New Rider Switch Policy is Terrible

jaklgreen

Yea I get that. I worked as a server for years. Sometimes I even miss it lol. I actually edited my original post because I stated even the best parents have kids who at times act like d-bags lol. I was afraid someone would twist it. Yes I know that there are garbage/lazy parents who truly have brats as kids. I just didn't like how a previous poster referred to these 2 year old toddlers as brats. Like, they're 2. Are their tantrums annoying? Duh. Are they brats because of it? Eh...
I dunno. Maybe I'm being too sensitive. Always possible :) I just would hate for someone to have seen my kid at a bad moment and just write him off as a brat when he was a good kid the majority of the time. And yea...no way in H#LL would I have ever let him behave like a lunatic in public to the point that he was ruining other peoples' time. I would remove him immediately and at times didn't even bother taking him places until he learned how to behave properly. I'm not perfect either but I try to be conscientious to other people. Also I don't wanna be judged haha.

Kids will be kids. I don't think people are really judging how the kids acts but more so how the parents are handling it. If it looks like they are trying to mitigate it, I think most people are understanding.

ColinP29

If I'm going to Disney with my two young kids, I won't even consider going on a ride and making my kids wait for almost an hour while I do it. I want to spend my holiday with my family, not going on stuff on my own.

jaklgreen

If I'm going to Disney with my two young kids, I won't even consider going on a ride and making my kids wait for almost an hour while I do it. I want to spend my holiday with my family, not going on stuff on my own.

It is not always an hour. If you have a fast pass then the first person rides and is off probably within 15 minutes then the next person goes right on. Especially during the slow times. That is why I think the old original system is best. You all go through and as soon as the first rider is off then you switch immediately. This new way of coming back does seem more of a hassle to me, and a time waster.

mikejs78

Premium Member
People are parents of a small child or children for a limited time. During that time, the parents should make appropriate accommodations and that includes a change of lifestyle to not inconvenience others, including in restaurants and amusement parks.
We didn't bring our kids until they were old enough to both walk around with us all day. Even with that, the younger one doesn't remember her first trip at all, though she was aware enough to enjoy it. We don't regret bringing her, but we also went to other age appropriate non-Disney park things without all the hassle and expense of a Disney vacation.
The fact that there was a rider swap that was good for a month just blows my mind.
Situations aren't always that simple. Our two boys are 7 years apart in age. Our oldest is 8 and youngest is 1. Since our oldest is at a great age for Disney, we don't want to deprive him of the opportunity until his brother is older. And Disney in particular is built to accommodate families with young kids (very elaborate baby centers, changing tables in every restroom, etc) so frankly that's a value judgement on your part that Disney isn't suitable for really young kids isn't shared by Disney.

The Mom

Premium Member
Situations aren't always that simple. Our two boys are 7 years apart in age. Our oldest is 8 and youngest is 1. Since our oldest is at a great age for Disney, we don't want to deprive him of the opportunity until his brother is older. And Disney in particular is built to accommodate families with young kids (very elaborate baby centers, changing tables in every restroom, etc) so frankly that's a value judgement on your part that Disney isn't suitable for really young kids isn't shared by Disney.

Mine are almost 10 years apart. Fortunately, I live close by (3 hrs) so solved the problem by allowing my eldest to bring a friend. They would ride an attraction while I would find something quiet (close by) and meet them at the exit. Riding the Wedway with the little one while they rode SM, for example.

Willmark

Then you’re abiding by the one hour policy as it stands now.

HansGruber

Go to the resort concierge and explain the situation. They should be more than willing to comp you a FP.

I did this a few times and got comp'd for my entire party, which I didn't ask for.

CaptainAmerica

Right, because those are the only two options. :cautious:

Not every trip, but my parents travel with us sometimes and they'll take the girls to a meet and greet or something while we ride a ride. More commonly, my older daughter wants to ride everything with us while someone stays behind with the baby.

ColinP29

Right, because those are the only two options. :cautious:

Not every trip, but my parents travel with us sometimes and they'll take the girls to a meet and greet or something while we ride a ride. More commonly, my older daughter wants to ride everything with us while someone stays behind with the baby.

No, obviously not the only two options, but in the example given no grandparents were there. Obviously if you have other adults they can take the kids on rides while you go on other rides.

The example was that while the adults took turns going on the ride, the kids were waiting potentially up to an hour. If you're going to try and be a smart @rse, at least be right

CaptainAmerica

No, obviously not the only two options, but in the example given no grandparents were there. Obviously if you have other adults they can take the kids on rides while you go on other rides.

The example was that while the adults took turns going on the ride, the kids were waiting potentially up to an hour. If you're going to try and be a smart @rse, at least be right
That literally never happens. No kid is "waiting patiently" doing nothing for an hour during rider swap. The kid goes off with the other parent to do something else in the area.

jaklgreen

the kids were waiting potentially up to an hour.

I think you are making it to be worse in your head then it really is. I mean we are talking about very small children in this situation. For kids that age, even walking around and looking at the scenery is SOMETHING to them. It's not like they are sitting in an empty room with nothing to look at or do. They are with the other parent and I am assuming that they are being entertained in some manner, either with a snack, a ride, or sightseeing. Parents now complicate the crap out of everything. None of this was an issue before. You don't have to plan every single second of your life out because you have kids. I find it hard to believe that someone can not find something to do with a toddler at WDW for an hour. People have been parenting since the beginning of time without expecting all of these concessions. Just go with your kid and have fun. If you miss a ride or two during the trip because you kid is still little, big frickin deal.

Patcheslee

I would personally prefer the option for kids to go through the queue with parents. But that's because up until DD was 48 inches she liked to go through, wait at the exit with one of us and watch the other one ride at the local parks. Guess she is living vicariously through us?😁

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom