New Resort & Dining Thoughts Needed!!!!!!!!!!!!

petey

Hello All. I will be going to The World from Jan 4th-12th 2014. Previously I have stayed at AKL and loved it. Trying to save some cash this trip, so I am booked at POFQ. I understand this resort is smaller, very nice, has good bus service and not so spread out. Please give any thoughts on POFQ. Also looking for some new restaurant ideas, one slot left for breakfast, and one for dinner as far as my ADR'S are concerned. Have booked the following so far:
Dinners-Jiko,GFC,Boma, Rose & Crown,Sanaa,Captains Grille

Breakfast-Captains Grille, Boma,Kona Cafe,GFC
***Thanks So Much For Your Suggestions & Thoughts

jwalker

Hello All. I will be going to The World from Jan 4th-12th 2014. Previously I have stayed at AKL and loved it. Trying to save some cash this trip, so I am booked at POFQ. I understand this resort is smaller, very nice, has good bus service and not so spread out. Please give any thoughts on POFQ. Also looking for some new restaurant ideas, one slot left for breakfast, and one for dinner as far as my ADR'S are concerned. Have booked the following so far:
Dinners-Jiko,GFC,Boma, Rose & Crown,Sanaa,Captains Grille

Breakfast-Captains Grille, Boma,Kona Cafe,GFC
***Thanks So Much For Your Suggestions & Thoughts
We love this resort. We will be there in just 7 days. Can not wait. We love the size of this resort. The transportation is good. Love the boat to downtown Disney.

Upvote 0

MaxsDad

Thanks JWalker. How is the food court @ POFQ? Have you heard anything about Boatwright's restaurant @PORS?

I stayed at PORS last year, am going to POFQ in two weeks.

I went to the food court for breakfast once at POFQ. Yes, it looked good. We just went for the bengiets (sp?).

I highly recommend Boatwrights. I ate at 3 signatures that week, and Boatwright's flavor was as good as any. Add in the ease of it being on site and good service, and we loved it.

Upvote 0

MerMom1981

I love love LOVE POFQ! The ferry to DTD was one my favorite features, but the resort itself was lovely as well. Great atmosphere. The rooms were very tastefully decorated and I loved the courtyards and cobblestone streets.

The food court is nothing special. We only ate there twice. It was no better or worse than any other QS meal we had, but that's not saying a whole lot.

Upvote 0

HollyAD

As far as breakfast are you interested in doing a character breakfast? We did breakfast at Cape May Cafe this past trip and loved it. Food was pretty good for a buffet and loved the beach club. The characters actually spent time at the table. You already have my favorite breakfast which is BOMA! Since you are staying somewhere with boat access have you thought about trying a restaurant over at Saratoga Springs? I haven't made it over there to try it myself, but I have heard it was good and not crowded because no one really knows about it. You could hop and boat to DTD and change boats to go there. Just an idea...

Upvote 0

ParentsOf4

Thanks JWalker. How is the food court @ POFQ? Have you heard anything about Boatwright's restaurant @PORS?
At 1008 rooms, POFQ is by far WDW's smallest Moderate or Value Resort, about half the size of the other resorts in those categories. Consequently, the food options at POFQ are limited. POFQ is the only Moderate Resort without a Table Service (TS) restaurant and has the smallest food court. (IMHO, POR's food court is the best.)

It's possible to walk from POFQ to POR but the walk is rather tedious, especially after spending all day walking at the parks.

Boatwrights at POR is very nice although, like nearly all Disney restaurants, grossly overpriced. For example, even the chicken is $18 while a NY strip steak is $30.

POFQ is relatively small and because of its small size, its entertainment options (e.g. food, pool, game room) are limited.

Due to its New Orleans theme and relatively modest price, POFQ is an excellent choice for cost-conscious couples who want to stay at a Disney hotel and plan to spend most of their time elsewhere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

You can go to PortOrleans.org which gives you a pictorial view of the resort and gives quite a bit of information about whats there. We've been staying there for quite a while and love it. The food court is like all the rest, nothing spectacular. But do try the Beignets, they are great. You can catch the boat to DTD and PORS at the dock and also walk the path over to PORS if you want to eat at Boatwrights ( I like their food , worth your trying it out ) PORS food court has different food selections there. There are carriage rides and bike rentals at PORS. The building layouts are not as bad as PORS and theres a quiet, comfortable feel to the resort. The pools can be shared at both resorts, POFQ only has 1 small hot tub. The bus sometimes goes straight to the parks, sometimes heads over to PORS to share pick ups. If you are looking for a better choice finance wise I think you will be happy with what POFQ has to offer.

Upvote 0

LucyK

POFQ is my home resort and IMHO the best resort on property. Even the limited food court is not enough to make me love it less. The walk to PORS is around 10 minutes so Boatwright's is always a nice option and they take walk ups with very little wait. But my favorite thing to do is take the ferry to DTD and eat there. It's not a quick ride but very relaxing. The pool is not small if you sider the size of the resort.

I always suggest Via Napoli because it's my favorite in-park restaurant.

Kids or no kids, I believe one character breakfast is always a must. Crystal Palace will put you inside MK before park opening if you get a 8:05 to 8:20 am reservation (latter than that you'll miss precious morning park time). Chef Micley's is a classic but food can be a miss. Cape May is a great option for your DHS day and they start serving at 7:30am.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Hi Master Yoda, are you out there, can I get your thoughts also!!!! Thanks in advance!!!
POFQ is one of my favorite resorts. It is small, quaint and very much like the romantic image of New Orleans.

For an additional breakfast that will also shave off some cost I would highly recommend beignets and coffee in the food court of POFQ. This will also work for lunch, dinner, elevenses,etc.

beignets2.jpg

Even though you already have Kona Cafe for breakfast, it is a very good dinner spot as well.

Another great breakfast, lunch or dinner option is Whispering Canyon Cafe at the Wilderness Lodge. Breakfast there is the typical at you table buffet fare, but the rowdiness and hi-jinks tend to be turned up to 11 in the morning. Dinner is a smoked meat lovers paradise. If you elect to do dinner there I would advise an early reservation as the smoked meat tends to get a little on the dry side as the evening wears on.

If you have and more specific questions feel free to fire away.

Upvote 0

draybook

POFQ is our favorite. We've only stayed there and Pop but we're hooked. We'll be back next month and we can't wait. I'm trying to talk my wofe into trying other resorts but it's an uphill battle.

Upvote 0

LucyK

The boat comes from PORS to POFQ then goes to DTD. On the way back they stop at POFQ before heading to PORS. I'd rather walk because it's quicker but you could for sure take the boat from POFQ to PORS.

Upvote 0

luv

I don't love the food court, but POFQ was satisfactory in every way. Each of the other mods have something I don't like, so I ended up at POFQ a few times. I love the water view there. For some reason, the canal is much prettier and more relaxing than the lakes at CSR or CBR.

Crystal Palace and Rainforest Cafe are my favorite breakfasts. Restaurant Marrakesh and Les Chefs are my favorite dinners.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom