New Monorail Control System

Blinkers

Original Poster
Is it just more or does having Windows based controls in the monorails make you a little weary of going on them? Im just picturing an illegal operation and the doors flying open.... :wave:

reblue

It's actually a very safe system. It is kind of buggy - but I like it. Even if it lost Windows, the train would still be operational - it has a non Windows back up for the anti-collision system (mapo). Of course if it did loose windows, you can bet that maintence would be up there like no other.

Invero

It's a neat system, but I kinda expected more. Oh well, could be worse!

Kinda bummed that I let my certification expire, I wouldn't mind taking yellow out for a spin. I miss driving those trains. :)

NowInc

I dont think you really have to worry about it crashing..its not like they are gunna install new software on it (such as messenger programs etc)..so its pretty much going to run the same every day..all day.

disneydata

News to you, XP is NOT all that "stable". There are security updates coming out every two weeks for XP Pro (what I have and what Disney would have used). I don't think Disney would want to use something that some guy could hack into and screw with the operation. 2000 is one of, if not the best and most secure, networking OS right now (at least in my opinion).

Woody13

Originally posted by Nick
News to you, XP is NOT all that "stable". There are security updates coming out every two weeks for XP Pro (what I have and what Disney would have used). I don't think Disney would want to use something that some guy could hack into and screw with the operation. 2000 is one of, if not the best and most secure, networking OS right now (at least in my opinion).

Windows XP, released at the end of 2001, is intended to be a single, unifying product, replacing all Windows lines. XP is based on the Windows NT kernel (it's actually only a slight revision of Windows 2000, and is known internally as Windows NT 5.1) and should eliminate the problems of all its predecessors, including the scant industry support of the NT line and the poor performance and reliability of the 9x/Me line.

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by Woody13
Windows XP, released at the end of 2001, is intended to be a single, unifying product, replacing all Windows lines. XP is based on the Windows NT kernel (it's actually only a slight revision of Windows 2000, and is known internally as Windows NT 5.1) and should eliminate the problems of all its predecessors, including the scant industry support of the NT line and the poor performance and reliability of the 9x/Me line.

Yeah, exactly. LOL, in the previous versions of NT and 2000 they just grouped all the bug fixes together and called them service packs. LOL, marketing......

blm07

Haha yeah, unless the monorail has the internet, then the security updates are good for nothing. And anyway, I've never seen the blue screen of death unless I'm messing with drivers, but even then, its super rare. If the program is crappy though, it might screw up, but that isn't windows fault.

NowInc

Lets not get into a "windows sucks" debate here...been done too often. They chose what they chose for good reasons (their own)...leave it at that ;)

GaryT977

Originally posted by Invero
Kinda bummed that I let my certification expire, I wouldn't mind taking yellow out for a spin. I miss driving those trains. :)

How could you?!? :D

You actually have to stay certified? I can't image that you'd forget how to drive them. ;)

barnum42

The reason they do not use Windows XP, is that sod all in the way of hardware is backwards compatible with it. The monorails are several years old. XP can’t cope with my two year old scanner, printer or TV card. What hope has a Disney Monorail? ;)

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by barnum42
The reason they do not use Windows XP, is that sod all in the way of hardware is backwards compatible with it. The monorails are several years old. XP can’t cope with my two year old scanner, printer or TV card. What hope has a Disney Monorail? ;)

Everything including drivers to interface with the various sensors and hardware peices would have to have been custom written. Therefore compatibility issues would not exist. Likewise, its not like you can just go to monorail.com and download the Walt Disney World Monorail driver updates.

Invero

Originally posted by GaryT977
How could you?!? :D

You actually have to stay certified? I can't image that you'd forget how to drive them. ;)

Oh, I haven't forgotten. In fact, I could get recertified, if Disney would be willing to pay the $10 to do it. But they're not. Oh well. :)

Invero

Originally posted by niteobsrvr
Likewise, its not like you can just go to monorail.com and download the Walt Disney World Monorail driver updates.

Aw, man! I was hoping to do that, so that I could see if I could get a Mapo Red on my computer. Shucks! LOL

NowInc

Originally posted by Invero
I think the TRS-80 is more powerful than the original computer! lol

The old ones ran off computers? Woah...hehe. I always thought of it more like a power steering device..no real microchip needed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom