New parks

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by Michael72688
I think Disney should build a new park at WDW! It would be great

DUDE! There is already too much to do at WDW! When I do get the opportunity to visit it's at best a 6 day trip and I already spend all my time freaking out that I'm missing something! Let's not help by adding more stuff!

Sketch105

Originally posted by Pat571
its the parks that they are planning. interesting huh. i dont htink any of the parks where built on the cheap at all.

Not cheap in the sense of total budget ($1 Billion is large number!) but in the way they choose to spend it.

DCA was supposed to make the Disneyland resort a destination for tourists. They made a tortilla baking parlor an "attraction". They chose to build lower-than-Six-Flags level rides. (not saying that Six Flags is bad, but they are well below six flags level of theme) They chose to take attractions that once made Orlando unique and copy them on the East coast IN A NEW PARK, NOT DISNEYLAND, therefore contradicting the original purpose. Why would I, a person who goes to Disney World, want to go to Disneylands "resort" if the new park is not only a cheap replica of places in California that I can visit on my own, but also has a bunch of Disney World attractions? Grizzly River=Kali River, Tough to be a Bug, Animation Tour, Tower of Terror, etc. There are only several original rides in the park, them being the Whoopi Goldberg film, Soarin over California, and Superstar Limo (which is now closed) excluding the carnival area. Even if it supposed to be "a themed seaside carnival", its still a poor choice to put it in a Disney park. The California theme itself is very limited.

How can a company with so many original and unbuilt ideas (D. Tracy's Crimestoppers, Western River Expedition, Discovery Bay, Beastly Kingdom) come up with so little? You've spent the money to develop these attractions, and they're hiding in some backroom waiting to be used!!!

(ok, so maybe D.T's Crimestoppers is not the strongest one, but I need to illustrate a point here!!!)

Disney Studios Paris is nice, but it has about 10 attractions. Sure, Disney Studios Orlando opened the same way, but it still has fewer attractions than the Magic Kingdom (56). Even with the limited # of attractions in the Disney-MGM park, they still go out and do Animal Kingdom which is also a half day park!!!
I will give them credit for trying to expand with ToT, RnRC, and Fantasmic. Quality attractions are better than a whole half-made area (like Paradise Pier)
The entrances to the rides in Paris are cutouts and there's no intricate detailing on the level of the one in Orlando. Its funny, because that's what Disneyland Paris was all about: Intricate detailing.

Hong Kong park, as I said, will have three lands plus main street. They can't afford to shell out some cash and make it a complete Disneyland? Even when they change Disneyland's outline for foreign taste, they at least keep all the lands together.

And why must they continue to make copycat parks? I know that they must rely on successful formulas, but have some imagination! Give it a new twist (like the Jazz age version of Main Street) They have the power to build original parks (like Tokyo DisneySeas). Why not do that?

Instead, they say American's tastes are different, and that the Oriental Land Co. which owns Tokyo Disney Seas does what they want with their money.
That basically says that "we don't want to spend the money on a quality park". Yes, maybe I'm overreacting, but the Disney co. can do things to help finance a park like this in the states.

Any business majors you can side with me on this one? I'm no lawyer, but I think from my angle these are not good decisions.

While there is a lot more to running a company then just having a theme park, and understanding the basic operating procedures and financing, etc. etc., I still don't understand how a company that employs thousands of undergrads in minimum wage positions, charges $7 for a burger (no fries, no coke) and $45 dollars for half-day parks cannot afford to build Tokyo Disney Seas.

So Eisner's lost his taste for big projects? How could that happen? Even Disneyland Paris, which had the roughest start any park could have, is on its feet! Its the most visited attraction in Europe, and its the best looking Magic Kingdom I've seen.

I'm all about a new park if it can be done right and if they can first get the other parks up to speed as well. Until then, I'm hard pressed to see them do a good job on the next one.

jmarc63

Originally posted by cymbaldiva

DUDE! There is already too much to do at WDW! When I do get the opportunity to visit it's at best a 6 day trip and I already spend all my time freaking out that I'm missing something! Let's not help by adding more stuff!

I agree with all the crowds and wantin to do everything I need 15 days without feeling like I need a vbacation from my vacation

Pat571

Original Poster
i agree with alot of what you said sketch. about the hong kong disney, i dont think it would that great just to keep replecating the same park over and over. theyshould change somethings like what there doing in hong kong. parks like mgm are great. i see there trying to expand that for a more of a thrill park, i heard the starwars ride was supposed to be revamped with scenes from episode 1 or 2 i think. each park is themed perfectly, EPCOT is a kinda discovering park, MK a fantasy place, MGM like hollywood, AK is well you guessed it, animals. i like to see what else that have planned for the future.

DisneyCane

Just to throw my 2 cents in:

Although lacking in attractions, California Adventure is not that bad. It's not quite to the level of theming and original attractions that I would like, but it's not bad. California Screamin' is a great rollercoaster (for those of us who think great means fun and not 10 million loops and a 4000 ft drop), Soarin' over Califonia is very cool (especially when it smells like you are flying over an orange grove) and the river rapids is much more fun than I remember the one in AK being.

The reason that they might build a new park before filling out the existing ones is simply the way corporations work. If you add a ride to AK, let's say for $100 million. That's going to add let's say $9 million per year to the park's budget because of the financing. In order to justify that, that ride must bring in enough additional people hours to the park to justify the expenditure. And I'm not talking just 184,000 more people (184,000 * $49 = X) because each additional person through the gates adds other variable expenses.

Now with a new park, the business plan is done up front for the whole thing so they're not going to calculate each and every ride individually. They know that they need a certain number of attractions to get anybody to come and make any profit.

Yes, I rounded some numbers but you get the idea. Even though it doesn't seem to make sense, it's what they have to go through. If you think about it personally, it's like the decision to buy a new car instead of fix an old one. It costs more to buy a new one but it gives you more long term value.

Now, all that being said, I don't think there will be a 5th WDW gate any time soon. Using this logic though, I think that's why they haven't put anything major in MK since splash mountain. It's already the most visited park in the world so how many more people would a $100 million ride bring in?

X-STech

Originally posted by cymbaldiva

I agree. I was actually thinking about this when I was in Disney for the fourth of July. They have 4 theme parks, activities to do at your Disney Resort if you'd like (dining, pool, recreational boats), Downtown Disney Marketplace, 3 (now 2) waterparks, and Pleasure Island. There is so much to do that it has become almost impossible to do EVERYTHING on one trip unless you stay at least a week or more. I think for now they should just improve on their theme parks before expanding more.

Pat571

Original Poster
yea we go for a week and we skip the marketplace, been there before. we usually just go to the parks and one water park. we can fit it all in becuase we have seen it so many times but it still isnt boring.

Justin

I dont disagree, I go to Disney all the time and its kinda getting boring.... I have also heard that before that its getting a park with just rollercoasters. :( many of u know, how much of a big coaster enthusiast i am. But just a park with coasters, thats not very Disneylike... Please put some really good dark rides and thrills, and alot of family fun all into one park.. :)

I would be happy with that, If the other 2parks would be made after that i dont really know, i think that Disney might be starting construction to park number 5though... soon. Plenty of thrills and family fun i hear, But however it goes Disney is doing fine there own way, To keep it more coming is just part of the process, and thats good way to stay in buisness. :king:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom