Rumor New ride coming to Animal Kingdom. D23 announcement expected.

ImperfectPixie

So I can’t have fun too? That’s why I’d wait until we can do everything together. So we all get the most out of it.

Either that or maybe I get some daddy time late at the park when the kid has to go to bed early. Mommy can get time too if she wants on another night.

Who knows though. This is all waaaaaaaay in the future anyway.

Judging by your age in your profile I’ll guess your wife’s parents are maybe a decade or a little more younger than my grandparents (80’s). Last time they went was in ‘98 or ‘99. They know they can’t go anymore because of all the walking required.

Cheaper in the long run because less trips. Once you have a kid just don’t go at all for a few years till they can go on mostly everything ;)

Of course this is if you’re not a Florida resident. I live 3 hours away and could easily go up for just a single day for pretty cheap if I already have passes if we must absolutely go when the kid is still in diapers.
I think you're looking at bringing little kids the wrong way...yes, it slows down your pace a bit, but you get to experience the parks through another lens - the eyes of a child who has no preconceptions of what "should be" and who doesn't care who owns what or which IP is put where. Think of it as seeing the world from your own height compared to seeing the world while on your hands and knees - it's an entirely different perspective, and it gave my husband and I an appreciation for Disney parks even greater than what we'd had previously. Hubby and I both went to WDW as young teens, then we honeymooned there, then brought our kids on their first trip when they were 2 1/2 and 7 in 2013, and we've been back more in the interim...and personally, I'm glad the kids made us slow down because we're able to take much more joy in things we otherwise wouldn't have paid much attention to. We've never gone back to our resort mid-day - our youngest was really great about napping in his stroller thanks to being dragged along on all the stuff his brother was involved in - and we simply plan enough in-park breaks/sit-down meals that we've always been able to do the parks open-to-close if that's what we want to do. And if hubby or I ever did want to go on a ride the kids were too little for, we just took turns and one of us would bring them someplace near that ride for a drink and a snack while the other rides or we'd split up for a bit and one of us would ride say Space Mountain while the other rides Dumbo with the kids. Bringing little kids isn't like going to the parks with an anchor around your neck. (Although I can imagine it would seem that way depending on what type of parent you are - we're such that when we're on vacation, strict bed-time goes out the window, lol.)

pdude81

I think you're looking at bringing little kids the wrong way...yes, it slows down your pace a bit, but you get to experience the parks through another lens - the eyes of a child who has no preconceptions of what "should be" and who doesn't care who owns what or which IP is put where. Think of it as seeing the world from your own height compared to seeing the world while on your hands and knees - it's an entirely different perspective, and it gave my husband and I an appreciation for Disney parks even greater than what we'd had previously. Hubby and I both went to WDW as young teens, then we honeymooned there, then brought our kids on their first trip when they were 2 1/2 and 7 in 2013, and we've been back more in the interim...and personally, I'm glad the kids made us slow down because we're able to take much more joy in things we otherwise wouldn't have paid much attention to. We've never gone back to our resort mid-day - our youngest was really great about napping in his stroller thanks to being dragged along on all the stuff his brother was involved in - and we simply plan enough in-park breaks/sit-down meals that we've always been able to do the parks open-to-close if that's what we want to do. And if hubby or I ever did want to go on a ride the kids were too little for, we just took turns and one of us would bring them someplace near that ride for a drink and a snack while the other rides or we'd split up for a bit and one of us would ride say Space Mountain while the other rides Dumbo with the kids. Bringing little kids isn't like going to the parks with an anchor around your neck. (Although I can imagine it would seem that way depending on what type of parent you are - we're such that when we're on vacation, strict bed-time goes out the window, lol.)

Bravo

UNCgolf

So I can’t have fun too? That’s why I’d wait until we can do everything together. So we all get the most out of it.

That's what you're missing, though. You don't all get the most out of it that way because you wouldn't let little kids experience the parks in their own way. That experience as a 4-5 year old is totally different from the experience as an older kid. They might get more out of the experience as a 5 year old than they do as a 10 year old, in which case you'd be maximizing YOUR experience at the expense of your kids.

Mike S

That's what you're missing, though. You don't all get the most out of it that way because you wouldn't let little kids experience the parks in their own way. That experience as a 4-5 year old is totally different from the experience as an older kid. They might get more out of the experience as a 5 year old than they do as a 10 year old, in which case you'd be maximizing YOUR experience at the expense of your kids.
When did I say 10? I thought it was established earlier that for most rides at Disney you’re tall enough at about 5-6. Maybe not Rock n’ Roller Coaster but I don’t care much about that ride myself anyway.

DCLcruiser

When did I say 10? I thought it was established earlier that for most rides at Disney you’re tall enough at about 5-6. Maybe not Rock n’ Roller Coaster but I don’t care much about that ride myself anyway.
Come on. It's the only Scream Machine at WDW. It goes upside down, and therefore is the greatest ride available...

RSoxNo1

DAK is a fantastic park and I love it. But the biggest thing I want to bring up from my earlier post is that what DAK needs more than anything is more indoor stuff. The park doesn't offer the opportunity to get out of the sun (or rain in those cases) that other parks in WDW do. Now, part of that is understandable as it is a "nature" park and being indoors is somewhat counter to that. But there are certainly opportunities for some increased opportunities to beat the heat.

I do actually praise the fact that Pandora's two rides are indoors, though NRJ should have been longer. They were the first and only rides other than Dinosaur to be inside for the park. I would still like to see more in that vein - wouldn't it be nice if they took the time travel Dinosaur premise and expanded it that they have a "dinosaur zoo" as part of the institute where you can ride a ride and see all of the (AA) dinosaurs? Like the best part of Universe of Energy but without the silly/incorrect energy concept.

Or add a dark ride to Asia. Something like Mystic Manor or, if they really want an IP theme, a boat ride themed to Jungle Book.

I just feel like some stuff like that would round out of the park and really be a compliment to what already is there. A bike coaster would surely be cool, but not really key for a park that has a decent percentate of its rides already of the "thrill" variety.
It needs indoor attractions without height requirements.

If you are pregnant or have an infant, 1 year old or 2 year old, the park really isn't worth going to. It's my favorite park in the world, but it needs more rides without restrictions.

dreamfinder

I know. I watched my little cousin meet characters last summer. I also noticed how during that trip I got significantly less done than I normally can because of her.

Never have I gotten as few attractions in on a trip than when I started bringing my DS with us. Nor did I think I could ride the carousel, Aladdin and Dumbo as many times in one day as I have (don't even remember how long ago I last got on Pirates or Haunted Mansion). However, seeing his face light up when he sees Pooh & Co, or having him ask us when he can go ride Barnstormer again months after we returned home is what it's all about. Rides come and go, but the memories of him at 1 grabbing sorcerer Mickey by the hand and dragging him around the set of his M&G checking out the the random props with glee will be there forever.

Mike S

Never have I gotten as few attractions in on a trip than when I started bringing my DS with us. Nor did I think I could ride the carousel, Aladdin and Dumbo as many times in one day as I have (don't even remember how long ago I last got on Pirates or Haunted Mansion). However, seeing his face light up when he sees Pooh & Co, or having him ask us when he can go ride Barnstormer again months after we returned home is what it's all about. Rides come and go, but the memories of him at 1 grabbing sorcerer Mickey by the hand and dragging him around the set of his M&G checking out the the random props with glee will be there forever.
Again, I know. It was very cute seeing my little cousin interact with the characters. There’s one in particular I like where my cousin (the mother) was holding her next to Mickey and the baby leaned over almost out of her arms to hug Mickey. The look on my cousins face was priceless and I always tell her to frame the picture in her house. I’m sure it will be different when it’s my own kid but I still don’t like the idea of changing the trips around so much to center around things so, boring.

Either way sorry for the derailment.

ImperfectPixie

Again, I know. It was very cute seeing my little cousin interact with the characters. There’s one in particular I like where my cousin (the mother) was holding her next to Mickey and the baby leaned over almost out of her arms to hug Mickey. The look on my cousins face was priceless and I always tell her to frame the picture in her house. I’m sure it will be different when it’s my own kid but I still don’t like the idea of changing the trips around so much to center around things so, boring.

Either way sorry for the derailment.
That's the thing though...when it IS your own kid, those things aren't boring anymore. :)

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Well yeah, of course, but most people taking kids to the park are doing it for their kids, not for themselves.

I'm not going to disagree with this take about "most people" but that wasn't the idea that Walt envisioned IMO. It's also a bit of a slippery slope because IMO it's the older people who care more about thematic consistency, etc.

If kids are the only judge of what makes a quality attraction, that would make things much less special

brb1006

It baffles me that Disney seemingly hasn’t been looking at possible dark rides for Jungle Book or Lion King for this park yet.
Bambi also deserves more representation at the parks besides Thumper and Miss Bunny who shows up once in a while. Especially since AK is the only park where the film would actually fit. Maybe bringing back Flower as a meetable character.

And yes, I'm aware that there's already been discussions about the film's darker themes in previous threads. But I prefer to focus on the positive and upbeat parts of the film. For example, anything that takes place from the first two acts of the film up till the Ice Skating scene with Thumper and Bambi (the exception is the time skip where Friend Owl meets Bambi, Flower, and Thumper as adults or the Twitterpated scene).

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
With the new live action version having been released, it would be nice if they put a similar Dumbo spinner in AK. Instead of having cartoon Dumbos, have animatronics with big ears and trunks that randomly spit water on guests. They have plenty of room in AK's Harambe for a single or double Dumbo.
Image result for dumbo live action
https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/culture/story/dumbo-live-action-adaptation-ahead-release-61640019

Harambe is one of the the best themed areas anywhere in WDW.

The last thing it needs is a spinner to break the immersion.

Fox&Hound

DAK is a fantastic park and I love it. But the biggest thing I want to bring up from my earlier post is that what DAK needs more than anything is more indoor stuff. The park doesn't offer the opportunity to get out of the sun (or rain in those cases) that other parks in WDW do. Now, part of that is understandable as it is a "nature" park and being indoors is somewhat counter to that. But there are certainly opportunities for some increased opportunities to beat the heat.

I do actually praise the fact that Pandora's two rides are indoors, though NRJ should have been longer. They were the first and only rides other than Dinosaur to be inside for the park. I would still like to see more in that vein - wouldn't it be nice if they took the time travel Dinosaur premise and expanded it that they have a "dinosaur zoo" as part of the institute where you can ride a ride and see all of the (AA) dinosaurs? Like the best part of Universe of Energy but without the silly/incorrect energy concept.

Or add a dark ride to Asia. Something like Mystic Manor or, if they really want an IP theme, a boat ride themed to Jungle Book.

I just feel like some stuff like that would round out of the park and really be a compliment to what already is there. A bike coaster in Pandora would surely have been cool, but not really key for a park that has a decent percentage of its rides already of the "thrill" variety.

I 100% agree (although I usually do with your posts) that AK suffers from expereinces where you can escape the heat. For my family, it always rains when we are there- always. And to me it is the hottest of the parks, maybe it is all of the vegetation. I have always said I wish they had a huge indoor, air-conditioned people-mover (Haunted Mansion, Mystic Manor, Mermaid) type ride. Asia is begging for something in that unused space and they could use it to eat crowds. One big E tickets and two smaller C/D tickets would make AK a favorite for me.

I love the themeing of AK but for me it just needs more....

Fox&Hound

With the original Lion King being the MASSIVE hit that it was and the new "live-action" remake making over $1 billion there is no way they are not considering a ion king ride. I know they already have the show but a ride would be fantastic....

doctornick

With the original Lion King being the MASSIVE hit that it was and the new "live-action" remake making over $1 billion there is no way they are not considering a ion king ride. I know they already have the show but a ride would be fantastic....

At one point they had considered a dark ride for TLK as part of the Harambe expansion. But it was apparently nixed along the way according to @marni1971

Timothy_Q

Ravenclaw78

With the new live action version having been released, it would be nice if they put a similar Dumbo spinner in AK. Instead of having cartoon Dumbos, have animatronics with big ears and trunks that randomly spit water on guests. They have plenty of room in AK's Harambe for a single or double Dumbo.
Image result for dumbo live action
https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/culture/story/dumbo-live-action-adaptation-ahead-release-61640019

I couldn't find a NO meme that was sufficiently NO to express the amount of NO that this idea merits...

rowrbazzle

Bambi also deserves more representation at the parks besides Thumper and Miss Bunny who shows up once in a while. Especially since AK is the only park where the film would actually fit. Maybe bringing back Flower as a meetable character.

And yes, I'm aware that there's already been discussions about the film's darker themes in previous threads. But I prefer to focus on the positive and upbeat parts of the film. For example, anything that takes place from the first two acts of the film up till the Ice Skating scene with Thumper and Bambi (the exception is the time skip where Friend Owl meets Bambi, Flower, and Thumper as adults or the Twitterpated scene).

I was a little worried showing Bambi to my kids. They'd read the story in a book, but the book only covered the first half of the story (nothing sad). It turns out they loved it. I'd like to see more Bambi in the parks too. I don't think having dark themes in the movie should preclude it from representation. Sleeping Beauty has a pretty frightening villain - and said villain is a huge part of the parade. Also, like you said, the film certainly fits the theme of Animal Kingdom and conservation.

brb1006

I was a little worried showing Bambi to my kids. They'd read the story in a book, but the book only covered the first half of the story (nothing sad). It turns out they loved it. I'd like to see more Bambi in the parks too. I don't think having dark themes in the movie should preclude it from representation. Sleeping Beauty has a pretty frightening villain - and said villain is a huge part of the parade. Also, like you said, the film certainly fits the theme of Animal Kingdom and conservation.
I think the version your kids read was a cleaned up version.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom