New portable handheld ticket reader

Tom

Beta Return
Doubt it.

I don't, especially given the number of times I see they bypass the scanner altogether, like when masses of people are entering the park (i.e. between 4-6pm prior to a Christmas Party). It has complicated things beyond imagination. It's hard enough for many park guests to handle the simple task of putting a ticket in a slot, but then add the biometrics and you've just doubled the time everyone spends in the entry queue....and that's after the asinine bag check.

Are you saying getting rid of linking the "ticket" to the guest entirely, or just using a different technology, for example facial recognition, to do it instead?

ULTIMATELY, I think the goal is that each guest will wear the bracelet (or whatever media they finally go with - perhaps even a choice), and that bracelet will be "everything you". It will be your room key, transportation pass, Fastpass+, charge card, ticket media, and interactivity identifier.

There will be no re-sales of tickets, because you won't want to be giving away a bracelet that is completely tied to your "Disney identity". And you won't share it for the same reason. Passholders will probably have to have the Concierge or Guest Relations put their AP credentials on their bracelet....or it will all be done via your disney.com account automatically. Some day (still probably distant future), everyone who steps onto WDW property will have ONE piece of media for all things Disney. That's my prediction.

But, having seen those mock-up entry portals, I also predict they'll use some fairly sophisticated technology to validate your access to the parks (facial recognition, etc). There were a number of "camera looking devices" mounted along the top of that archway. Almost assuredly for recognition of some sort.

But this is all just my theory, based on everything I've seen to date.

MattC

I won't make the jump to a facial recognition system. But I would love to see the finger print thing go. Finger printing really adds to the entry lines getting backed up.

Tom

Beta Return
I won't make the jump to a facial recognition system. But I would love to see the finger print thing go. Finger printing really adds to the entry lines getting backed up.

It really does. If they insist on keeping the biometrics, they just need to streamline the entry process in some other way.

I saw this in practice last month at Animal Kingdom. They just scanned it and I walked in.

It really is pretty slick. She just stood at a stroller gate and scanned ticket after ticket.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom