News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A huge combination of the two. People are basically wimps that have never had to deal with hardships or inconveniences. This many pages on a transportation system is an exaggerated reaction to a small problem. People act like Disney has sent them a personal bill to pay for this and we want our money back, dammit. Everyone just needs to be an adult with perspective on what is a real problem and what isn't.
This is a hard thread to follow and a lot of info gets tossed around quickly. All I’m trying to determine is are the continued reported extended stoppages and downtimes exaggerated or has the system really been down that much. My question came from someone else claiming the thread is filled with extreme exaggerations. Just looking for the facts, I could give a rat’s behind what anyone else’s reaction to the system is. I have no horse in the race, just trying to determine if I should avoid the system altogether and stay elsewhere which is quite easy to do.

joelkfla

When Friendship service is halted because of weather, Disney set up temporary bus stops at both Hollywood Studios and Epcot for Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk/Swan/Dolphin. There were simple rope switchbacks with one umbrella at the head of the line. So, yes, we would get poured on while waiting for a bus.

Does anyone know with the Studios’ bus depot upgrade, are there extra stalls for busses??
Yes, there are specific load zones reserved for Friendship Boat replacement service.

Goofyernmost

This is a hard thread to follow and a lot of info gets tossed around quickly. All I’m trying to determine is are the continued reported extended stoppages and downtimes exaggerated or has the system really been down that much. My question came from someone else claiming the thread is filled with extreme exaggerations. Just looking for the facts, I could give a rat’s behind what anyone else’s reaction to the system is. I have no horse in the race, just trying to determine if I should avoid the system altogether and stay elsewhere which is quite easy to do.
It is indeed difficult to determine what is actually fact or what is overblown reaction. I remember threads of people complaining about how awful maintenance was because the dark rides kept stopping. When it was just assisting people with disabilities attempting to enjoy life like everyone else can. We do not see any, well I did once, reports on how it was seen running, but let it stop, even briefly, because someone burped. Then we get pages of how big a mistake this was and how people are getting screwed over because hotel rates are factored in due to the existence of the Gondola's.

As for myself, I think that the worst case scenario is that I might be slightly inconvenienced, but other then that no harm to my person will happen. If I stayed onsite, which I don't because even without a Gondola, the prices are close to criminal, I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Gondola resort. People that have a fear of heights or claustrophobia have a real concern, but, as you said that problem is solved by not staying at a Gondola serviced resort. Simple! Others that think that the world, either Disney or the real one, will be without problems, delays or inconveniences are to far into a dream world to take seriously anyway.

Disstevefan1

You should try the Skyliner for your self. What’s the worst that can happen? A stoppage just like getting stuck in traffic when there is a minor fender bender a mile ahead of you. Stoppages on the skyliner have happened and will happen at random. Of all the riders of the Skyliner, some are affected, some have never experienced a stoppage. It’s the luck of the draw.

The only thing I would recommend is not to use the Skyliner when you MUST get someplace on time like a dining reservation just in case.

matt9112

You should try the Skyliner for your self. What’s the worst that can happen? A stoppage just like getting stuck in traffic when there is a minor fender bender a mile ahead of you. Stoppages on the skyliner have happened and will happen at random. Of all the riders of the Skyliner, some are affected, some have never experienced a stoppage. It’s the luck of the draw.

The only thing I would recommend is not to use the Skyliner when you MUST get someplace on time like a dining reservation just in case.

Stoppages are fine...but 20 minutes here and there? Imho unacceptable.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Of all the riders of the Skyliner, some are affected, some have never experienced a stoppage. It’s the luck of the draw.
Well, that's a great slogan for the Skystopper: "Do you feel lucky, punk?"

lucky.jpg

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As for myself, I think that the worst case scenario is that I might be slightly inconvenienced, but other then that no harm to my person will happen. If I stayed onsite, which I don't because even without a Gondola, the prices are close to criminal, I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Gondola resort. People that have a fear of heights or claustrophobia have a real concern, but, as you said that problem is solved by not staying at a Gondola serviced resort. Simple! Others that think that the world, either Disney or the real one, will be without problems, delays or inconveniences are to far into a dream world to take seriously anyway.
Each person will probably have a different idea of what a slight inconvenience is. A momentary stop to let a guest with a wheelchair have some additional time is IMHO much different than a 20 min stop or the whole line being down for hours or days at a time. As long as they provide buses and adequate communication of the system status it’s probably not going to be a big deal for many people. However, if I’m paying those onsite prices I expect all of the resort’s amenities to work.

I’m sure I’ll ride the skyliner my next time at WDW just to check it out. I’m not afraid I’ll be trapped for hours or evacuated or anything like that. I’m planning to book an August trip in the next few weeks but based on reports so far and the lack of time to make improvements (before I book) I will probably just avoid the gondola resorts. I wouldn’t be broken up by having a 20 minute delay on one random trip one day but I wouldn’t want to stay somewhere at this point where that is the primary transport to/from half the parks. I avoided the monorail resorts during GF villa construction for the same reason. On vacation I don’t want to have to navigate around various transportation problems. I deal with that going to work everyday. I go on vacation to get away from real world problems :). I also know I’ll be back to WDW again and if/when they work out the kinks I may try one of the gondola resorts then.

Incomudro

Just like getting stuck in traffic, except I'm not in my leather lined, heated or air conditioned private automobile in a comfortable seat, with a stereo, and no one else with me, and even the ability to step out if traffic is really not going anywhere.
Otherwise, it's just like it!

Ravenclaw78

Just like getting stuck in traffic, except I'm not in my leather lined, heated or air conditioned private automobile in a comfortable seat, with a stereo, and no one else with me, and even the ability to step out if traffic is really not going anywhere.
Otherwise, it's just like it!
Oh, you mean like the private, leather-lined heated seats with nobody else around you in the Disney buses and monorails? :p

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Oh, you mean like the private, leather-lined heated seats with nobody else around you in the Disney buses and monorails? :p
All of the Disney buses I’ve been on had plastic seats (maybe cloth if you count magic express)...but the AC is usually cranking good, especially in the summer :)

The monorail is still in my opinion a very efficient transportation option. It may not be glamorous but it gets the job done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom