New Future World Pavilion

McArcDes

In my opinion Epcots problems do not lie in the attractions. The problem is that every thing has no relation to human scale. Everything is so huge and towers above you, the seperate pavillions seem worlds apart and then swollow you up when you enter them.

World Showcase is better on the human scale front but as you walk by each land you are doing just that, walking by. Unlike the Magic Kingdom you do not walk through the highly themed areas and there is only what is on the prominade to "pull you in".

If they do add an new future world attraction I would hope they keep these things in mind rather thatn build another test track where you walk up a crooked path to find a "side door" to get into the ride. For all the money and time they spent on that ride you think they could of done a better job on the queue.

Just my view of things..

Luau Cove

I think there are many ideas, but the truth is that after Mission:Space, which was a long journey of planning and construction, that'll be it for now at Epcot. Imagineers need to start focusing at the MAGIC KINGDOM. It's fair and logical. Rock N Roller came for MGM, Epcot is getting SPACE and Animal Kingdom will include Beastly Kingdom, so it's time for MK to have a new big, attractive and popular new ride.

-->LUAU

arstogas

The future of FUTURE WORLD is exactly that: the future.

From the moment they announced the theme park to be built in 1978, (I was 14 then) I was incredibly excited, and there when it opened.... No other ANYTHING was like EPCOT Center. It HAS dated, sure... but if you had a chance to visit it in the first 8 years, there was such a sense of discovery, of anticipation, of excitement...! ESPECIALLY when LIVING SEAS opened in 1986... it was PHENOMENAL.

Their approach was bold and optimistic. What's lacking now is that same vision, to really think beyond the idea and IN SPITE Of the fact that eventually the future catches up with the present. Someone said that WDI is "Wisely" avoiding an attempt to predict the future? That's what WALT did! And he did it more than once, and he STILL knew the risks... but he did it anyway? WHY? Because it's part of being human, of prognosticating.

NOT predicting the future, turning Epcot into some kind of "testing world" is gutless, it's cowardly. It means yielding to budgets and small thinking. At some point, some visionary along the lines of a Steve Jobs will have the bravado to dream again, and give us a REAL, fresh vision of a future, way beyond the scope of what we see around us now. It will happen, and that's when EPCOT will again be the premiere showcase for dreams. I don't know about anybody else, but to me, TEST TRACK is a very shallow attraction, with extremely advanced hardware, sure, but still very shallow in scope and in vision. To me it represents about 15 percent of what Disney could have accomplished, and I really hope there is more to MISSION SPACE than just a sim-thrill ride that makes you float out of your chair. That will be a terrible, terrible use of 120 million dollars. You should use that money to show people something utterly amazing, and for more than 3 and 1/2 minutes.

durhay

Why is everybody talking about Horizons being outdated because everything it features is no longer futuristic? I don't recall seeing any underwater cities or communities in space recently. Who on this board has their own minisub?

TestTrackTom

i think that when mission space is finished they should add on to make a space pavilion....like have some small exhibits like "the history of space" or something of that nature.

the weather pavilion in between the seas and land sounds neat also. maybe a ride where you are a tornado chaser and its a motion simulator with wind in your face and 3d efects like cows flying at you...i guess like spiderman at ioa:p

Luau Cove

Originally posted by durhay
Why is everybody talking about Horizons being outdated because everything it features is no longer futuristic? I don't recall seeing any underwater cities or communities in space recently. Who on this board has their own minisub?

The truth is Horizons was becoming not a Futureworld attraction, but a Tomorrowland type of attraction, since it was a view to the future...but nowadays it's a view to the future from the past as Tomorrowland's rides. So, yes, maybe we don't have little spaceships or underwater cities, but some others came like someone talking in conference and watching the other one via camera or sophisticated machines resemble some of our contemporaneous tools.
I think nowadays a new version of the future could be created, including more technology and more perspectives.

-->LUAU

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom