New guy trying to plan a marriage proposal

stopgo

Hi everyone!

I'm new here so perhaps a quick into before I ask my questions.

Cast:
Scott(me), 31, living in the DC-Metro area (DVC member, been to the World about a dozen times).
Monica(the hopefully-future-Mrs. Scott), 26, and has only been to WDW once in the last 15 years (that was in Jan' 04 with me and my family).

We're headed back to WDW next month for A Very Special Purpose: to speak to the Disney Wedding folks. I plan to formally propose to Monica during this visit (cue the dramatic music). I've booked a private Breathless cruise for this purpose but, unfortunately, I couldn't get the Illuminations cruise. I've been giving this some more thought and the idea of proposing to her during a fireworks show is REALLY appealing as every time we Monica sees fireworks she'll be reminded of "that moment" (is this too cheezy?). We met several years ago in England so it might be fun to try and incorporate the UK pavillion into my plans. I understand that there might be some semi-private Illuminations viewing areas there. Is that true?

So, in view of all this, I'd love to hear any and all suggestions anyone could offer that might help me out. Please understand that I'd like this to be relatively private (no Cinderalla's Footman stuff) and, of course, memorable.

Thanks everyone! And I'm glad I found y'all.

DisneySam

Hello Scott! I think you have the right idea so far! I think the fireworks cruise is a GREAT idea! The great thing is that in almost every part of Disney World you have endless ideas [as I am sure you already know]! I love the UK pavillion idea at Epcot as well.

Good Luck, and both of you have a great trip!

Upvote 0

kellydisney

Hi Scott,

You're hit upon my expertise... Disney weddings (well, wedding crap in general :lol: ) My fiance proposed in Disney and our wedding is also there next fall!

OK if you can't book the Illuminations cruise then there are a few places in the world showcase that have phenomenal views of the fireworks, but you are right in thinking that the UK pavilion has the best spot of all. You don't have to talk to anyone to get the spot, just get there a bit early to secure your area. It is called the UK Lower Island. In case you don't know, if you walk to the right of the fish n chips window there will be 2 paths. One leading to covered tables and chairs, and one going down to the waterfront. Go down to the waterfront. That is a gorgeous area to watch from.

Other areas: (though most are less private)
behind the cantina in Mexico
Italy Isola (island in front of Italy)
French Arm
French Terrace Upper & Lower (the little islands between France and UK)
In Japan, up on the large Japanese dining area they have a porch. Could be semi private as well.

Keep in mind that Illuminations has been around for some time (1999/2000) and could possibly be changed. Wishes, however, is new. I would also suggest if you get engaged during either of these shows, buy her the cd of the music. Specifically, Promise which is at the end of Illuminations (and is our wedding song) is just perfect for that type of occasion and will always remind both of you!!

Congrats and good luck!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Here are a few suggestions for your proposal at Epcot. First I don’t really see a “private” way to do it other that the cruise you suggested. If you met at the UK pavilion and you wanted to purpose there my suggestion would be to make an AR at the Rose and Crown around the time of Illuminations. You will need to make the AR for probably close to 1 hour before the show in order to get a table by the water. If you talk to the cast members at the restaurant I’m sure they would assist you in anyway that they can. There is one much more difficult but very memorable way to purpose at Epcot. The trick would be being selected to be the family that opens the park and do it then. There is no guaranteed way to be this special family but I have found a way that works pretty well. First you must get to the park very early. You will want to be one of the first guests at the turnstiles in the morning. As soon as you enter the park head straight for SE. You will notice a rope blocking your path into the rest of the park. Proceed to the center of the rope where you will see a few cast members congregating. Strike up a conversation with those cast members and there is a good chance they will pick you to be the family that opens the park. I have done this twice and it has worked both times. I would not just blatantly ask to be the family as I have seen people do this before and the answer has always been “Oh I am sorry we have already selected our family for the day.” If you are chosen you will be taken past the ropes you will be asked to pose for a picture in front of the crowd (providing that you have a camera). When you pose in front of the crowd drop to one knee and pop the question. If you can pull it off it will be a moment your wife will never forget.

Upvote 0

Gartdog

For some more privacy, you might try getting reservations at the California Grill in the Contemporary Resort hotel. It is on the top floor and has views of Bay Lake, the Seven Seas Lagoon and the Magic Kingdom. Make a reservation for a late dinner during the Magic Kingdom fireworks show. They dim the lights, play the music and you can see the show. Make your reservations as early as possible and let them know what is up so you can arrange for a seat by the window. Another spot for more privacy is the beach at the Polynesian resort. You can see the fireworks pretty well from there. If you are on the beach facing the Magic Kingdom, turn to your right and you'll see a hill with some palm trees that extends out towards the water. This is also a good spot. The problem with these spots is that you cannot hear the music. They may play to music out on the dock where you catch the boat to the Magic Kingdom, but I cannot remember. You can always call the Polynesian Resort and ask. Good luck. I hope I helped.

Upvote 0

krueg66

beach at the Poly...

I proposed to my wife on the beach at the Polynesian. We went to the Luau and then got a drink from the Pool Bar and sat on one of the hammocks. At about 7:59pm I pulled out the ring and asked her. As she said yes, as if on cue the fireworks started over Magic Kingdom...

i was pretty proud of myself for that one. Now everytime we go to Disney ( 5 MORE DAYS!) we always go to the Poly and have a drink and watch the fireworks.

Good luck in whatever you do!

Upvote 0

SpenceMan01

kellydisney said:
Specifically, Promise which is at the end of Illuminations (and is our wedding song) is just perfect for that type of occasion and will always remind both of you!!

HEY! You stole my idea! ;) I'm going to play it after she says yes and suggest it as the song for our first dance together at the reception. Best thing is: Nobody knows that it's from WDW except hardcore fans like ourselves, yet it's so fitting for an occasion such as this.

Upvote 0

dizknee

I am leaving for Disney on Saturday and will be proposing as well.

I have decided to do it on Peter Pan's flight. I will grab her hand and say "All you need is faith and trust ..... and a little bit of pixie dust" I will then sprinkle some glitter (not much because somebody will have to pick it up). And then I am going to ask her to fly away with me to a place where all our dreams come true and we never have to grow up.

It is private, quiet and original

Upvote 0

happytrees

I was going to make the following suggestion before I began to read this thread.

There was a television program on the Food Network where a guy proposed to his current bride at Victoria & Albert's. The waiter brought out the ring on a platter as a "course", and the guy popped the question.

stopgo said:
I've been giving this some more thought and the idea of proposing to her during a fireworks show is REALLY appealing as every time we Monica sees fireworks she'll be reminded of "that moment" (is this too cheezy?). We met several years ago in England so it might be fun to try and incorporate the UK pavillion into my plans.

Your idea for that moment is better though, IMO. It's always best to make the occasion unique and special and not pull something out of a playbook.

Way to go! :sohappy:
I only wish that I had a lady (preferebly mid-late 20s) to propose to. :cry: :p

Upvote 0

Crescent_Fresh

Congrats and Good Luck!

Hope all works well for you. I spent about 5 months planning how I proposed to my fiancee at the Polynesian durring the first Spirit of O'hana luau the day after Thanksgiving last year. All the staff was awesome and went out of thier way to make it even more magical than I dreamed it could be. We were asked to come up and dance and I was given the mic, spoke of my love of polynesian culture being a surfer and traveled so much, and they let me pop the question in front of the whole dinner theatre crowd. We were given a spotlight dance to ourselves afterwards and were incorporated into the show a few times afterward and when I was on my knee pulling outthe ring, oddly enough, the Wishes show started over at the Magic Kingdom. Everything was perfect.

Just call and have someone work with you. They made a lot of changes to policies etc. about certain things they do / used to help with (take it from me 5 ideas were shot down) but nevertheless It was something I will always remember- so much we are moving accross from Downtown Disney in 3 weeks and have plans to spend our first night as floridians at the polynesian remembering that awesome night. GOOD LUCK!!! :)

Upvote 0

Huck

You know, the thing is no matter what you decide to do, it will still be an amazingly personal and private moment, no matter how many people are around. What she will appreciate is the way you choose to propose, because it comes from your heart.

I can't give you that advice without telling you my story, right? Of course not.

I proposed in the transportation and ticket center, right on the sidewalk between where the the trams drop you off from the parking lot and where you buy your park tickets. Pretty romantic huh?

The significance, though, was not obvious to anyone else around. (In fact, the only person who even noticed us was a CM in the ticket booth who smiled at us) The reason we were there? On our first trip together to disney the previous year we fell deeper in love than we had already been. On that trip I had purchased a Walk Around the World brick with our names on it and had vowed to return to find it and propose to her on the spot. Alas, the spot could have been better located, but I didn't care where we were at that moment. Neither did she, if I understood the tears correctly.

That was 8 years ago, now, and we still stop by from time to time to visit "the brick". I can't wait to bring our kids to see it when they can read!

Anyway, my story is here only the illustrate my point (which is probably pretty obvious): It's not where you are or what you do, it's what got you there.

Best of luck!

Upvote 0

kellydisney

I completely agree with Huck.

Though I'm not a fan of the run of the mill proposal over dinner or under the Christmas tree... I am all for doing something that is special to both of you.

My fiance and I met on the College Program as I had mentioned. All of our first dates consisted of going to Disney for a few hours a night, lucky! One night we were hanging out on the steps on NY Street in MGM and we talked for a few hours during the Osbourne Spectacle of Lights around Christmas time. We both say that's the moment when we just "knew". Five years later, he brought me to the same exact spot (this was last year) and it was roped off because of the construction for the stunt show and now there were lights on it (Osbourne Spectacle changed a bit) so he was freaking out a little that it was roped off. He made me run over to take a picture on "our steps", got down on one knee really fast because CMs were going to yell at us any minute, and asked me! No one saw this but us that I knew of. It was amazing, original, and fitting to our story.

Choose something that fits your story. Anyone can propose on a plate over dinner. :brick:

Upvote 0

MeTa

Well I recently got engaged last october at the MK. What I did was secretly planned the trip concealing it to be a business trip with the added bonus of disney. Then invited her family and mine to secretly be there, it worked out nicely too because they were all at a BBQ the night before so no one had any clue. I didnt tell a soul. Then we walked around the park while our parents arrived. I met my father and hers in the bathroom near the ice cream shop on main street. Got the ring, wired up for sound, wirelessly. Then proceeded to the front of the castle to do the deed, after it was done her parents walked out as did mine and she was totally surprised. then the next big surprise was that there was no business to be done and we could spend the whole week in Disney.

Good luck, you picked the right place to do it no matter what park your in.

Upvote 0

stopgo

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice and stories, everyone. I really do appreciate it.

I've got some great ideas brewing and only 27 days to figure it all out!:D If anyone is gonna be in WDW from about 17 Oct - 24 Oct, just look for the stubby bald guy with the inexplicably gorgeous girlfriend... er... fiancee! We'll both be grinning Mouse-ear to Mouse-ear.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

MinnieGal

dizknee said:
I am leaving for Disney on Saturday and will be proposing as well.

I have decided to do it on Peter Pan's flight. I will grab her hand and say "All you need is faith and trust ..... and a little bit of pixie dust" I will then sprinkle some glitter (not much because somebody will have to pick it up). And then I am going to ask her to fly away with me to a place where all our dreams come true and we never have to grow up.

It is private, quiet and original

WOW!!!!That is beautiful...Your girlfriend is very lucky..good luck!!:)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom