New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

muteki

Why should there be a back entrance into the stores? The point of this to alleviate traffic...not to create an alternate route back into shops.
Because not doing it is the easy way out?

Something equivalent to a Main St. themed Streets of America facades would be great, with rear shop entrances...but it doesn't look like that's happening.

Animaniac93-98

They had a crane already there today working on it - due to open for Christmas season.

It will be themed - not just planters. Redoing backside facades.

Just to clarify, this will not be a covered arcade like in DLP, but new facades wrapping around the back of the buildings?

I don't care either way as I support the idea, just checking.

peachykeen

NO. Walt would not have wanted this.

I have to disagree. What I think Walt would not have wanted was the current setup, where cheap, fake topiaries are wheeled into a rough shape of a path, Guests are directed into a 100% backstage area, where they pass by dumpsters that reek of garbage, large delivery trucks rushing feet away with nothing but those fake plants between them and the Guests, the Cast Member smoking area and cafeteria, with full view of the Princess break room, as well as the pad Tinkerbell lands on. Then expect them to pop out on Main St./Tomorrowland and be immediately back in the "story" of the Magic Kingdom.

The bypass, unfortunately, NEEDS to be open on busier nights, because Main St crowding becomes a safety issue. So, if it has to be done, what Walt would have wanted is for the area to be themed. (IMHO of course. No one can speak for what Walt truly wants except him)

Now, if it were up to ME, I would make the policy to stop letting Guests into the park when it reaches the point that the backstage bypass would be needed, but that's not going to happen :) So, this is the next best option, and much better than the current situation.

NowInc

Now, if it were up to ME, I would make the policy to stop letting Guests into the park when it reaches the point that the backstage bypass would be needed, but that's not going to happen :)

I think its more of an issue with the more-than previous use of large strollers. It's gotten progressively...I don't want to say "worse" because its something that people (in theory) need to use..but there are a LOT more of them now than in previous years. These make it a LOT harder to get people moving around, especially at the end of the night.

PhotoDave219

I think its more of an issue with the more-than previous use of large strollers. It's gotten progressively...I don't want to say "worse" because its something that people (in theory) need to use..but there are a LOT more of them now than in previous years. These make it a LOT harder to get people moving around, especially at the end of the night.

Exactly. When you have 40 or 50,000 people all trying to exit at the same time down Main Street… You have an insane problem. Disney is addressing it in the best way possible.

Plus it during parade? You cannot get out of the park. You have to go through the stores Or wait.

I can't tell you how many people I've seen get very angry… Possibly myself included… Because all they want to do is just exit the park.

Ignohippo

I love this idea! It's been needed for years.

In a perfect world, IMO, this would be outdoors and a true New Orleans Square kind of plussing. While it's a bypass, I see no reason why it couldn't be a major addition to MK as well (except, of course, it's TDO who don't like to spend money).

For those of you saying "but this is a sacrilege because it takes away from Main Street", I say that's nonsense. Main Street will still be there in all its glory. There's nothing about this taking away from that.

But Good Lord, it'll be great to have someplace to go instead of fighting parade and fireworks crowds!!

Ignohippo

In the end, the only thing that matters is how "plussed " or "show ready" it is.

If it's as beautiful as DLP's then it'll be a fantastic addition; if it's your usual TDO "let's sheetrock some walls and put posters up", then major fail.

I'm betting it'll be the latter but I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

Bolna

Ah, what a shame that it won't be like DLP. The back entrances into the shops are great - as they also provide a way to escape Main Street if you find it too full. The way this alternate exit works is that if you don't get into it at the start, you will still be stuck on Main Street.

Hey, at least I get to see those beautiful arcades in less than three months!!! :D

Bairstow

While it's a bypass, I see no reason why it couldn't be a major addition to MK as well (except, of course, it's TDO who don't like to spend money).

It's in a rather important area for running/supplying a pretty big sector of the park.
If this "new" area amounts to more than a well-themed pathway only open during mass exodus events, it's going to require some major infrastructure changes.
I don't see that happening. It's simply not necessary.

JohnD

In the end, the only thing that matters is how "plussed " or "show ready" it is.

If it's as beautiful as DLP's then it'll be a fantastic addition; if it's your usual TDO "let's sheetrock some walls and put posters up", then major fail.

I'm betting it'll be the latter but I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

I disagree. After a fun but tiring day, the last thing I'm going to care about is the theming or that it's "show ready." An alternate exit would be wonderful, thank you, so I'm not crammed in like a sardine. But being Disney, you can be sure it will be spruced up for guests anyway.

RandySavage

Just to clarify, this will not be a covered arcade like in DLP, but new facades wrapping around the back of the buildings?

I don't care either way as I support the idea, just checking.

Given the time-frame and lack of regular access, I think anyone expecting even rear-facing facades (like Main Street's front-facing ones) may be imagining something much greater than what this project entails. Period billboards, fencing and maybe some character paint/plaster (brickwork) might be where to set expectations.

devoy1701

Why should there be a back entrance into the stores? The point of this to alleviate traffic...not to create an alternate route back into shops.
while the point is to alliviate traffic issues, they should also be doing everything possible to make it thematically pleasing if they're going to do this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom