New Enhancements, Dining Options Coming to Disney’s BoardWalk

Sir_Cliff

Kind of surprised so many people are so annoyed by this and proposing all these solutions that involve work-arounds that would place CMs outside of the continuous desk rather than just making it easier for CMs to come out from behind their desk.

To be honest, @TDLFan did provide some strong reasons why people working at a hotel front desk may want to keep that barrier. As a guest, though, it makes no difference to me, so I would defer to whatever WDW hotel CMs find more convenient.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Exterior painting today at the BoardWalk Resort.

IMG_3425.jpeg
IMG_3430.jpeg
IMG_3431.jpeg
IMG_3432.jpeg

Bocabear

no restaurant refurbishment and rebuild should take a year to do... Who even cares about the Cake Bake shop at this point?
Rather than add a restaurant that would serve the area reasonably priced fare, and late night dining for weary park goers, we are getting an overpriced jewelbox restaurant that would seem more suited to the Grand Floridian... Wrong placement again, and it is not adding needed dining capacity in the way it is needed at the Boardwalk. Aside from Tubbi's at the Dolphin there are no late night food options in this hub of 5 different hotels...

Big T 1963

no restaurant refurbishment and rebuild should take a year to do... Who even cares about the Cake Bake shop at this point?
Rather than add a restaurant that would serve the area reasonably priced fare, and late night dining for weary park goers, we are getting an overpriced jewelbox restaurant that would seem more suited to the Grand Floridian... Wrong placement again, and it is not adding needed dining capacity in the way it is needed at the Boardwalk. Aside from Tubbi's at the Dolphin there are no late night food options in this hub of 5 different hotels...
Couldn't agree with you more Bocabear... Who is looking towards this type of food option??? And how many bake shops do we need on Disney property? Like to see how long this place last... I betting maybe a few years at best Anyone agree??

TDLFan

There's a bit of a misconception with the Cake Bake shop. It's two establishments in one. The bake shop is on the right with a seperate entrance ( the old ESPN entrance) for grab and go, the full service restaurant is on the left serving full breakfast, brunch, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner service, with it's entrance going directly under the main tower portion. They're known for cakes and pastries but it will have a varied and expanded savory menu that will change seasonally. To add, she has very high standards in regards to food, atmosphere, and service, so this could turn out to be one of the better WDW dining experiences.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

I agree. It would have made more sense to do more casual locations, like you would typically see along coastlines. Fish and chips shop, steak and garlic shrimp Hawaiian style, Poke bowls, etc. This fancy, way overpriced cafe is so out of place here. I am a baker and love a good cafe and bakery, but those prices at their original locations are insulting. I can't imagine what the Disney upcharge will be.

Momatude

I won't argue, the prices are outrageous. I've only had dinner there once and thought, 'This quiche better be good, cause dang, the price!' I bit into my quiche and thought I'd died and gone to quiche heaven. Not a heavy egg dish like expected. It was so light and fluffy it melted in my mouth. And the pastries are better than anything anywhere else. High prices yes, but worth every penny.

jaklgreen

I won't argue, the prices are outrageous. I've only had dinner there once and thought, 'This quiche better be good, cause dang, the price!' I bit into my quiche and thought I'd died and gone to quiche heaven. Not a heavy egg dish like expected. It was so light and fluffy it melted in my mouth. And the pastries are better than anything anywhere else. High prices yes, but worth every penny.
For me, I don't care how good the cake is, $16 for a regular sized slice of cake is insulting. And $6 for a SCOOP of vanilla ice cream is equally outrageous. I bet the owner is laughing all the way to the bank with those prices. Cake is one of the easiest things to make from scratch and cost very little.

James Alucobond

For me, I don't care how good the cake is, $16 for a regular sized slice of cake is insulting. And $6 for a SCOOP of vanilla ice cream is equally outrageous. I bet the owner is laughing all the way to the bank with those prices. Cake is one of the easiest things to make from scratch and cost very little.
Their cake slices are not regular sized and would definitely serve two. As for ice cream, most ice cream shops I go to are in the $5-6 dollar range for a scoop. A Dole Whip is already $5 for a bit of vanilla soft serve.

Disone

Their cake slices are not regular sized and would definitely serve two. As for ice cream, most ice cream shops I go to are in the $5-6 dollar range for a scoop. A Dole Whip is already $5 for a bit of vanilla soft serve.
Please stop. People want to be outraged. Let them be!!! 🤪

jaklgreen

I mean, by all means be outraged by the rising price of food, but it's not something particular to WDW or this specific restaurant. Many places where I could eat for under $10 less than three years ago are now $13-$15.
That is my point, you can get a meal for the price that this place sells a slice of cake for. If people are willing to pay that, more power to the company. I am just astounded that people are willing to pay that for something that is so basic. It is like paying $30 for a McDonald's cheeseburger.

Ripken10

As for ice cream, most ice cream shops I go to are in the $5-6 dollar range for a scoop.
I am currently in one of the top tourist areas in the country. Last night we went to an ice cream shop that has been consistently voted the top businesses in the area. It was $5 for 3 scoops of ice cream. Is is not normal for one scoop to cost $5, not even in tourist areas.

James Alucobond

That is my point, you can get a meal for the price that this place sells a slice of cake for. If people are willing to pay that, more power to the company. I am just astounded that people are willing to pay that for something that is so basic. It is like paying $30 for a McDonald's cheeseburger.
Their standard cakes are over 7" tall. Their 8" rounds are recommended for serving 22 people, and their 12" rounds are recommended for up to 56. The slices you get in the shop are more than sizeable enough to share, with three full uncut 2" layers. It is expensive, but a comparison to a McDonald's cheeseburger is also not warranted, neither in quantity nor quality. Compare it to Les Halles, where one large macaron is $7.50 and a small tart is $7.00.
I am currently in one of the top tourist areas in the country. Last night we went to an ice cream shop that has been consistently voted the top businesses in the area. It was $5 for 3 scoops of ice cream. Is is not normal for one scoop to cost $5, not even in tourist areas.
I've no idea where this was, but it is not the case in my area at any local ice cream shop. The most widely applicable pseudo-local example I can think of is perhaps Jeni's, which was $5 for a single scoop (cone or cup) last I checked. Might be more now as I haven't been to one in a while since there are none nearby.

Some confusion may also stem from how a scoop is defined in different locations; Jeni's, for example, sells in both half and single scoops, with single scoops being quite substantial. This is my experience locally as well, where a child's size is a half scoop, and when put into a cone, a single scoop is often a "double half scoop", which looks like two scoops atop one another.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom