New Monorail

llrain

honestly is it really affecting your life that much that a monorail color may have been taken out of the monorail rainbow?

yes new colors do absolutely nothing to us in the public, but I bet to the monorail team colors mean alot more to them than you, especially Austins colors and the monorails themselves that were involved.
Maybe its the monorail team that is behind it all, conspiring to throw us all off?
maybe the indy or pirate teams could have cared less.
You know what...you are never going to get the real answer from anyone except for the people who work on the monorail team and I doubt they will
explain to use on a message board where everyone likes to doubt everything anyways

I work for an electric company, If someone in my line truck were to die because of an incident within the truck, say he wasnt grounded when working on primaries or something and it happened in the truck. I can guarantee you that our linemen would retire the truck and never use it again following the death, by our own choice. Thats all I am saying. I know we are not disney but weird reactions come out of a tragic incident.

Timekeeper

honestly is it really affecting your life that much that a monorail color may have been taken out of the monorail rainbow?

Nope. But this is a discussion board, so let's discuss. :sohappy:

yes new colors do absolutely nothing to us in the public, but I bet to the monorail team colors mean alot more to them than you, especially Austins colors and the monorails themselves that were involved.

Austin's colors? Last I checked, there were a number of pilots for each monorail train, with no proprietary sense of ownership, unlike a personal vehicle or even work vehicle used by the same driver every day such as a delivery truck or police car. Yes, it's tragic that a young man died, but your comment suggests that we would be referring to the pilot's "colors" based on whoever the last pilot who just so happened to be (fatefullly) pioliting at the time of the accident. If John was piloting, they would be "John's colors," if Jane, "Jane's colors," etc. There's just no logical connection there.

Maybe its the monorail team that is behind it all, conspiring to throw us all off? maybe the indy or pirate teams could have cared less.

Assuming that the monorail team desires to advocate for the "retirement" of specific colors, I don't see the Disney company caving into the requests of a very small minority of employees. We've all seen how stubborn Disney is, even with respect to its own employees.

And I can assure you that it is NOT the case that the WDW entertainment family "could have cared less" at the loss of their own family members (who some would argue work/associate in even closer proximity than monorail pilots do).

I work for an electric company, If someone in my line truck were to die because of an incident within the truck...I can guarantee you that our linemen would retire the truck and never use it again following the death, by our own choice.

In today's economy? Hmmm... Then I would imagine that your company is extremely successful insofar that they can afford to set aside/store/and replace a perfectly functional vehicle. The more probable scenario is that it would be swapped out for another.

Timekeeper

what are the pirate and indy actors/teams that keep getting referenced?

To catch you up to speed, from Time magazine online (Aug 21, 2009):

Over the past six weeks at Disney World, a 21-year-old monorail driver, a 47-year-old actor portraying pirate Captain Jack Sparrow's henchman "Mack" and a 30-year-old stuntman practicing for the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular died in on-the-job accidents.

The first in the string of accidents occurred on July 5, when two monorails collided at the Magic Kingdom's main station at closing time, killing driver Austin Wuennenberg, who friends say was working his dream job.

Next, on Aug. 10, actor Mark Priest died in a hospital where he was being treated for a broken vertebra in his neck and other injuries from a fall that took place four days earlier during a mock sword fight at Captain Jack's Pirate Tutorial audience-participation show. According to his friend Jeffrey Breslauer, Priest — just before he died — said he was performing the sword fight on a new stage for the first time and slipped on a wet spot.

The third death occurred on Aug. 17, when stuntman Anislav Varbanov broke his neck while practicing a tumbling roll at Disney's Hollywood Studios for a scene in a 20-year-old show based on stunts from the movie Raiders of the Lost Ark. Maria Somma, spokeswoman for Actors' Equity, said Varbanov had just signed his equity contract the week before his death.

:(

Basically, the monorail collision was not an isolated fatality that summer.

Hummer1676

To catch you up to speed, from Time magazine online (Aug 21, 2009):

Over the past six weeks at Disney World, a 21-year-old monorail driver, a 47-year-old actor portraying pirate Captain Jack Sparrow's henchman "Mack" and a 30-year-old stuntman practicing for the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular died in on-the-job accidents.

The first in the string of accidents occurred on July 5, when two monorails collided at the Magic Kingdom's main station at closing time, killing driver Austin Wuennenberg, who friends say was working his dream job.

Next, on Aug. 10, actor Mark Priest died in a hospital where he was being treated for a broken vertebra in his neck and other injuries from a fall that took place four days earlier during a mock sword fight at Captain Jack's Pirate Tutorial audience-participation show. According to his friend Jeffrey Breslauer, Priest — just before he died — said he was performing the sword fight on a new stage for the first time and slipped on a wet spot.

The third death occurred on Aug. 17, when stuntman Anislav Varbanov broke his neck while practicing a tumbling roll at Disney's Hollywood Studios for a scene in a 20-year-old show based on stunts from the movie Raiders of the Lost Ark. Maria Somma, spokeswoman for Actors' Equity, said Varbanov had just signed his equity contract the week before his death.

:(

Basically, the monorail collision was not an isolated fatality that summer.

Wow i was unaware of all the accidents that summer.

llrain

Nope. But this is a discussion board, so let's discuss. :sohappy:

true true but more often these boards are flooded with very cynical behavior its hard to really "discuss" without ones head being bitten off

Yes, it's tragic that a young man died, but your comment suggests that we would be referring to the pilot's "colors" based on whoever the last pilot who just so happened to be (fatefullly) pioliting at the time of the accident. If John was piloting, they would be "John's colors," if Jane, "Jane's colors," etc. There's just no logical connection there.

This kind of is how i was portraying it to the t. His last ride was on pink or purple so therefore i associate him forever now as being the captain of the pink monorail.
Sue and Jane are too or colors whenever they drive, but Im not speaking of them at this time. So thats my connection. He was driving pink or purple and on his last journey, not owning the monorail itself, just a point of reference

Assuming that the monorail team desires to advocate for the "retirement" of specific colors, I don't see the Disney company caving into the requests of a very small minority of employees. We've all seen how stubborn Disney is, even with respect to its own employees.

This is true, but these employees if they have this voice, would only be asking for a color change, if its paint, what, a couple hundred dollars to dispose of this nightmare color and lay pink/purple to rest. They really arent asking for a multi-million dollar project so something this small execs or managers might be willing to work with the employees on this one

In today's economy? Hmmm... Then I would imagine that your company is extremely successful insofar that they can afford to set aside/store/and replace a perfectly functional vehicle. The more probable scenario is that it would be swapped out for another.

We arent the fly by night electrician eletric company, we are the monopoly
electric co. You know, they one every customer probably hate cause the rates are too high...and complains because their outage lasts for more than 2 hours

Timekeeper

This is true, but these employees if they have this voice, would only be asking for a color change, if its paint, what, a couple hundred dollars to dispose of this nightmare color and lay pink/purple to rest. They really arent asking for a multi-million dollar project so something this small execs or managers might be willing to work with the employees on this one

I suppose there are different schools of thought on this, just as there are different opinions on whether the twin towers should have been rebuilt, or replaced with something different, or left void as a memorial. Similarly, the monorail colors could be retired and replaced, or the trains all renamed to avoid isolating the ones involved, or left in their original-color glory. Of course, I'm not trying to analogize a single life lost due to an accident and relatively modest press coverage to acts of terrorism witnessed by the world, but I am merely acknowledging that minds will differ as to which option serves as the best "tribute" to the individual lost ...and some would suggest that keeping the original colors may be the best "tribute." :)

Mr.EPCOT

Think about the CMs who have to drive the trains. Do you really think they want to be in a cab saying "purple bye" or "pink bye" I sure as heck wouldn't

For what it's worth, all of my fellow pilot friends (and myself) think that they should have kept the colors the same.

Mr.EPCOT

Where is #12 right now? Are there pieces on property waiting for the finishing touches or has everything been shipped ou?

The train has been sitting in the maintenance shop for a while, I think there's been a couple photos floating around the Internet of it. All I've heard are one or two tidbits through the grapevine, but I know it doesn't have cabs yet. I guess that's the hold-up, they have to manufacture those out-of-state.

montyz81

The train has been sitting in the maintenance shop for a while, I think there's been a couple photos floating around the Internet of it. All I've heard are one or two tidbits through the grapevine, but I know it doesn't have cabs yet. I guess that's the hold-up, they have to manufacture those out-of-state.
Anyone "in the know" have any updates on ole #14? Also, I would love to see those pictures if possible if anyone has any links. sorry for the thread bump, I am just a huge fan of the Monorails and would love to be one of the first to know it's status.

Tom

Beta Return
Anyone "in the know" have any updates on ole #14? Also, I would love to see those pictures if possible if anyone has any links. sorry for the thread bump, I am just a huge fan of the Monorails and would love to be one of the first to know it's status.

Um. #14 hasn't quite been conceived yet. Neither has #13. :shrug:

montyz81

I believe they are referring to "14" being the one in shop waiting for the new cabs with "13" being Teal.
Correct, there are 14 colors, but only 12 operational trains. The colors are the ones being retired, so I just refer to the next two as 13 and 14.

Tom

Beta Return
I believe they are referring to "14" being the one in shop waiting for the new cabs with "13" being Teal.

Correct, there are 14 colors, but only 12 operational trains. The colors are the ones being retired, so I just refer to the next two as 13 and 14.

Ok, I see. Just sort of confusing since there will still only be 12 trains. The use of 13 and 14 terminology will just stir up a lot of confusion on here :)

parkgoer

not sure what you're talking about 13, and 14 but to correct you, there are only 11 trains in service at this point. It has been that way for over a year now. Monorail red is in shop getting a overhaul, so that makes it 10. There is no 14th color yet....

The "new" cab for train 12 "peach" has been sitting in shop now for about a week now. I say "new" because it is re-manufactured from pink or purple. Nobody knows which, and i'm sure it will stay that way. It is not painted yet, just primed white, no stripe. The cars of train 12 are now getting cleaned up and ready for service. Hopefully we see this "new" train in service soon :)

sorry no pictures, not worth losing my job. You'll see it soon enough.

Edit: to be clear, the cab is not attached to the cars, it is just the cab/car in the paint shop while the 4 cars of train 12 sit on the beam with no cabs. the paint shop is a separate room inside shop and is not big enough for a train to fit in.

Teal- Cab 6 purple. cars 5,4,3,2, & cab 1 are pink.

Tom

Beta Return
not sure what you're talking about 13, and 14 but to correct you, there are only 11 trains in service at this point. It has been that way for over a year now. Monorail red is in shop getting a overhaul, so that makes it 10. There is no 14th color yet....

The "new" cab for train 12 "peach" has been sitting in shop now for about a week now. I say "new" because it is re-manufactured from pink or purple. Nobody knows which, and i'm sure it will stay that way. It is not painted yet, just primed white, no stripe. The cars of train 12 are now getting cleaned up and ready for service. Hopefully we see this "new" train in service soon :)

sorry no pictures, not worth losing my job. You'll see it soon enough.

Edit: to be clear, the cab is not attached to the cars, it is just the cab/car in the paint shop while the 4 cars of train 12 sit on the beam with no cabs. the paint shop is a separate room inside shop and is not big enough for a train to fit in.

Teal- Cab 6 purple. cars 5,4,3,2, & cab 1 are pink.

Peach, you say? :hurl:

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
really wish I could find the post where I specifically said it would be peach and was called a liar. Sorry, just love to point out when I'm right!

parkgoer

really wish I could find the post where I specifically said it would be peach and was called a liar. Sorry, just love to point out when I'm right!

it's been known in shop and in paper as train 12 for a while. as of recently on the train lists it now says "peach" tho I can't confirm it will actually be peach, tho it's a good indication to me. Like i said the cab is just primed, no stripe yet. It definitely won't be maroon...

montyz81

it's been known in shop and in paper as train 12 for a while. as of recently on the train lists it now says "peach" tho I can't confirm it will actually be peach, tho it's a good indication to me. Like i said the cab is just primed, no stripe yet. It definitely won't be maroon...

Well you know more then I, but there are still 14 colors regardless. That is why I referred to them as 13 and 14 as purple and pink are retired. I can go back to 11 and 12 but it doesn't feel right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom