New Horizons Pin

jmvd20

Yeah, that pin says "remember when no one wanted to go to Epcot anymore and the only good thing about Horizons was that you could catch some quick Zzzzz's on a hot day?"

You forgot to add that it got that way only due to WDW neglecting upkeep, not updating the ride scenes, and letting routine maintenance items go undone...

The best rides and attractions will fall victim to poor attendance when they are in disrepair...

PeoplemoverTTA

Some other of the Remember When Series

pin51110

pin52294

I totally forgot about this series and these pins specifically! I saw them in January, and I really wanted the Empress Lilly (on my 8th birthday, my family was in WDW, including two aunts, 4 cousins, my grandma, mom, brother, sister and I - a retro-"Magical Gathering", and the entire room sang "Happy Birthday" to my brother and I - we're twins) one, and the magic shop (again, more good memories), but I couldn't fathom spending $30 on two pins. I bought my sister the magic shop one, though (she paid me back :animwink:).

Call me a sap, but I really fall for the "classic" -type pins :D

Enigma

Account Suspended

pin51110

pin51177

pin51512

pin52294

pin54596

pin53709

Dang, we lost alot of good stuff (with the exception of that last pin which I think proves that even the Disney corporation has a sense of humor...I mean who would want to remember THAT?)

Oh and what is the "empress lilly" ?

PeoplemoverTTA

Oh and what is the "empress lilly" ?

It's the boat where Fulton's Crab House is now at DTD/PI. They used to do character meals there, and there was a playground right by it, if my memory serves me correctly.

We stayed at the Viscount on that trip (1988), and I remember we walked to the "Marketplace."

Good times....

I feel like Sophia Petrillo:

"Picture it, Walt Disney World...":lol:

Tink's Favorite

Come on, no one is missing Mission to Mars. Alien Encounter is a different story. When the guy in the rafters gets 'CRUNCHED'.....awesome. And where's my Mr. Toad pin?

Tink's Favorite

Oops, I forgot to say to the OP that I love Horizons and I certainly do "Remember When". Thanks for showing us the pin. If I were a pin collector, I would jump on it.

ClasikRok

I think you miss the point.... the general public isn't interested in a "sit on your duff and watch a bunch of AA's tell you the same story over and over and over" ride anymore.

What's the latest ones built? Pooh? Nemo? I think there is a limited target audience there for those rides, the same audience that can watch Cars 30 times a week if you let them.

All the attention grabber rides are those with an interesting sensation/viewpoint (Space, Soarin, Tower, Test Track, etc) or a show that is close to fresh every time you go (Crush, Laugh Floor) or at least audience particiaption (Buzz, Toy Story Mania).

There is no wonder in seeing AA's bob along anyomre unless it is for nostalgia (Mansion, Pirates, Small World). There's a reason you could always get on Spaceship Earth when everything else had a line.....

Or Horizons, when that was open.

I'm going to have to disagee....and there are probably several others here who would join me.

Horizons was always my favorite ride at EPCOT and I was devastated when I found out it was being removed.

TheBeatles

Hmm this reminds me of something I saw yesterday when I visited the old space breakroom... seems that sometime in the past 9 months or so since I worked there a concept drawing of the space pavilion in the horizons building was added... looked kinda neat.

Waaaaaaaa? Please share this!

pin51110

pin51177

pin51512

pin52294

pin54596

pin53709
My mom would like the Plaza Swan Boats pin. She never had a chance to ride it because when she first went to Disney World, it was the first thing she wanted to ride and it was closed.

I wonder if I could find that on eBay for her..

Anyway, spiffy Horizons pin. :)

EpcotServo

There is no wonder in seeing AA's bob along anyomre unless it is for nostalgia (Mansion, Pirates, Small World). There's a reason you could always get on Spaceship Earth when everything else had a line.....

Or was it because they can always load people and have an amazing OHRC?

Oh, wait now I remember the answer.

It's yes.

jmvd20

I think you miss the point.... the general public isn't interested in a "sit on your duff and watch a bunch of AA's tell you the same story over and over and over" ride anymore.

Indeed... I guess that would explain why rides like SSE, Pirates and HM have some of the highest attendance numbers...

Or could the reason SSE never has an hour wait be because it has an incredibly high capacity of riders per hour, which is the same for Horizons and WoM???

Soarin, RnR, ToT have relatively low capacities and thus - longer lines.

Nah, that couldn't be the reason though could it? It just seems too logical...

Enderikari

Indeed... I guess that would explain why rides like SSE, Pirates and HM have some of the highest attendance numbers...

Or could the reason SSE never has an hour wait be because it has an incredibly high capacity of riders per hour, which is the same for Horizons and WoM???

::Cough Cough::
Good point, but you forgot the ultimate people eater, IASW

jmvd20

::Cough Cough::
Good point, but you forgot the ultimate people eater, IASW

I accidently posted the lyrics to "that" song a few days ago, also mentioned some things from the "book"...

Some people complained so I didn't want to bring it up again so soon :D

Epcot82Guy

There is no doubt that Epcot needed an update to impress the "current crowd". But, to say that these were not entirely popular is a bit too far. I think a park that featured the current offerings along with the original JII and an updated Horizons would post pretty good numbers all the way around.

jmvd20

There is no doubt that Epcot needed an update to impress the "current crowd". But, to say that these were not entirely popular is a bit too far. I think a park that featured the current offerings along with the original JII and an updated Horizons would post pretty good numbers all the way around.

Epcot needed updating for sure, I doubt many people would disagree with that.

I still feel that the attendance numbers at Epcot were down because Disney flat out abandoned attractions that didn't have a sponsor. When GE left Horizons things remained broken without being repaired which most definitely affected the quality of the ride and therefore attendance numbers.

More recently, SSE was a complete mess a few years back, printing press was broke, audio was horrible, ride system is loud and very bumpy, half the lights were out, AA's were not moving... I can only imagine how far they would have let it go had Siemens not signed on as a sponsor.

Musiker110

the pin's great but all it really does is play with my emotions, especially cuz it says "Remember when?" lol Disney should just bring back horizons instead :zipit:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom