New resort around 7 seas lagoon??

Badger Brent

I know with times being tough and all that this might be a dumb question. Do you think they will ever put another resort around the 7 seas lagoon? I often thought that between the contemp. and TTC would be a nice spot. Yes, I know with pop century just sitting there this would not make sense. I was just wondering if this had ever been discussed or been in the original blueprints. Any idea what kind of theme or cat. it would be? Maybe a new DVC resort down the road? This is purely for fun and conversation.

Nansafan

I recal reading on some website (can't remember if it was this one or another unofficial website) that there was another deluxe resort planned for the very spot you're talking about. I believe, and I could be wrong, that it had some sort of European/Italian Renisance type of theme with columns and a lot of marble. Sorry that I can't be more specific. I read this quite some time ago.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

In the book Since the World Began by Jeff Kurtti it mentions and shows a concept painting if an Asian Hotel, MK, Contemp, Ventian Resort and the Poly. It dosen't give any reason as to why they weren't built.(that I could find)

Upvote 0

boling

I too recall seeing plans for a european / italian type resort on that spot. It might have been somewhere on this site that had diagrams and concept art work for the place.

Upvote 0

no2apprentice

I believe someone once posted that the original concept was to build seven(?) resorts on the monorail line, one to represent each major continent (get it? Seven Seas Lagoon, seven resorts?). This was scaled back to five, then three.

I know Tyler (Fantasia Boi) once posted how many transformer (or something like that) sites are along the line, indicating that each would have been a monorail stop. I think he said there were two more on the line than what's at the current three resorts, indicating they built the line for five resort stops.

I'm working on memory on the above information, so if anyone has any other hard data indicating otherwise, feel free to correct!

By the way, if you can remember to take your ginkgo biloba, then do you really need to take it?:animwink:

Upvote 0

jmarc63

Originally posted by tigsmom
In the book Since the World Began by Jeff Kurtti it mentions and shows a concept painting if an Asian Hotel, MK, Contemp, Ventian Resort and the Poly. It dosen't give any reason as to why they weren't built.(that I could find)

If memory serves, The reason the other resorts were'nt but was because in the mid to late 70s there was a downturn in travel durring the energy crises of the 70s and Orlando had just gotten into a Holel/Motel build Boom and had a glut of rooms outside of Disney and Disney was the reason People were comming to Orlando and they offered a cheaper alternative to staying on Property, so Disney aagreed to delay the Building of the other resorts. Don't forget that Disney In the 70s was Run by the Disney family and not Eisner as we have today. By the time Eisney took over the times were better and Eisner Started the Building of new resorts He wanted to compeate with the rest of orlando to get guests.

Upvote 0

Katherine

I'm sure they'll be another hotel a Venitain one would rock! But I doubt that in the near future it will happen considering all that's going on.

Upvote 0

mortimermouse

That location has been mentioned as a site for a Mediterranean themed resort. As an earlier post mentions though, the land is unstable and cannot support that much development.

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

The European Resort ideas feel very Busch Gardens VA-esque. That place is beautiful too w/ the European arcitecture, so if Disney can pull that feel out, it owuld be a very nice resort experience. But i dont think its gonna happen...

Upvote 0

maelstrom

i dont see disney building a new monorail resort any time soon, if ever. but originally there were to be 3 other hotels, in addition to the contemporary and the polynesian: the asian, the persian, and the venetian. i personally would rather that they built those instead of all the other ones theyve built (with the exception of maybe the boardwalk and yacht & beach club). all the moderate resorts (caribbean beach, port orleans, dixie landings, coronado springs) just seem so cookie-cutter. same hotel layout, different theme. i love the uniqueness of the contemporary and the polynesian, and even the grand floridian (which stands where the asian was originally intended to go). but i personally would love to see a new monorail resort. and hey, they get to charge more for hotels on the monorail line!

i have a good chance of staying in the contemporary a-frame this may. :D

Upvote 0

Moustronaut

When I took the keys to the kingdom tour at MK, they mentioned it was the original vision to match the resorts to the lands in the MK. The acted as a preview to the themes of the park.

GF is like main street USA, Contemporary is tomorrowland. Polyneasan in adventure land.

That leaves frontierland and fantasy land.... your guess is as good as mine as to what they would have built for those. I guess you could say that Ft. Wilderness is Frontierland's preview but it's not on the monorail but does directly feed into the park by boat. So would an venician resort been a preview for fantasy land?

Upvote 0

WDWFanatic

I had written in the "secrets that you know" post about hotels that were supposed to have been built but never gotten off the ground.
The venetian hotel which was supposed to be near the wilderness lodge I had heard wouldnt work because the ground was to soft.
There were plans for an Asian hotel where the grand floridian was built. A Persian hotel was to be placed along the monorail track that goes to the maintenance garage. Who knows what will happen next.

Upvote 0

freaklarm

I dont think that soft land or other problems with thw soil would be a reason for not be a hotel there, engineers can fix that, basically, you can build anything anywhere these days. Money and current conditions (global economy) are the real reasons.

Upvote 0

Slinky Dog

Originally posted by WDWFanatic

The venetian hotel which was supposed to be near the wilderness lodge I had heard wouldnt work because the ground was to soft.

That's a real shame, if they had built the Venetian on soft ground, it would have been all the more authentic considering the real Venice is slowly sinking!:p

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom