New Proof of Time Requirements for Run Disney Races

Kristia

Original Poster
No more providing proof of times at the expo. Maybe this will help with some congestion during the races if they actually verify the times submitted. I think it is good that the marathon requires a 10 mile or longer race instead of just a 10k. It does kind of stink though if you run a good race in Nov that you won't be able to use that time.

This from the Run Disney website...

New 2014 runDisney proof of time guidelines:
If you believe you will finish the Half Marathon in less than 3:15 hours or the Marathon in less than 6:30 hours, proof of time is required for start corral placement. Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge and Dopey Challenge participants should adhere to Full Marathon proof of time requirements. Please reference the Race Pacing Chart below for finish times and associated pacing per mile.
AProof of time must be provided from a certified race reflecting results after January 1, 2012.
  • Half Marathon - 10K or longer
  • Full Marathon - 10 Miles or longer
A valid proof of time provided at the time of registration must include the following*:
  • Name of Race
  • Distance
  • City
  • State
  • Date
  • Finish time
*For example, Walt Disney World Marathon, 26.2, Orlando, FL, 1/13/13, - 3:35

If you do not have a proof of time to submit, list "N/A" at the point of registration. If proof of time is not provided by November 1, 2013 you will be placed in the last start corral. If your proof of time data is incomplete or cannot be verified, you will be placed in the last start corral. To provide or update your proof of time, you must email all proof of time data requested above to disneysports@trackshack.com. No corral changes will be made after November 1, 2013.

As a reminder, you will no longer be able to bring proof of your estimated finish time to the Runner Relations booth during the Expo and have your start corral placement changed.

Dates, times and prices subject to change. All races are subject to capacity limits and may close at any time.

There is a race pace chart too, but when I tried to copy it here, the format was all wonky!

Ariel484

Ha, I didn't see this and posted the same thing in the marathon weekend thread! So I am just going to paste some of what I said there here...

I know not everyone will like this...but I am really happy about these changes. I've been feeling really discouraged about runDisney over the past couple of months (my main thought being that they are getting really greedy/money-hungry and not caring so much about the runner experience) and this is really encouraging. It makes me think that they really listened to the complaints runners had after the WDW/Princess Half Marathons.

- It used to be that you only had to submit a time if you thought you'd finish the marathon in 5 hours or less/half marathon in 2:45 or less (I think). Changing it to 6:30/3:15 should help with corral placement issues. More people will need to actually prove that they don't belong in the last corral rather than just putting in the estimated finish time during registration without proof.
- I'm very surprised that they won't change corrals at the expo and that times need to be emailed by November 1...that's early! I bet a lot of people were hoping to use their Wine & Dine Half times for corral placement...
- Making the marathoners/Goofy racers/Dopey runners submit a 10-miler time instead of a 10K time might be my favorite part of this. I think a lot of people sign up for these not really knowing what they are getting into (in reading other boards that's really the impression that I'm getting about going Dopey...lots of people want to go from barely running to Dopey in 2014 :confused: ). I definitely get the idea that some people don't "respect the distance" when it comes to these longer races, and that can be dangerous.

Overall, I think these are GREAT changes. It makes me feel like they are really buckling down on their corral placements and are taking runner complaints seriously...and it sounds like something that is going to require a lot more work on their (runDisney's) part. I'm sure it won't go smoothly the first time around, but they really needed to take better control of this.

Now they just need to get rid of the ability to automatically buy a spot in Corral B through the Runner's World Challenge...but that's another topic entirely. ;)

On another note...I have heard from people that can see the registration pages (DVC member page is up, I think) that they have an option for WOMEN'S-SIZED TECH SHIRTS at registration. If this is true...FINALLY!
ETA: Just looked at the Runner's World Challenge registration page...the women's-sized shirts are there! WOOHOO!!

Kristia

Original Poster
Ha, I didn't see this and posted the same thing in the marathon weekend thread! So I am just going to paste some of what I said there here...
Haha! I started to post this in the Marathon thread but figured it might be worth it to start one of its own in case people aren't following that thread. It sounds like this is the status quo for all Disney races now...maybe..hopefully! I just hope they follow through with the time verification. It should help some of the congestion but I was thinking about the Runners World people too. Ugh. Pay more, get a better corral. Something is wrong with that! I am all for pay more and get other perks but that should just be based on merit and not $$$. I totally agree with you on liking the 10 mile time requirement but I do wish the cut off for time submission wasn't Nov 1. There are a lot of long distance races held in the late fall to get a PR in. Now if only they would reduce the number of race entries a bit.... It will be interesting to see how this plays out and if it really does help!

Ariel484

Haha! I started to post this in the Marathon thread but figured it might be worth it to start one of its own in case people aren't following that thread. It sounds like this is the status quo for all Disney races now...maybe..hopefully! I just hope they follow through with the time verification. It should help some of the congestion but I was thinking about the Runners World people too. Ugh. Pay more, get a better corral. Something is wrong with that! I am all for pay more and get other perks but that should just be based on merit and not $$$. I totally agree with you on liking the 10 mile time requirement but I do wish the cut off for time submission wasn't Nov 1. There are a lot of long distance races held in the late fall to get a PR in. Now if only they would reduce the number of race entries a bit.... It will be interesting to see how this plays out and if it really does help!
Yeah, the November time cut-off rings a bell...I think they have had that in the past for getting personalized bibs, but I am not sure about the times. There's a local half here that I like to run (it's my current PT) and that's normally the weekend before Thanksgiving. It would be annoying not to be able to use that time if it was going to help corral placement, so I can certainly sympathize with that. And in the 3 race weekends I've participated in I've always changed my brother's corral at the expo, so this will take some getting used to.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couple other things...

- I noticed that the 5K is still a unisex t-shirt - no option for a women's cut (bad). But the 10K is a long-sleeved tech shirt with a women's-cut option (good).
- Speaking of the 10K...I wonder how they are doing to do the corrals for it and the 5K. Last year the 5K corrals were (I think) just based off of order of when people registered. Or something. I'm assuming they'll do that again unless they go back to having people line up according to what they think their pace is (honor system). So is the 10K going to be the same idea since there's nothing about submitting a proof-of-time for that race? I assume it'll be timed...??

dreamfinder

On another note...I have heard from people that can see the registration pages (DVC member page is up, I think) that they have an option for WOMEN'S-SIZED TECH SHIRTS at registration. If this is true...FINALLY!
ETA: Just looked at the Runner's World Challenge registration page...the women's-sized shirts are there! WOOHOO!!

DVC member link? Can you share this please? I haven't seen anything about that. Thanks!

Edit:
Found it on the member site, but there is this tidbit
*Offer valid for Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend presented by Cigna® event new registrations from midnight EST April 3, 2013 to midnight EST April 8, 2013. To be eligible for this offer, Disney Vacation Club Members must be at least 18 years of age and must register through the special Disney Vacation Club Member link available on this page. The number of early registrations for the 2014 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend events is limited and subject to availability. Offer subject to change or termination without notice Events, dates, times and prices subject to change. All races are subject to age eligibility requirements and capacity limits. Registration fees are non-refundable. Restrictions apply.

So sounds like not til tmrw morning then.

LindsayLoves

I like all of this, I am hoping that it will provide more consistency. I also like that you can see the pace chart that they use so there are no surprises.

Ariel484

DVC member link? Can you share this please? I haven't seen anything about that. Thanks!

Edit:
Found it on the member site, but there is this tidbit

So sounds like not til tmrw morning then.
Glad you found it. I think I remember reading it only saves $10 or something though? The Disney Visa discount last year saved me $30 on Goofy. I'll be interested to see what discounts come with the Disney Visa this year (rumor has it emails are supposed to go out to cardholders today and they, along with DVC members, can register today at noon).

So, predictions on how fast these things will sell out? I think Dopey will sell out in...less than a week. Just because it's inaugural and there probably aren't a ton of spots for it. The 10K may fill up quickly too, again because it's inaugural and I think this distance will appeal to a lot of people that want to go beyond a 5K but aren't ready for a half yet. I don't think any of the other races will sell out super quickly because they aren't anniversary years. Should be interesting!

dreamfinder

Glad you found it. I think I remember reading it only saves $10 or something though? The Disney Visa discount last year saved me $30 on Goofy. I'll be interested to see what discounts come with the Disney Visa this year (rumor has it emails are supposed to go out to cardholders today and they, along with DVC members, can register today at noon).

So, predictions on how fast these things will sell out? I think Dopey will sell out in...less than a week. Just because it's inaugural and there probably aren't a ton of spots for it. The 10K may fill up quickly too, again because it's inaugural and I think this distance will appeal to a lot of people that want to go beyond a 5K but aren't ready for a half yet. I don't think any of the other races will sell out super quickly because they aren't anniversary years. Should be interesting!

Well, I hope its no better. As I just regged using that...... Literally minutes after you posted, but before reading it. : (

Ariel484

Well, I hope its no better. As I just regged using that...... Literally minutes after you posted, but before reading it. : (
Nooooooooo

Hey, as far as I know the Disney Visa discount still a myth at this point since I haven't gotten an email yet (not registering this year but I normally do get an email...). At least you're in for Dopey!

dreamfinder

At least you're in for Dopey!

My thoughts exactly. Seeing how fast Dumbo and the 10k in DL sold out, I'm mostly just happy to get myself in for Dopey, and my DW in for the 5k/10k. Even though they keep jacking up the prices... The 5k for both ToT & W&D is $50, but for Jan its $60? Thats a big jump.

Ariel484

My thoughts exactly. Seeing how fast Dumbo and the 10k in DL sold out, I'm mostly just happy to get myself in for Dopey, and my DW in for the 5k/10k. Even though they keep jacking up the prices... The 5k for both ToT & W&D is $50, but for Jan its $60? Thats a big jump.
FYI, just read that the Disney Visa discount is $15. You could have saved an additional 5 big ones! That's a little over half a Grey Goose slushie in France.

Seriously though, can't wait to hear about gonig Dopey. I bet it sells out really quickly. And yeah, I think the 5K during marathon weekend is not a great "deal"...but the EE Challenge is still the most insane to me at $110/person. !!!
But you had to submit 'proof' before. Are they actually going to verify now?
The big difference to me is having to prove you can finish in under 6:30/3:15 vs. the older 5:00/2:45. I bet a lot of people that didn't have proof and put 5:01/2:46 in their anticipated marathon finish time, then got into Corral E or whatever when they should have been in the last corral. Now they need to prove that they can actually run those paces (not sure if what I typed out made sense...I hope it did! o_O). I think this is great - I'm hoping it'll encourage people running the marathon to run a longer race that they may not have looked into before. Who knows how closely runDisney will actually look at the times though...o_O

dreamfinder

But you had to submit 'proof' before. Are they actually going to verify now?

I do wonder if that is why they cut off the date to submit the time. Give them time to actually check times instead of possibly having someone submitting a fake (why bother, just do a race beforehand?) time.

...but the EE Challenge is still the most insane to me at $110/person. !!!

Doesn't that include a park ticket though? Yeah it stinks if you don't need the ticket, but at least the cost is quasi justified. Kinda like with the original W&D how the 5K cost like $95, but included a ticket to MNSSHP.

The big difference to me is having to prove you can finish in under 6:30/3:15 vs. the older 5:00/2:45. I bet a lot of people that didn't have proof and put 5:01/2:46 in their anticipated marathon finish time, then got into Corral E or whatever when they should have been in the last corral.

I would hope the fact they had a whole corral of people who said they could finish at exactly 5:00 was a big enough give away that something was fishy, hence the change.

Ariel484

I do wonder if that is why they cut off the date to submit the time. Give them time to actually check times instead of possibly having someone submitting a fake (why bother, just do a race beforehand?) time.
That would be awesome if they are actually checking the times. Still perturbed that they have "preferred corral placement" as part of the RW Challenge, but whatever.
Doesn't that include a park ticket though? Yeah it stinks if you don't need the ticket, but at least the cost is quasi justified. Kinda like with the original W&D how the 5K cost like $95, but included a ticket to MNSSHP.

Here's what's in the EE Challenge...so yeah, I guess the party helps explain the price:
Expedition Everest Challenge Highlights
  • 5K trek with obstacles
  • Clues to solve before you reach the summit
  • Course through Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park at Night
  • Disney Entertainment on-course and at the post-race celebration
  • Event Weekend Transportation from the Event Host Resorts
Expedition Everest Challenge Participants Receive
  • Champion® Unisex Short-Sleeved Tech Shirt - click here to see the sizing chart
  • Personalized race bib (register before March 8, 2013)
  • Expedition Everest Challenge Finisher Medal
  • Post-race refreshments
  • Admission to a special post-race party inside Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park
Dates, times, prices and inclusions subject to change. All races are subject to capacity limits and may close at any time.

* Participants must attend Packet Pick-Up at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex to receive their race packet, bib, and tech shirt. Finisher medals will be distributed to finishers after the race. None of these items will be mailed to registrants that did not participate.

I would hope the fact they had a whole corral of people who said they could finish at exactly 5:00 was a big enough give away that something was fishy, hence the change.
Yeah, you'd think. I wonder if more or less people will get swept this way?

Ariel484

My lips are sealed.... ; )
:eek: :D

I have been reading elsewhere about the Disney Visa discount and it sounds like it's a big cluster---...to get the discount you have to put in the first 4 digits of the card number, but aren't those first 4 numbers the same for a lot of people? Hmm...I am still liking my decision to sit out in 2014 and let them fix all their bugs (registration, corral stuff, 10K) by the time I want to register again for 2015. :D

dreamfinder

:eek: :D

I have been reading elsewhere about the Disney Visa discount and it sounds like it's a big cluster---...to get the discount you have to put in the first 4 digits of the card number, but aren't those first 4 numbers the same for a lot of people? Hmm...I am still liking my decision to sit out in 2014 and let them fix all their bugs (registration, corral stuff, 10K) by the time I want to register again for 2015. :D

Those first 4 digits should be the same for everyone who has a Disney visa. According to howstuffworks.com,

Visa - Digits two through six are the bank number, digits seven through 12 or seven through 15 are the account number and digit 13 or 16 is a check digit.
The first digit of any Visa should be a 4, so then the next handful determine the bank doing the lending, and then the ones specific to your actual account. Now I believe that one bank can have multiple sequences, so that way they can use 412345 for Disney, 412346 for Southwest, 412347 for Delta, etc all offering cards through the same bank.

But yeah, the first year of any RunDisney event always seems to have lots of growing pains.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom