New Haunted Mansion Spiel

EPCOT Explorer

That's interesting...I hope they do add new effects.But as for the lines,I honestly don't see the big deal.Will people actually notice?:shrug:

raven

First off...Jim Hill? :brick:

Secondly I have never heard a CM use those words yet and I go all the time. I'm not saying that they don't use them it's just that every time I've been over the past 25 years I've yet to hear them use them.

drkokintz

I've heard "wrethched bodies."

"Drag your wrethched bodies to the dead center of the room."

But I don't ever recall hearing blood red carpet.

DisneyLeo18

i was there this past weekend and the CMs were still using the same spiel. so either they didnt change it or some one was breaking the rules!!!!!!

MicheleK

I was just going to say the same exact thing!! (lol).

I've been going for over 25 years and I've never hear the "blood red carpet" either. But "Drag your wrethched bodies to the dea center of the room." All the time :wave:

imagineer boy

I think I recall a thread a long time ago that had a rumor that they were going to change the HM to be more politically correct and remove the "wretched bodies" lines and have the CMs be less improvisational. Anyone else remember this?

Actually, I do remember one CM saying to move away from "the blood stained walls."

Captain Hank

I've heard both "wretched bodies" and "blood-red carpet" at various times. I was on HM last night, and I didn't hear the CM spiel at all--he was probably drowned out by a very loud family in the stretch room, though...who proceeded to take flash pictures during the entire ride. :fork:

RnRJoe6114

I was raised pretty openly and all but even if I wasn't I don't see that much of a big deal with 'wretched bodies' and 'blood-red'...Yea it is Disney but again it's the Haunted Mansion...eh...I don't care anymore...

Now, I do think its silly that they are changing the spiel to be more polite and PC or whatever. However, I dont think its a big deal and it probably wont bug me all that much.

RiversideBunny

Why would the bodies be wretched at that point anyway?
The guests are still living and so is the person saying it.

There must be a better spooky phrase to use in jest that fits the situation.

Definition
wretched (-id)
adjective
  1. deeply distressed or unhappy; miserable; unfortunate
  2. characterized by or causing distress or misery; dismal wretched slums
  3. poor in quality; very inferior a wretched meal
  4. contemptible; despicable
:)

Sherrybaby

We rode four times this past week. The first three times the CMs were truly "dead". All they said was, "Please move forward" then "Please move towards the center of the room". So I figured that was it.

But then the last time we rode the CM was in full character and used all the old lines.

Maybe some CMs are just "breaking the rules" and seeing how long they can get away with it?

I wonder what type of action would be taken by Disney if the CM were "caught" if this is indeed a new "rule"?

Sherry.

I haven't heard any spiel the last couple times we went. Probably because everyone is so loud and obnoxious. However, the last time we were there for the pirate and princess party I heard them cm repeatedly ask a 20-something man to get off the wall (about 10 times) and the man stayed on the wall mocking him. Unfortunately for us, he was on the DOOR part (which we knew because we go so often) and we were stuck in the room until he moved his wretched body. As the cm was passing us on our way through the door, after he walked right up to the guy and finally practically forced him to move, we heard him say under his breath, "Get off the wall because it's the door, stupid"
We laughed so hard, although he could have probably gotten in big trouble for it.
I don't know how you cm's put up with everything that you do...
Kudos to all of you!

RSoxNo1

There are two sides to this argument - For starters I can't stand the PC police. In most situations they complain about things that they can simply avoid (tv shows for example). However, with Disney it is expected that things be family friendly. The problem is, this shouldn't offend people, and a line needs to be officially drawn as to what is offensive and what isn't. I feel that when the PC police are given an inch, they'll take a lot more than that. Any mention of death in the ride could also illicit complaints. I don't see anything wrong with the changes that were made, but I fear the reasons behind these changes.

Why would the bodies be wretched at that point anyway?
The guests are still living and so is the person saying it.

There must be a better spooky phrase to use in jest that fits the situation.

Definition
wretched (-id)

adjective
  1. deeply distressed or unhappy; miserable; unfortunate
  2. characterized by or causing distress or misery; dismal wretched slums
  3. poor in quality; very inferior a wretched meal
  4. contemptible; despicable
:)

I think 'deeply distressed' fits the bill quite nicely. But more importantly, it sounds cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom