New Rider Switch Policy is Terrible

21stamps

OP, I am glad that they helped you out and you got a fastpass for the ride. It was very nice of Disney to do that. This is not a personal bash but just an observation. I don't think things like this would have even come up 20 years ago. People used to do what they could and if they had issues, or children or whatever that caused them to miss a ride,event, movie(list goes on and on) then they were disappointed but took it as part of life. The place I work has had this woman call up and place an order and ask that we bring is outside for her because she had little kids and did not want the hassle of taking them out of the car! When did it become a thing that a person's kids(problems) are everyone else's problem?
This. If your kids are having a meltdown that lasts an hour, maybe it’s time to leave whatever you’re doing and go back to the hotel. Things happen when you have kids, that’s part of being a parent. Can’t blame whatever establishment you’re in.

maria_wdw2012

Original Poster
This. If your kids are having a meltdown that lasts an hour, maybe it’s time to leave whatever you’re doing and go back to the hotel. Things happen when you have kids, that’s part of being a parent. Can’t blame whatever establishment you’re in.
That's exactly what we did, we left the park in response. I'm not blaming Disney for my kids meltdown or my decision to forgo the window they gave me. The old policy would have allowed us to return at a later time once things had cooled off. The new one doesn't give that flexibility any more. There have been a lot of changes at Disney, for better or worse. I've been immune to most but this one hit home for me. Now that I know about the change I'll be better prepared in the future.

jaklgreen

You are right. At our local six flags they
We've used rider switch dozens of times before and it worked great for us because of the flexibility of using it at a later time. We always redeemed it the same day but just not immediately after the first parent rode. It isn't always easy to ride something back to back in a one hour time frame with little ones. I wasn't prepared as they had just literally changed the policy one day to the next on us. Again, I understand the need to crack down and reduce to return window time. It was until the end of the month. They could have just reduced it to the same day.
Why is it hard to ride something back to back? I mean you have waited in line for the ride already, the rides are only a few minutes long. I would think it would be more of a pain to come back again. I liked it when everyone went through the line and at the point of boarding the parent and small child waited off to the side and swapped right there as the other parent got off. That seems the most reasonable and convenient.

Last edited:

KrzyKtty

Why is it hard to ride something back to back? I mean you have waited I line for the ride already, the rides are only a few minutes long. I would think it would be more of a pain to come back again. I liked it when everyone went through the line and at the point of boarding the parent and small child waited off to the side and swapped right there as the other parent got off. That seems the most reasonable and convenient.
That was quite honestly one of the best parts of Universal. I hate ride swap at Disney because it means my family has to be split up longer. At Universal everyone goes through the line together. You then take the little one off to the side and swap right there at the ride. So much easier IMO. However, when we were at Disney we did use the Ride Swap multiple times. Every time I rode immediately after. And there were a few times my then newly turned 4 year old lost her smit, and I was more than happy to dump her screaming butt on her father for 15 minutes lol. Normally when I came back he had managed to calm her down again.

Only bad part about Ride Swap in general is my 8 year old who would ride both times. I always went second and his enthusiasm couldn't keep him from spoiling every aspect of every ride. :hilarious: Try being fully immersed in FOP while you have an over eager beaver sitting next to you telling you about every scene coming up, then asking you every minute how you like it. :rolleyes:

21stamps

That's exactly what we did, we left the park in response. I'm not blaming Disney for my kids meltdown or my decision to forgo the window they gave me. The old policy would have allowed us to return at a later time once things had cooled off. The new one doesn't give that flexibility any more. There have been a lot of changes at Disney, for better or worse. I've been immune to most but this one hit home for me. Now that I know about the change I'll be better prepared in the future.

I understand being sad about missing it. Trust me, I would be too. I’m just happy to see Disney tightening up their rules. People should be able to ride back to back, and if something happens where they miss, then that’s unfortunate but gets filed under the “darn kids” category.
Unfortunately, people have become so demanding/expecting that Disney make everything right for them, no matter if it’s a situation that had anything to do with Disney or not. The result is the many threads on how Disney is ‘wrong because..’, and people expecting/asking for anytime FPs every chance they get. That type of behavior ends up ruining things for other people, one way or another.

In your situation you had a spouse there, you and the child could have quickly ridden and then met up with Dad and the melt downs.. you chose not to do that, which is fine, but it was completely your choice when you had a competent adult there as well.

Anyway, I don’t want to sound so harsh. I hope the rest of the vacation was great!

drizgirl

It was just like the old rider switch where all parties riding first with a fastpass had to scan it. Then the cast member scanned the returning party's band to register the switch as a fastpass in the MDE system. I noticed the fastpass showed up immediately in MDE but with no return time showing. There was also a link to read Redemption Details for it that was not working. I'm sure they're still working out the kinks in MDE.
So you still get to double up on fastpasses (because only the initial riders need a fastpass) but the system is "terrible"?

Shouldigo12

I think it's a bit harsh to criticize OP for not leaving her kids with her husband. She never said he couldn't handle the meltdown. It seems to me like she was just trying to be nice to him and handle the tantrums together, instead of shoving the kids at him and racing off to get on a ride. IMO, the window could be opened up a bit more. Maybe not be open for the parent to return anytime for the next month, but adding an extra or so to the window to give parents time to deal with any emergencies wouldn't be that terrible.

Hockey89

Glad it got sorted out. Just out of curiosity, did you try to talk to a CM working Splash Mountain at the time? That really sounds like the sort of thing they'd make an exception for if they heard your tale of woe at the time it happened
And that is why they changed the policy because people will make up anything and abuse it. Hour is plenty... if you miss it because of "meltdowns" oh well....

pezgirlroy

That was quite honestly one of the best parts of Universal. I hate ride swap at Disney because it means my family has to be split up longer. At Universal everyone goes through the line together. You then take the little one off to the side and swap right there at the ride. So much easier IMO. However, when we were at Disney we did use the Ride Swap multiple times. Every time I rode immediately after. And there were a few times my then newly turned 4 year old lost her smit, and I was more than happy to dump her screaming butt on her father for 15 minutes lol. Normally when I came back he had managed to calm her down again.

Only bad part about Ride Swap in general is my 8 year old who would ride both times. I always went second and his enthusiasm couldn't keep him from spoiling every aspect of every ride. :hilarious: Try being fully immersed in FOP while you have an over eager beaver sitting next to you telling you about every scene coming up, then asking you every minute how you like it. :rolleyes:
Yes I thought Rider Swap worked really well at Universal. The places to wait were inside so you were out of the sun. Gave my 2 year old a break.

jaklgreen

I think it's a bit harsh to criticize OP for not leaving her kids with her husband. She never said he couldn't handle the meltdown. It seems to me like she was just trying to be nice to him and handle the tantrums together, instead of shoving the kids at him and racing off to get on a ride. IMO, the window could be opened up a bit more. Maybe not be open for the parent to return anytime for the next month, but adding an extra or so to the window to give parents time to deal with any emergencies wouldn't be that terrible.

I don't think she is being criticized for staying with her kids. Not everyone would have done that, that part is true. It is not the issue of her staying with her kids, it is that she made that choice and now is mad at Disney for not accommodating her decision. We all make choices, but should everyone bend the rules just because of the choice you made? Why bother having the rules then? We all need to realize that our issues are not anyone else's problem. Make you choices and live with them.

Shouldigo12

I don't think she is being criticized for staying with her kids. Not everyone would have done that, that part is true. It is not the issue of her staying with her kids, it is that she made that choice and now is mad at Disney for not accommodating her decision. We all make choices, but should everyone bend the rules just because of the choice you made? Why bother having the rules then? We all need to realize that our issues are not anyone else's problem. Make you choices and live with them.
I think a lot of people forget that Disney is , first and foremost, a family park. Implimenting a rider switch system that doesn't give families enough time for dealing with emergencies isn't a great decision. A family park shouldn't be asking parents to choose between taking care of their kids or getting on their rides, especially not at this price point. We all make our choices, yes, but this isn't a choice that should have to be made in the first place.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I think a lot of people forget that Disney is , first and foremost, a family park. Implimenting a rider switch system that doesn't give families enough time for dealing with emergencies isn't a great decision. A family park shouldn't be asking parents to choose between taking care of their kids or getting on their rides, especially not at this price point. We all make our choices, yes, but this isn't a choice that should have to be made in the first place.
Except it's a "child swap," not a "split the parents so they can run off and do some other ride (and meal, and shopping) and then come back and ride when they feel like it."

Shouldigo12

Except it's a "child swap," not a "split the parents so they can run off and do some other ride (and meal, and shopping) and then come back and ride when they feel like it."
So you also don't think it's a good system then? I agree a straight child swap makes more sense but that's not the system Disney has in place.

nickys

Premium Member
Yes I thought Rider Swap worked really well at Universal. The places to wait were inside so you were out of the sun. Gave my 2 year old a break.

But then, on the other hand...

Imagine having to queue for 7dmt with a just too small to ride toddler. Who then sees big brother and sister getting to ride and has to sit out. Isn't it better to be able to take the toddler to ride the carousel or Dumbo whilst the others go ride?

We never used RS so have no particular views either way. But I quite like that it's limited so that it can't just be used as an extra anytime FP. At the same time, allowing the other parent to ride at the end of the day, when maybe the toddler is back in bed and big brother stays in the park as a treat, is also fine with me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom