New flyover animations on My Disney Experience

NowInc

And again I ask, why oh why were the 3D models removed from Google Earth??? The models in these flyovers look more detailed and advanced than what used to be on Google Earth, but I bet there's a way to get them into Google Earth (even if they're less detailed after the transition). At very least put back the old 3D models.

I'd love to be able to virtually visit WDW and DL. Like the flyovers, but *I* get to drive and even walk right down the middle of Main Street U.S.A. I used to enjoy that with Google Earth, but no more.

In short: I like the flyovers...I just wish I was driving.

3D models of this high quality would not run in real time through google earth. The ones used for that were done in Google Sketchup, which is great for low-poly...streamable..3d models. They were also done by Disney themselves, and I assume that they decided to pull them off maps for whatever reason.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

I kind of liked them. Well done, allows a different perspective of resort layouts. For new guests who have never been, it will give a place to start when thinking about where they might want to stay. At least spark enough interest so they will do more investigating, following up on amenities, room views etc. Anything that gets the guest thinking about possibilities is good for Disney.

Smiddimizer

Jim-Halpert-Sarcastic-Fist-Pump.gif

Rob562

Are we really at the point where 3D modeling is cheaper than flying a plane and camera around? LOL I think it's a neat idea, I just find it funny they went graphics rather than actual photos. (Given that they exist and are not previews or sneak peeks for example.)

Using CGI also allows them to hide the backstage areas that they don't want Guests to see. For example, look at the field of grass and trees where the parking lot behind Main Street East actually is. If they were to do a real flyover and wanted to hide those areas, it'd be even MORE money to create photo-realistic CGI to cover them.

-Rob

lazyboy97o

3D models of this high quality would not run in real time through google earth. The ones used for that were done in Google Sketchup, which is great for low-poly...streamable..3d models. They were also done by Disney themselves, and I assume that they decided to pull them off maps for whatever reason.
I thought Google was behind those 3D models as they did them for other places too, a means of promoting Google Earth and SketchUp. With the sale of SketchUp to Tremble it doesn't make sense for Google to promote SketchUp.

PhotoDave219

NowInc

I thought Google was behind those 3D models as they did them for other places too, a means of promoting Google Earth and SketchUp. With the sale of SketchUp to Tremble it doesn't make sense for Google to promote SketchUp.

Most of the 3D stuff on maps are user submitted files that are done in sketchup, which is why sometimes you see multiple different "options" for the 3D buildings on the map. Yes, SOME are done by google, but its smart on their part to let others contribute.

habuma

Understood. I didn't mean that they'd use the *exact* same 3D models. But 3D models are essentially just collections of polygons. Once you have that kind of data, scaling down to a lower-quality model wouldn't be that hard. I'm unsure what the KMZ file format looks like, but I would imagine converting high-quality models to lower-quality models that can be used on Google Earth is at least possible.

That said, they already had the 3D models on Google Earth and then removed them for whatever reason. Some were out of date, sure. But the vast majority of those models were current enough. Add/edit models for what has changed and suddenly you have a marketing tool to get people excited about Disney World.

I don't even expect Disney to manage these things. There's people investing lots of time to recreate WDW in Minecraft....just wishing there were those with the skills to do the same thing in a slightly higher quality walkthru. (The Minecraft stuff is cool and all...but not what I'm looking for.)

I am tempted to learn those skills and do it myself. But it's a large effort for just one guy. And I'm sure there are others who already have those skills who could move quicker.

habuma

That said, they already had the 3D models on Google Earth and then removed them for whatever reason. Some were out of date, sure. But the vast majority of those models were current enough. Add/edit models for what has changed and suddenly you have a marketing tool to get people excited about Disney World.

For what it's worth, Spaceship Earth, Fountain of Nations, and part of Innoventions East are back in Google Earth. And, from what I can tell, they're the models that Disney created. The sign for Captain EO is also there, but it's not a Disney-created object. Also, the Swan and Dolphin models are both still there...they never left.

NowInc

Understood. I didn't mean that they'd use the *exact* same 3D models. But 3D models are essentially just collections of polygons. Once you have that kind of data, scaling down to a lower-quality model wouldn't be that hard. I'm unsure what the KMZ file format looks like, but I would imagine converting high-quality models to lower-quality models that can be used on Google Earth is at least possible.

I don't even expect Disney to manage these things. There's people investing lots of time to recreate WDW in Minecraft....just wishing there were those with the skills to do the same thing in a slightly higher quality walkthru. (The Minecraft stuff is cool and all...but not what I'm looking for.)

I am tempted to learn those skills and do it myself. But it's a large effort for just one guy. And I'm sure there are others who already have those skills who could move quicker.

The downconversion is actually harder than just a few button presses. All polygons are not treated equally (thus why there are people specifically focused in game graphics as opposed to just CG). Not trying to sound argumentative, far from it. Its just its my industry (CG Animator), so I try to keep clear as to what is and what isn't possible.

As for user created content: Disney are kinda uptight about who can create assets based on their designs. Stupid, yes, but I can give you a long list of C and D's that they have dished out in the last decade that would make most people just say "why?"

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
these are really cute but i feel like it would have been easier and more affective to have filmed it with a helicopter so you can actually see it for what it is

The thing is they really don't want you to see if for how it is.. From the air you can see castmember only areas, dumpsters, service trucks, smoking castmembers. It breaks the illusion of that perfect world.

Tom Morrow

I like this, for too long they have marketed WDW as just "run up and hug waiting characters all day", I like that there is a strong focus on promoting the other activities found at WDW besides the theme parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom