New RFID technology in the parks?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Original Poster
From Screamscape:

General Resort News - (8/17/11) A very interesting news story involving some NextGen Disney Tech that we might expect to see announced as early as this weekend can be found at DizFanatic today. According to the article, Disney is testing some new and very colorful RFID encoded wristbands that they are hoping to have guests begin wearing in the parks.

You can pick the color of your plain band, or even spend a little extra to buy a band with your favorite characters on them, but it’s what inside that counts. The RFID bands are thought to serve not only as your theme park ticket, but will be used with the FastPass system, an upgraded PhotoPass system, possibly with new interactive games in the parks as well as trigger some special and very personal reactions from various technology set up in the parks throughout the day. (Like… how would you like to have Davy Jones call you out by name the next ride you ride through Pirates? Talk about spooky…)

Article link to DizFanatic:

http://dizfanatic.com/DizTech012.aspx

Mr D Duck

Once again the loyal guests who choose to stay off-property yet still visit WDW every year are cruelly overlooked.
That is unless they are planning to hand out wristbands to off-property guests as they arrive at the park each morning. That will make the morning rush for TSM look quite civilised.

Pioneer Hall

Once again the loyal guests who choose to stay off-property yet still visit WDW every year are cruelly overlooked.
That is unless they are planning to hand out wristbands to off-property guests as they arrive at the park each morning. That will make the morning rush for TSM look quite civilised.

While I completely understand the frustration, I personally wouldn't see a problem in Disney using this as a big incentive for guests to stay in their hotels. Disney is a business and they are going to do what it takes to keep sleeping in their rooms, eating in their restaurants, and shopping in their stores. Universal offers free front of the line access to their resort guests, so I see no problem in upping the incentive to compete with that.

As far as the topic at hand goes, I think that this sounds pretty interesting. It will be interesting to see how this progresses.

djkidkaz

I'm not wearing an arm band while on vacation. What is this, a carnival? Having Mickey know my name or to have it store my fastpass for me is pointless. I can just print out the pass and store it in my wallet like I always do.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm not wearing an arm band while on vacation. What is this, a carnival? Having Mickey know my name or to have it store my fastpass for me is pointless. I can just print out the pass and store it in my wallet like I always do.

Well, when you attend special events like MNSSHP or MVMCP you are required to wear a wristband. I guess they are trying this program out on a larger scale.

Everything still appears to be in the testing stages though, including the wristbands....

Mr D Duck

While I completely understand the frustration, I personally wouldn't see a problem in Disney using this as a big incentive for guests to stay in their hotels. Disney is a business and they are going to do what it takes to keep sleeping in their rooms, eating in their restaurants, and shopping in their stores. Universal offers free front of the line access to their resort guests, so I see no problem in upping the incentive to compete with that.

I think that what Disney is now proposing is to offer the theme park experience on two different levels; one for resort guests and one for "regular guests."

I understand the need to create some incentive for people to stay on property but I feel this would be taking it a step too far. Afterall, we all pay the same price for admission to the theme park so why should the experience during regular park hours be any different? Resort guests have EMH afterall.
Further, it wouldn't make economic sense to exclude off-property guests from this enterprise as part of it at least is aimed at selling more Photopass products by making the process more streamlined.

As far as Universal goes, let's face it, they are in an incredibly tough market and attempting to convince people to spend their vacation with them is an uphill struggle. Insane incentives like front of the line access are needed, Disney has no need to employ the same level of incentive.

What it comes down to is I enjoy spending a day at the park, heading back to my private villa away from the crowds to relax before returning in the early evening refreshed to enjoy the rest of the day. Being surrounded by Disney 24/7 may be a dream to some people (particularly around here) but to me, taking a regular break from the magic makes the time you spend there much more enjoyable. I do not appreciate being penalised further by Disney for making this choice.

GhostHost999

I was also wondering what this means for people who just don't like to wear wristbands, I know it makes a lot of people feel claustrophobic. And what happens when you loose your wristband? How well can they possibly stay on? Furthermore, I could definitely see people picking up any wristband they find and using it as a free fastpass for the rest of the day, how will that problem be addressed? I know this is all still speculation, but I see a lot of possible nightmares with these things...

Pioneer Hall

I think that what Disney is now proposing is to offer the theme park experience on two different levels; one for resort guests and one for "regular guests."

I understand the need to create some incentive for people to stay on property but I feel this would be taking it a step too far. Afterall, we all pay the same price for admission to the theme park so why should the experience during regular park hours be any different? Resort guests have EMH afterall.
Further, it wouldn't make economic sense to exclude off-property guests from this enterprise as part of it at least is aimed at selling more Photopass products by making the process more streamlined.

As far as Universal goes, let's face it, they are in an incredibly tough market and attempting to convince people to spend their vacation with them is an uphill struggle. Insane incentives like front of the line access are needed, Disney has no need to employ the same level of incentive.

What it comes down to is I enjoy spending a day at the park, heading back to my private villa away from the crowds to relax before returning in the early evening refreshed to enjoy the rest of the day. Being surrounded by Disney 24/7 may be a dream to some people (particularly around here) but to me, taking a regular break from the magic makes the time you spend there much more enjoyable. I do not appreciate being penalised further by Disney for making this choice.

Like I said, I understand your disappointment, but I can't argue with Disney if this is for resort guests (and this is so early, it's almost silly to speculate at this point). The majority of visitors to the parks each day are off property guests. If Disney wants to try and do something big to sway those people into their hotels, then I can't say I blame them.

bayoubelle

amuck, amuck, amuck

Yes but as onsite guests we pay stupid amounts of money for our resorts. If Disney wants to finally start showing some appreciation, I'm good.

It isn't an uphill struggle for me to spend money at Universal. I love throwing money at them and spend more vacation dollars there than at WDW. Their "insane incentive" makes staying there the most relaxing part of our Orlando trips.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Original Poster
I was also wondering what this means for people who just don't like to wear wristbands, I know it makes a lot of people feel claustrophobic. And what happens when you loose your wristband? How well can they possibly stay on? Furthermore, I could definitely see people picking up any wristband they find and using it as a free fastpass for the rest of the day, how will that problem be addressed? I know this is all still speculation, but I see a lot of possible nightmares with these things...

I know how they feel; I get the same way with my wedding ring from time to time.....:)

And I'm sure if a wristband was lost, they could pick a new one up at Guest Relations, with the old one getting shut down. Yes, there's potential for trouble, but probably no more so than if a guest lost their ticket or KTTW card.....

lebeau

I have thought for a long time that Disney needed to offer resort guests a little something extra. Something like this could work if that is indeed how Disney intends to use it.

Look at it this way, if it's something great you can always choose to stay on site and enjoy it like the rest of us. If it's not, you're not missing anything.

So far, I'm not hearing anything earth shattering. Sounds like a small convenience for on-site guests. Nothing to get worked up over.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
My guess is they are the rubber type bands like you get with the myriad of "awareness" or charitable organizations put out or like the Energy Armor bands. I think it's a great idea and I for one would love to have my room key, park pass, fast passes, photo pass, and anything else that keeps me from having to carry my wallet with me in the park.

For those upset that this might not be offered to those guests staying off property, get hired onto TDO, make your way up the corporate ladder, convince your boss it's a bad idea then axe it.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia

I totally hear what you are saying as I'm not too keen on the idea either. However, when we stayed at an all inclusive resort in Aruba, we had to wear a wristband for the duration of our stay. It was to prove that you didn't just wander in to the resort to take advantage of free drinks, food, etc.

When they first put it on, I thought it was going to annoy me, but it wasn't so bad. These weren't the typical cheap carnival style wristbands though.

Lee

Adventurer
Nothing really new in that article. We've talked about most of those applications here for at least a year. Nice job getting the art, though.

Eh...I don't mind wearing a wristband. That's no big deal.

What worries me is that this NextGen project has become so big, so expensive, that I fear management may see it as an attraction in and of itself, rather than just the enhancement that it really is.

Possibly the biggest announcement for WDW at D23 will be this stuff.:shrug:

jim1051

Before everyone rants and raves about what they won't wear or where they don't want to stay, why not wait and see how these might actually be used ?

bjlc57

Nothing really new in that article. We've talked about most of those applications here for at least a year. Nice job getting the art, though.

Eh...I don't mind wearing a wristband. That's no big deal.

What worries me is that this NextGen project has become so big, so expensive, that I fear management may see it as an attraction in and of itself, rather than just the enhancement that it really is.

Possibly the biggest announcement for WDW at D23 will be this stuff.:shrug:

and what does this say about Disney , if this the biggest announcement? its a shame and a sham.. a shame for management, and a sham for the fans, come and get your "new wristband " that intitles you to stuff that you already were intitled to .. .

erasure fan1

and what does this say about Disney , if this the biggest announcement? its a shame and a sham.. a shame for management, and a sham for the fans, come and get your "new wristband " that intitles you to stuff that you already were intitled to .. .

Ha, Exactly. Well we didnt add that new E-ticket or expand AK or the studios but we have this awesome new wristband system! :lookaroun

The wristbands dont bother me really, I actually think it would be easier than carrying around a ticket. My only question/concern is how the fastpass system will work. So far the rumors that have been doled out Im not a fan of, I guess we will just have to wait and see.

ArtieJim

If I don't wear a bracelet during my every day life in New York why the hell would I want to wear one while I'm vacation in the Florida heat?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom