New Requirements for Canadian and British Drivers?

Andrew Drummond

Original Poster
I read in the Toronto Star this morning that Florida has recently passed a law that requires all international drivers to have a "International Driving Permit".

This will obviously have a significant impact on traveler's to WDW this March/Easter season and beyond, particularly because there has been little press about it.

The article can be found on thestar.ca

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
“(The) requirement may violate the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (1949), an international treaty to which the United States is a signatory,” said the release.

Until a legal determination is made the law will not be enforced and only a valid driver licence will be required until then.

Mikester71

Saw it on CTV News Thursday night at 6pm and then when I looked it up online around 9pm, it said that it had already been stopped (temporarily). Showed people lined up inside CAA offices complaining big time. Can't say that I blame them. Glad to hear that CAA is refunding the $25 to the people who did end up getting them before it was blocked.

For the record, Florida better really reconsider even trying to re-enforce this in the future. Most of the people they interviewed on the television and in the newspapers were pretty outraged, to the point where quite a few of them said they would reconsider their yearly trips to Florida and would probably consider going somewhere else instead (Phoenix seemed to be the popular choice). I, personally, couldn't see cancelling a Florida getaway due to $25, but I totally understand the principle behind why some of my fellow Canucks might.

Gabe1

I read yesterday Florida will not enforce the new rule so the state could rewrite the law.

Giggle. Only the great state of Florida believes they could write a law that supersedes the Geneva Convention.
Twits.

thomas998

“(The) requirement may violate the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (1949), an international treaty to which the United States is a signatory,” said the release.

Until a legal determination is made the law will not be enforced and only a valid driver licence will be required until then.

Apparently the folks that brought up the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic also failed to realize that it has been superseded in part by the Vienna Convention in 1968 and then by ammendments in 2011... I doubt the law is in conflict with the final parts of the Vienna Convention which actually states that countries will recognize domestic licenses or International Drivers Licenses so long as they conform to specific rules... Trouble is not all Canadian drivers licenses conform to the specific rules required under Annex 7, specifically those from Quebec which for some xenophobic reason are only in French. Frankly the law is reasonable and if people from place like Quebec don't want to be open to having their license in a language that can be understood by the majority of the people in their own country they shouldn't complain when they are required to get an international license... it isn't like they cost that much and they are good for 3 years.

Gabe1

Apparently the folks that brought up the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic also failed to realize that it has been superseded in part by the Vienna Convention in 1968 and then by ammendments in 2011... I doubt the law is in conflict with the final parts of the Vienna Convention which actually states that countries will recognize domestic licenses or International Drivers Licenses so long as they conform to specific rules... Trouble is not all Canadian drivers licenses conform to the specific rules required under Annex 7, specifically those form Quebec which for some xenophobic reason are only in French. Frankly the law is reasonable and if people from place like Quebec don't want to be open to having their license in a language that can be understood by the majority of the people in their own country they shouldn't complain when they are required to get a international license... it isn't like they cost that much and they are good for 3 years.

The law is an oddity and I am surprised the Federal Government didn't jump in and say hang on a minute from the start...good idea or not is irrelevant. If the law needs to be changed due to modern circumstances the US needs to address this first Internationally and the states all need to be on the same page. It is an undo burden on tourists visiting the US to research state law, it is difficult enough to become aware of Federal Laws when traveling to the US and what if tourists finish their Florida visit and fly to Cali if there is a different law, then what? Ridiculous.

Funny I was a maritime surveyor and often had to call the Port of Montreal as our ships came in through Montreal often. The phone would be answered in French and I would reply in English, notable *sigh* and the conversation would continue in English. Chuckle. Thanks for the memory, I had not thought about that in a while.

thomas998

The law is an oddity and I am surprised the Federal Government didn't jump in and say hang on a minute from the start...good idea or not is irrelevant. If the law needs to be changed due to modern circumstances the US needs to address this first Internationally and the states all need to be on the same page. It is an undo burden on tourists visiting the US to research state law, it is difficult enough to become aware of Federal Laws when traveling to the US and what if tourists finish their Florida visit and fly to Cali if there is a different law, then what? Ridiculous.

Funny I was a maritime surveyor and often had to call the Port of Montreal as our ships came in through Montreal often. The phone would be answered in French and I would reply in English, notable *sigh* and the conversation would continue in English. Chuckle. Thanks for the memory, I had not thought about that in a while.

The only truly odd thing is that Florida backed down at all... when you look at the web site the US government has for visitors it clearly states the following:"
Short-Term Visitors

If you plan to drive when you visit the United States, check the driving rules in the state(s) you'll be visiting to verify that you can use your non-U.S. driver's license. You should get an International Driving Permit (IDP), which translates the information contained on your official driver's license into 10 languages.
The United States does not issue International Driving Permits to foreign visitors, so you will need to obtain this document in your home country before you travel to the United States. "

which would indicate that an International Drivers License is expected to be used by ever foreign visitor. I suspect it is more a matter of a requirement that has existed but has also been ignored by everyone.

As a side you were lucky that you sounded American and not Canadian when you dealt with the folks in Quebec, my experience doing business there was that the people of that state truly had a hatred of non-French Canadians. A very strange place indeed.

Gabe1

As a side you were lucky that you sounded American and not Canadian when you dealt with the folks in Quebec, my experience doing business there was that the people of that state truly had a hatred of non-French Canadians. A very strange place indeed.

Okie Dokie, I should count myself lucky that the only attitude I received was a *sigh!*
Do other states other than the Montreal area learn French in school?

thomas998

Okie Dokie, I should count myself lucky that the only attitude I received was a *sigh!*
Do other states other than the Montreal area learn French in school?

Some provinces push it more than others, overall though you probably have about 25-30% of the people that are really fluent outside of Quebec. A shame that folks in Quebec can't accept that French is a dying language and just give up, it is a bit like watching people clinging their horse and buggy while everyone else has move on to cars.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom