New IP focused Food & Beverage costumes debut at several resorts.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Before and after
CC950715-A0DE-4A40-9715-F48517A3DF2F.png
03883CCC-135B-4D44-8A50-6462290DEB46.jpeg

TrainsOfDisney

I didn’t realize Disney had so many headless CM’s - I’ve only seen them around in October!

I’m not a fan of the generic costume but at least the aprons are Resort specific for now.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Picture of the monorail aprons from DFB -

View attachment 529762

Another example of different parts of the company not speaking to each other. This costume doesn’t coordinate with anything around it. Way to clash with the resorts color pallet. I’m just so disappointed. Not that the previous costume was great, but it at least matched the location.

TrainsOfDisney

Another example of different parts of the company not speaking to each other. This costume doesn’t coordinate with anything around it. Way to clash with the resorts color pallet. I’m just so disappointed. Not that the previous costume was great, but it at least matched the location.
Agreed. I feel like it’s the same for all of the aprons. The apron designs themselves are fine, but they don’t match the look and feel of their environment.

UNCgolf

I'm not sure that apron design would look good with anything. Using the monorail was a good choice, but that specific design is just too busy. It's kind of jarring.

rreading

Such a shame. The previous costumes made the cast look like they belonged in the time and place the resort is set in. Now it just looks lazy and generic.
Such is a discussion board.

fwiw I think that the boardwalk one looks really nice and fits with the resort. So does the poly one - sure the other one was kitschy but the new one evokes a character loved by the kids and looks nice for the adults.

I don’t prefer the monorail one but when has every decision been a home run?

I’m going with a thumbs up for the ones I’ve seen photos of. That being said - if someone has an opinion on having seen these in person - I would love their opinion

Gringrinngghost

Over the past week several hotels have debuted new costumes for QSR cast. They are all similar in design with either navy, beige, or black pants with either a white or green button up shirt, depending on the location. The apron is the resort specific with a coordinating character:

Boardwalk: Dumbo
Caribbean Beach: Dancing fish from The Little mermaid
Old Key West: Orange Bird
Saratoga: A horse (unsure of which film but looks like an old animated short)
Contemporary: Monorails
Pop Century: Mickey Mouse Quotes
Art of Animation: water color character outlines

View attachment 528012

TrainsOfDisney

Such is a discussion board.

fwiw I think that the boardwalk one looks really nice and fits with the resort. So does the poly one - sure the other one was kitschy but the new one evokes a character loved by the kids and looks nice for the adults.

I don’t prefer the monorail one but when has every decision been a home run?

I’m going with a thumbs up for the ones I’ve seen photos of. That being said - if someone has an opinion on having seen these in person - I would love their opinion
On their own they fit the theme of the resort. They don’t match their surroundings as well as the themed costumes before but I’ll give them some credit for not doing a generic apron with Disney snack emojis.

As far as “what a discussion board” this exists to discuss Disney Parks. It would be boring if we all had the same opinion and nothing to discuss!

Touchdown

I think calling them costumes is a misnomer at this point. Costumes made sense when they were actually themed attire corresponding to the theme of the area, but now that they're mainly just standard color differentiated outfits, costumes sounds silly. It makes more sense to call them uniforms.
But, but, but uniforms are worn by employees who serve customers; costumes are worn by cast members serving guests 🙄😉🤣

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
They look like something from Old Navy. But 3 sizes too big.
That’s what I’ve been noticing too, not a good fit. I remember when we switched over our costumes at the Canada pavilion we were scheduled time to go try the new ones on to see what sizes we needed, doesnt look like that happened here. They do look like they’ll be much more comfortable for Cast working outside all day with no air conditioning, though maybe a button up quick dry shirt could have looked nicer. In the end my vacation isn’t going to be ruined by this, but they should be careful not to keep going down this road.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Costumes Rooted in Conservation

Are you familiar with upcycling? It’s a novel way to take trash and transform it into something even better than it was before.

For example, the aprons in these photos are all made from fabric created from recycled plastic water bottles. In fact, each apron is keeping 50 bottles out of the landfill!

When Food and Beverage partners were recently looking for new costume designs for quick service restaurant cast members in resorts, Costuming cast members Christine, Michelle, Annamarie and Sandy infused some conservation-based creativity into a head-to-toe eco-friendly costume refresh with fun characters and Disney icons infused into the design.

“So much is happening with fabric technology, which includes lightweight performance fabric created with recycled fiber” Costume Development and Implementation Manager Michelle said. “We’ve found that sweet spot to get functional and durable, vibrant fabrics with fun designs cast and guests will love.”

While Christine and Michelle have been working in Costuming for years, they both love learning and trying new things every day, which is something they really love about their roles.

“It was so exciting when we were testing the recycled goods, finding out how many water bottles went into making each one of these aprons,” Costume Designer Christine said. “There’s such a great drive from the Company to look for places where we can be more efficient and be better global citizens. And being able to use recycled fabrics, I think the cast are going to be proud of that. Knowing that their costumes are making a difference.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom