New gastropub to replace Captain's Grille at Disney's Yacht Club

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Probably for the best. When we ate there last is was barely a step up from a Chili's and the decor was just well, drab. Hopefully they find a way to still fit to the "theme".

*Q*

I like the look of that art, but I'll agree that the new counter service area is awful so that makes me a little dubious. I'm glad to see Captain's Grille get an update, I just ate there maybe two or three months ago and it was just totally whatever.

RyMickey

Ugh. I thought the Captain's Grille was one of the more underrated restaurants in WDW and unfortunately we had just discovered it three or four trips ago. It was a step down price-wise from the top-of-the-line restaurants, but it was still a place to get a nice pork chop or seafood dish. Plus, you could always get a reservation -- which I realize is probably the reason for the change.

Between this change and the breakfast change at Trattoria al Forno at the Boardwalk, these are two (potentially, in the case of Captain's Grille) disappointing changes for us in the area.

Granted, we don't know the menu for this new restaurant (and it will presumably stay on the cheaper side of things), but the "gastropub" notion maybe indicates a slightly lesser quality meal. I do agree that aesthetically, the Captain's Grille was bland, but initially I'm a little disappointed. Time will tell, I guess, and it's probably a little too early to be concerned...

yeti

How so?
I see this as replacing a boring and underperforming restaurant with a better one.

Recent restaurant additions (Geyser Point, Market Ale and Compass) along with the concept art lead me to believe it'll be charmless, unthemed, and weirdly reminiscent of an airport bar and grill. I know they are well-intentioned and that the place could use a fixer upper, but these renovations are generic beyond belief. I feel like the recent initiative to update the resorts loses sight of what makes them friendly and unique. We'll see I guess.

Bairstow

Recent restaurant additions (Geyser Point, Market Ale and Compass) along with the concept art lead me to believe it'll be charmless, unthemed, and weirdly reminiscent of an airport bar and grill. I know they are well-intentioned and that the place could use a fixer upper, but these renovations are generic beyond belief. I feel like the recent initiative to update the resorts loses sight of what makes them friendly and unique. We'll see I guess.

Geyser point is fine, but hopefully the Market is an abbaration.
Concept art for this doesn't show that much, but it's at least no worse than the way the place looks now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom