News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

correcaminos

Walked back last night knowing full well it would suck but was hoping it would be less sucky than the insane ferry line. Nope. It was honestly shocking they even bother keeping it open. The signage was unclear and crossing Floridian Way was downright dangerous as cars whizzed by at what seemed like 50 in the 25 zone. Anyway, just letting folks know the alternate route as posted above was open but I’m not sure I’d recommend it; especially at night!
Yeah, I'm not sure we'll bother in March. We'll just monorail over or something from Polynesian. I do hope they get the path open sooner than later. Might affect longer trips for us.
It's a bit depressing to see what the Poly has been transformed into over the years. It was pretty awful when they put in the over the water bungalows (water you can't swim in and that may contain an alligator or brain eating amoeba on any given day). Those bungalows took away the views and ambience for the rest of the resort guests, rendering most of the waterfront ugly and unusable. Now they are plopping a big tower where one of the few interesting if not always best dinner options was, and tearing up another serene area of the resort. All this has been done with maximizing profits at the expense of the customer experience.
How does the song go? "they paved paradise and put up a DVC tower"
I respect feelings of this. I just think I must be one of the few really excited for it. Wishing they'd done it sooner. Love the bungalows too. Feels very in line with upscale resorts. I get why some hate it though.

Vegas Disney Fan

Love the bungalows too. Feels very in line with upscale resorts. I get why some hate it though.
I love the idea of the bungalow but always thought they were built in a horrible area, I wonder if Disney wishes they’d waited and built them in the Luau cove now? They’d be much better placed 100 feet in front of the new high rise resort, with all its upscale amenities, rather than 1/4 mile from the Poly Lobby while blocking the views of the 3 story towers.

correcaminos

I love the idea of the bungalow but always thought they were built in a horrible area, I wonder if Disney wishes they’d waited and built them in the Luau cove now? They’d be much better placed 100 feet in front of the new high rise resort, with all its upscale amenities, rather than 1/4 mile from the Poly Lobby while blocking the views of the 3 story towers.
Agree to disagree. We get great views of the MK from them now. They would be harder to space out for privacy on the curve inward. Disney should have made all 1st floor Moorea and Hawaii standard views. Most of the resort wasn't affected. Views from 1st floor are partially obstructed. 2nd floor is fine.

UNCgolf

Love the bungalows too. Feels very in line with upscale resorts. I get why some hate it though.

My problem with the bungalows is that they're sitting over a small, dirty lake.

Generally upscale resorts have them overlooking the ocean. I know they were attempting to capture that same feel, but it just doesn't work at all for me and detracts from the resort overall.

I've never been a huge fan of the Polynesian in general, though -- I liked stopping in back when they had the fantastic lobby, but after they tore that up, there's little reason for me to go there.

correcaminos

My problem with the bungalows is that they're sitting over a small, dirty lake.

Generally upscale resorts have them overlooking the ocean. I know they were attempting to capture that same feel, but it just doesn't work at all for me and detracts from the resort overall.

I've never been a huge fan of the Polynesian in general, though -- I liked stopping in back when they had the fantastic lobby, but after they tore that up, there's little reason for me to go there.
I get you. Though when in one I promise the view isn't about the water ;) so while you think the focus is the same as the upscale resorts, the view is all about MK and it's fabulous! So I don't actually think it was trying to mimic that entirely.

Polynesian is my favorite. I have a complete and total emotion tie to the resort thanks to my mom who died when I was young. You'd think I would miss the old fountain but I don't. My last photo shows me in front with red eyes due to mold. I loved it but it smelled. We do use the lobby way more now. It's a must visit every trip. I know I'm a minority in loving it still and happy with changes. I am 100%. So far they haven't done wrong for me. Even removing the luau doesn't bug me... because honestly that experience sucked our last time so I'd rather 1 and 2 bedrooms there instead.

UNCgolf

I get you. Though when in one I promise the view isn't about the water ;) so while you think the focus is the same as the upscale resorts, the view is all about MK and it's fabulous! So I don't actually think it was trying to mimic that entirely.

Oh I know the view is for the MK from inside the bungalows -- I just think the bungalows look bizarre sitting out there on the little lake.

vikescaper

Ouch! That temporary walkway looks brutal! Correct me if I am wrong but the temporary pathway does not use the existing Shades of Green to Poly Floridian Way crossing, right?

DCBaker

Premium Member
Photos from today -

4650BB8B-6420-4D42-A98E-FFB7EFE335C4.jpeg
1ED6C29F-70A1-4EB7-867C-E51BD12CA699.jpeg

C00247AC-5FFE-4859-8CDF-AECDD79D7227.jpeg

8B2A3073-A094-4164-B449-0E97225D65A8.jpeg
27AB22A8-BDEF-4989-B86B-DB3A5EAD36CD.jpeg

JohnD

This probably has already been asked but we're 70 pages into this thread: Is the banyan tree staying? It's obvious it is being saved because it is all that remains of the cleared out area but I thought it was being moved somewhere.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
This probably has already been asked but we're 70 pages into this thread: Is the banyan tree staying? It's obvious it is being saved because it is all that remains of the cleared out area but I thought it was being moved somewhere.
It's unclear other than the boxed up like you mentioned. Heard somewhere that it is too tall to fit under the monorail but I know neither of that's true nor if it's really a complication (surely tall trees are moved that there are ways to get it done). That said I don't think there's any reason to move it off property. I'd love to know if it could fit in space between Poly and Grand Floridian to help with visual separation

JoeCamel

I thought it was established that they’re just moving the banyan tree closer to Aotearoa? Like, there’s already a space dug for the transplant.
Yes. It's been reported that it was just moved near to Aotearoa today.
I wonder if they consulted an arborist about putting a banyan so close to a building.... I'm sure they did and they know more than I do but.....

correcaminos

I wonder if they consulted an arborist about putting a banyan so close to a building.... I'm sure they did and they know more than I do but.....
I sincerely doubt they'd do something like that without consulting proper experts (I know they employ their own arborists). That said the pictures didn't make it seem like it was too close anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom