aching around the half mile mark. I know I have a year but this is already stressing me out!

Does anyone have suggestions for this first time runner? :D

JillC LI

When I was first learning how to run, I found the Glover plan very helpful. It involves mingling intervals of walking and running for 20 minutes 4x per week with the walking periods becoming shorter and the running periods becoming longer each week. At the end of 10 weeks I could run 2 miles straight. Alot of people swear by the Couch-To-5K plan as well which has a similar method. Do NOT go for speed at the beginning because that can cause injuries in a new runner. Welcome to the boards and good luck with your endeavor. With dedication and effort, you can definitely achieve your goal!
:wave:

Kristia

I did the Couch to 5k method and really liked it. My other suggestion is to make sure you get fitted at a running store for good running shoes. A running store can assess your gait and tell you which shoes would be best for your running style. I used to have major shin pain but after getting better shoes it nearly went away. They also recommended that I put special inserts in my shoes because I overpronate when I run and that helped as well. Good luck with your training!

Texas84

Galloway walk-run. I started with that Feb. 2010 and I now have 3 half-marathons complete. I started running because I was approaching the Segway tour weight limit and the thought of running through WDW sounded fun. 24 pounds lighter now. Going to try and get that Mickey medal in January.
:wave:

frank2271

I agree with everything here, the couch to 5k is a popular plan, don't worry about time or speed and especially go to a running store. Just a little extra note on that, you don't have to buy the shoes at the expensive running store if you don't want. I had my gate evaluated and took my education to Sports Authority and purchased my new shoes with a 25% off coupon.

The correct shoes will make a world of difference.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress, we will help as much as we can.

Frank

Tater48

I'm new to this running for fun thing, too(although I've had many episodes of adrenaline based running at short distances, due to my job). Where would one go to get their gait evaluated, and just how do they do this? I'm thinking that the shoes could be part of the problem with the pain in the collarbone(old injury) that I get after about a half mile? Maybe it's my posture while running? I cycle and can go long distances with no pain. I'm going to give it a try, and want to try the Wine & Dine Half next year, but maybe I'm just not cut out to be a runner.

dreamfinder

First step - get out and move. Almost every beginner plan starts with walking, adding distance, and intermixing with runs. Second step - find a good couch to 5k plan, check out active.com, coolrunning.com, or any of the coaches mentioned above. STICK TO IT. See how long it takes to finish the plan, and register for a local 5k about that time. Third step - register for the Wine & Dine race as a motivator. Knowing you have dropped the cash and made the reservations is a great way to keep yourself on track. Fourth step - keep moving, and let us know how it goes. We have all types hanging out here, from the really crazy ultra marathon runners, to the people trying to get to their first 5k just like you.

Then start to look for a good half marathon training plan in line with your current goals, and see when you need to start following that. Odds are it will be 3-6 months out. But between now and then, just keep working on slowly adding the miles, and maybe even picking up the pace.

I agree with everything here, the couch to 5k is a popular plan, don't worry about time or speed and especially go to a running store. Just a little extra note on that, you don't have to buy the shoes at the expensive running store if you don't want. I had my gate evaluated and took my education to Sports Authority and purchased my new shoes with a 25% off coupon.

The correct shoes will make a world of difference.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress, we will help as much as we can.

Frank

I agree and disagree. Get fitted at a running store. By all means, best thing to do. However, buy something there. Yes it may be more expensive, but that extra money is what is paying for your fitting and knowledgeable staff. If people just get fitted and never buy anything, the running stores will go out of business.

faw286570

Welcome! I think everyone is giving you good advice on finding a plan to get started. Find a plan that fits you and follow its guidance.

This was not mentioned above so I will say it here - You can adjust training plans to fit your life - it may say "do this" on Monday and Wednesday may fit your schedule better on Tuesday and Thursday. Small changes like that are okay. Just don't alter them too much or you won't reap the benefits.

The long run day each week is important to build your fitness base.

Have fun and enjoy yourself!

Kristia

I'm new to this running for fun thing, too(although I've had many episodes of adrenaline based running at short distances, due to my job). Where would one go to get their gait evaluated, and just how do they do this? I'm thinking that the shoes could be part of the problem with the pain in the collarbone(old injury) that I get after about a half mile? Maybe it's my posture while running? I cycle and can go long distances with no pain. I'm going to give it a try, and want to try the Wine & Dine Half next year, but maybe I'm just not cut out to be a runner.

Try to find a store that specializes in running in your area. I went to Fleet Feet which is a chain that might be in your area. I know some places may put you on a treadmill and watch you run and then assess your gait with your current shoes and then let you run in other shoes and maybe orthotic inserts. My store didn't have a treadmill but sent me outside to run and watched my gait. My husband is a PT and can assess gaits as well but doesn't know which shoes are best for what gait. Anyway, he said they diagnosed me correctly and that gave him alot of faith in what they do. Also at Fleet Feet, they have told me that if they sell me a shoe and I wear it and run it for a bit and don't like, I can return it and try something else. I don't think the big stores would do that.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I started with a couch to 5k plan by rodrunner....it used the beat of music to cue you when to walk and when to run. After I completed that program, I registered for my 1st race, which was a 5 mile run in my hometown. I then followed Hal Higdon's plan for 1/2 marathon novices to run my first 1/2.

The point is to not bite off too much right away. Start slow and don't overtrain, because you're asking for injury then.

cjgren

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I'm getting a lot of suggestions for Couch to 5k...does it have a website? I seem to be getting a lot of different plans.

I'm currently running about a 1.5 at most...slowly trying to make my way to 2 miles this weekend!

Kristia

I'm getting a lot of suggestions for Couch to 5k...does it have a website? I seem to be getting a lot of different plans.

I'm currently running about a 1.5 at most...slowly trying to make my way to 2 miles this weekend!

I used the one from coolrunning.com - http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

They all follow the same basic premise though. Start with run/walk intervals and gradually increase the time spent running vs walking till you no longer need to walk. I don't have an iphone or ipod but I know there are apps that you can use that will cue you with music when you should walk. Used a stopwatch to keep track of my time spent running or walking. I liked the time method better than trying to measure distances in the beginning. Once I was running complete miles then I switched to distances.

Blueskyze

If you have a smartphone, download a Couch to 5K app. I'm about halfway through the program now, and I love having it on my phone. It beeps and tells me when to start running, when to stop, lets me know when I'm halfway done, and best of all - I can pull up my playlists and listen to music right from the app.

Best of luck!

cjgren

Original Poster
An update:

I ran 2.5 miles today in a little over 30 minutes! I stopped a few times to walk, the wind was blowing quite hard up here in Boston, but I'm proud that I can do it. I'm planning on running a Thanksgiving day 5k in a few weeks, so that's my next goal!

JillC LI

An update:

I ran 2.5 miles today in a little over 30 minutes! I stopped a few times to walk, the wind was blowing quite hard up here in Boston, but I'm proud that I can do it. I'm planning on running a Thanksgiving day 5k in a few weeks, so that's my next goal!

That's terrific! Congratulations!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom