New Park at WDW?

Chape19714

Even Iger has stated they will focus on growth for the existing parks before adding an entirely new park. I'm not saying it won't EVER happen, because it may very well. However, I feel it's a generation away. (>10 years)

CarlHS

I hope they don't. What happened with the addition of AK was that instead of going to Disney more days, many people were missing out Epcot or the Studios to visit the new park. It didn't increase overall attendance as much as they had hoped.
EDIT: 150!

Based on your last sentence it did still increase overall attendance (just not as much as they had hoped). Since MK, Epcot, MGM and AK are all in the top 5 for park attendance (Disneyland sliding in at #2); the smart money says a 5th gate would be in the top 10 at opening and likely #6 soon thereafter.

As much as I want the current parks expanded / returned to there former glory, anyone who says a 5th gate will hurt the others just doesn't have their facts straight (and your own statement shows that attendance went up). A dip at MGM the first year or two will be the most significant affect, if it happens, and none of the parks are running on such tight margins that a 5 or 10% drop for a year or two would hurt in the least. To be honest, Universal and Sea World will experience the real drop.

The current crowd levels will require expansion soon enough. As Florida’s population grows and more locals become passholders the level of service found in DL will need to be implemented here and the park capacities will need to be expanded.

:wave:

MickeyJman06

*gasp*:eek: i'd say a new theme park will proably fit in the gaps near Magic Kingdom and Epcot, and AK and a golf course - you might not see the picture very well but i see 2 gaps- sorry if this is an old map, i tried to find a 2007 map
walt-disney-world-resort-map-large.gif

Cmdr_Crimson

I'd like to sing a new rendition of an old Mary Poppins song if I may...

"For a spoonful of salt makes the Rumors go down..In the most unpleasant waaaaaayyyyyyyy!!":ROFLOL:

Champion

*gasp*:eek: i'd say a new theme park will proably fit in the gaps near Magic Kingdom and Epcot, and AK and a golf course - you might not see the picture very well but i see 2 gaps- sorry if this is an old map, i tried to find a 2007 map
walt-disney-world-resort-map-large.gif

These maps aren't to scale, you know.
Don't worry, they have plenty of land.

That said, the earliest you will see a fifth theme park on WDW property is 2015.

PLTram

I've loved disney for a long time now, but have always thought if they had more "thrill" rides it would be that much better. Another park devoted to rides that please the teenagers-to young adults would just give me another excuse to stay a couple more days :p

Great idea! More thrilling thrill rides, Disney theming, a scary haunted house, etc. That would shut me up for another 25 years or so....

Enigma

Account Suspended
There are several proposals at Imagineering for a 5th. theme park for WDW. However, it is not a priority at this time and the earliest the park would be approved is the beginning of the next decade.

The primary issue right now is to revitilize the current WDW property and upgrade the existing parks.

disneygoof1

when I was there in 03, there were rumors about a villians park going up focused more towards teens. Meaning more roller coasters and others.

JML42691

The earliest that we will see a new park in WDW would be no earlier than about 2018. We will see one eventualy, but before that we will see some major refurbs like the SSE, HM, and PotC. Disney realized this after AK's opening. There is no need to build a new park now, when Disney built AK they thought that people were going to add an extra day to their trip to accomadate 4 parks rather than 3. Another thought that they had behind it was that more people would come. Neither of these have turned out as they were expected to, instead, people merge in AK & MGM into single days and the overall attendance did not rise. MK, EPCOT, & MGM are still recovering to their annual attendance numbers before the opening of AK. So, based on that: there will need to be an overflow of people in the park (enough around the year that Disney has to do something), and the existing parks must be up to date and are full day parks so people do not have as much of an option to cram two parks into a day. The earliest that I see this happening under these reasonings is 2025-2030.

Champion

The earliest that we will see a new park in WDW would be no earlier than about 2018. We will see one eventualy, but before that we will see some major refurbs like the SSE, HM, and PotC. Disney realized this after AK's opening. There is no need to build a new park now, when Disney built AK they thought that people were going to add an extra day to their trip to accomadate 4 parks rather than 3. Another thought that they had behind it was that more people would come. Neither of these have turned out as they were expected to, instead, people merge in AK & MGM into single days and the overall attendance did not rise. MK, EPCOT, & MGM are still recovering to their annual attendance numbers before the opening of AK. So, based on that: there will need to be an overflow of people in the park (enough around the year that Disney has to do something), and the existing parks must be up to date and are full day parks so people do not have as much of an option to cram two parks into a day. The earliest that I see this happening under these reasonings is 2025-2030.

You're forgetting the factor of 9/11 into the attendance. That was the reason the other parks needed to recover more than splitting the crowds into the parks.

You're overshooting the need for a park by about a decade. If the gains continue at what they are, we will need a park in 10 years, not 20.

To avoid cluttering the thread, I put my calculations on this link:
http://www.redws.com/attendance.txt

The basics of it, though, is this:

Assuming a modest 1% increase across the board, you'd have over 4 million more guests in the parks each year in 2015, which is getting to the point where you can justify a new park.

Assuming that increase is a dangerous move, yes. But saying that we won't need a park for nearly twenty years is highly inaccurate. Come 2015, if these numbers are remotely accurate, Disney would be announcing the fifth gate.

THECARISMINE

And the rumors continue I can bet my life that there will be a new park in WDW sometime in the future But it looks like one in DL is going to happen first I think WDW is the place in need of TLC before any new parks though but think of the wait times with a new park oh yes I can see it now a hot july day in MK and whats this a 30 minutes wait for Space M and Splash dreams are great =]

DisneyJMU86

I did really enjoy that show on the travel channel, making me want to stay a night in the suite in Cinderella castle lol (anyone know how much a night of that is by the way?). Do you think Disney would eventually create a park with more "thrill-rides" to compete with say, Universal's Islands of Adventure?

aladdinjrstar

Account Suspended
Well, If i caould spot something out. In about January we got this magazine for WDW. It showd ALOT!! Of new things in a hand book it had: A Cars Ride, Toy Story Mania, Toy Story LIVE, A new firework show, and a new park. There was a HUGE lake in the middle and it ws a western thmed thing. There was also a new water show lie Illumanations. So there could be a new park!

BTW: The tittle for the thing was Year of a Million Dreams

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I wonder id Sea Worlds new water theme park will up the anti any on WDW development. The water parks need something new or a brother perhaps.

ANNOY

CubsRock

I did watch the show on the Travel Channel last night. It was updated and they did mention about another park. I believe it was some phrase they said right before the commercial. When the show came back on, they basically just said that they are creating things today that you won't see for 2, 3, 5 or 10 years. They DID NOT come out and announce a new park. That's what I got out of it. I was glad to see it updated with the new stuff. I have not seen the new Monster's Inc. and it was cool to see it on there.

I believe the Narrorator said something like AK was certainly not the last park at WDW. At that time they showed some sort of poster with fireworks and the Statue of Liberty on it. This was from the 2007 update of the travel channel special.

Donfan

When I saw that sequence, it occurred to me that Disney had spent a lot of time planning the American History Park that they wanted to build in Virginia. Could it be that this might become the fifth gate at WDW?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom