New here.

Noralou

Original Poster
Hello All,

Just introducing myself. I have been to WDW in 2015 with little planning and am now going this March and have done much more planning. Part of my planning was going to another board/forum site and while helpful I found it clicky and many there judgmental. I don't want to call out the forum but can anyone relate? Anyway, looking forward to learning from you all and if I can, imparting any advice, etc..

KBLovedDisney

Yo!
2443168.jpg

Welcome.

Noralou

Original Poster
Welcome. Anything in particular you want to know?
Well, I am debating on whether doing the dessert parties is going to save any time. It seems like you still may want to start lining up to get in around 2 hours before the event if you want to get a premium viewing spot. I think Shannon from WDW prep school recommended to get to the parties about 30 minutes before they let people in. There is probably a thread on dessert parties? I have a reservation for the Star Wars party and one for HEA but they are a lot of money and am considering cancelling one or both. I am sure that no matter what, the viewing spots will be better than most of standby (not sure if that is the right term here?) but am not sure if it is worth the money. I am willing to stake out a spot 2 hours in advance. The other thing those is that besides the view, people in standby get pushy and are packed in like sardines so yeah, just don't know what to do. I have not done a dessert party before. Thanks for the welcome!

Noralou

Original Poster
Welcome! Also going in march! Welcome to our crazy zany family!
Thank you, I hope you enjoy your March trip! What are your dates? Mine are the 16th to the 23rd. Hope it isn't too much of a madhouse then. It will just be me and my daughter so it shouldn't be too hard to navigate around or to please everyone in my small party. I am mostly looking forward to Epcot at springtime! When we went in 2015, we were there in June so am expecting the weather to be nicer.

Mainahman

Thank you, I hope you enjoy your March trip! What are your dates? Mine are the 16th to the 23rd. Hope it isn't too much of a madhouse then. It will just be me and my daughter so it shouldn't be too hard to navigate around or to please everyone in my small party. I am mostly looking forward to Epcot at springtime! When we went in 2015, we were there in June so am expecting the weather to be nicer.
March 2nd we start driving arrive on the 3rd, stay till the 10th. The last time i was there, it was the last week of august of 2012... im expecting alot cooler weather this trip around!

DfromATX

Welcome and yes, I know what you mean about being cliquey. I was on cruise forum once upon a time and some of the people had been on there for like 10 years, had thousands of posts, and acted like they owned the darned thing. Anyway... people fight and bicker on occasion, but it's not too bad. As for your second trip, I think you will be amazed at what all you missed the first time!

Noralou

Original Poster
Welcome and yes, I know what you mean about being cliquey. I was on cruise forum once upon a time and some of the people had been on there for like 10 years, had thousands of posts, and acted like they owned the darned thing. Anyway... people fight and bicker on occasion, but it's not too bad. As for your second trip, I think you will be amazed at what all you missed the first time!
Good to know!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Well, I am debating on whether doing the dessert parties is going to save any time. It seems like you still may want to start lining up to get in around 2 hours before the event if you want to get a premium viewing spot. I think Shannon from WDW prep school recommended to get to the parties about 30 minutes before they let people in. There is probably a thread on dessert parties? I have a reservation for the Star Wars party and one for HEA but they are a lot of money and am considering cancelling one or both. I am sure that no matter what, the viewing spots will be better than most of standby (not sure if that is the right term here?) but am not sure if it is worth the money. I am willing to stake out a spot 2 hours in advance. The other thing those is that besides the view, people in standby get pushy and are packed in like sardines so yeah, just don't know what to do. I have not done a dessert party before. Thanks for the welcome!

We did the Tomorrowland Dessert party. We arrived about 20 minutes before they let us in. We didn't need to arrive earlier because they assign you to a table prior to the event. Also did SW desert party at DHS. Arrived about 20 minutes after opening. Few tables left.

They won't let you line up 2 hours early.

Noralou

Original Poster
We did the Tomorrowland Dessert party. We arrived about 20 minutes before they let us in. We didn't need to arrive earlier because they assign you to a table prior to the event. Also did SW desert party at DHS. Arrived about 20 minutes after opening. Few tables left.

They won't let you line up 2 hours early.
You can't stake out a spot in the hub 2 hours early? I thought I had read about people doing that? To clarify, I am considering finding a standby spot 2 hours early instead of doing the party. What I meant in my initial question post was that it seems like you need to arrive at the party entrance 2 hours before the event starts (or at least 1.5 hours to get a decent table get enough time to eat and then find a spot in the reserved area) so that it doesn't seem like it saves much time. Hope that makes sense. Thanks for lettng me know about your experience!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
You can't stake out a spot in the hub 2 hours early? I thought I had read about people doing that? To clarify, I am considering finding a standby spot 2 hours early instead of doing the party. What I meant in my initial question post was that it seems like you need to arrive at the party entrance 2 hours before the event starts (or at least 1.5 hours to get a decent table get enough time to eat and then find a spot in the reserved area) so that it doesn't seem like it saves much time. Hope that makes sense. Thanks for lettng me know about your experience!

Oh, sorry, misunderstood you. You can stake out a spot to watch the fireworks that early - yes, lots of people do. Just make sure to be aware of whatever ropes/tape on the ground Cast Members have laid out so you're not in designated lanes of traffic or they'll tell you to move on once the show starts. And don't get too close to the Castle, i.e., right in front, unless you want a crick in your neck. I found standing over by Casey's to be a good viewing spot.

I've not done the fireworks dessert party since they've changed things once the Hub redesign was completed. And I frankly wouldn't recommend the SW dessert party at Hollywood Studios. You're off to the side over by Hollywood & Vine restaurant with lots of trees blocking your view and crammed together, while non-party people were standing dead center on Hollywood Blvd.

Back when we made an effort to see the fireworks, we'd get the fastpass that let you into the Rose Garden over by the bridge leading to Tomorrowland. Great spot as you could sit down and it felt like the fireworks went off right over your head. We always found a spot right under the zip line for Tinkerbell.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom