News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Yeah, I must have had the wrong timeline in my head.

But the timelines are getting shorter.

Riviera sales started in March and opened in December - 9 months.

The Cabins at FW sales started in February and opens in July - 5 months.

I can understand that one because they don’t need all cabins done to open.

If Poly Tower sales start in July and it opens in December, that would also be 5 months.

My guesses are based off FW. I think shorter time lines work great to sell a few points before opening but maintain a larger cash inventory. All new rooms open with big cash demand so maximizing opportunity on cash side makes a lot of sense, imo.

Virtual Toad

Given this analysis of 5-15 floor Marriott hotels and it’s similarities, would the OG Disneyland Hotel qualify?
I would give it a pass in terms of this discussion as it was the product of a different time and place, when Disney had limited resources financially and very little real estate to work with. The original DL Hotel wasn't even owned by Disney when constructed and the Anaheim property has always been boxed in. The DL hotel is simply a product of the company doing the best it could at the time.

The issue for me at WDW is a shift towards relatively bland vertical construction in places on property where it intrudes on carefully crafted landscapes. In these instances, Disney is in full control of the real estate and decisions regarding its development and has extraordinarily vast financial resources-- yet this is the path they have chosen to take. It belies a callous disregard of the company's own time-honored standards of quality and a total lack of respect for its own brand.

Inserting bland and generic buildings into meticulously developed settings is a short-sighted and monumental mistake that is not easily corrected. The new Poly building will likely be a part of the Seven Seas Lagoon landscape for the next half-century or more.

Perhaps a little more thought, care and expertise should have been brought to bear before making such a careless decision, one which seems more like a typical real-world urban real estate development project than a shining example of world-class architecture, placemaking and Imagineering.

The Polyday Inn would look great on US 192 or I-Drive. It would even fit in nicely next to the Royal Pacific at Universal.

But it boggles the mind that anyone thought it would be even remotely acceptable in the very heart of Walt Disney World.

MagicRat

Where is all of the vitriol for the new entrance canopy currently being built?

Maybe everyone likes it because it reminds them of all the small canopied entrances to the original longhouses.

pixargal

There will be a separate parking lot with parking for approximately 125 vehicles.
Thank you. I hope that is enough for the resort. I found it difficult to find a space at VGF when we stayed last time and had to park in the main lot. It made for a long hike back to the room.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom