New DVC Resort in planning to be built on old STOL location

goofntink

Original Poster
Got some info today from our construction contacts, that a new DVC resort is in the final planning stages, to be built on the old STOL site. I asked them if River Country would be affected by addition, as in demo'd due to it's proximity to site, and the reply was "It is included in the planning for use for the resort complex, but not finalized on whether it will stay and be refurbed or demo'd."

goofntink

Original Poster
Short Take Off and Landing. It is the 2000 ft landing strip designated as 12/30, on the Disney property on the east side of the main car parking lot at the Magic Kingdom. To BL, think what you want, but my question is this, do you work at disney or do you do work for disney? My answer is, I do, I also knew about Monsters Inc, before it was announced, and you can check the boards. Planning means it may happen , and it may not, notice i didn't say it was being done. Also for your info, up until the 1st weeks of February,it was being used for staging the sea containers, and bus parking. We had to have ours moved. and the buses are no longer there.If you were to go there today, Heavy equipment is parked there, and has been for more than a month!

hokielutz

shopgirl said:
Ok-- I am still learning abbreviations-- what is STOL?

Its the executive airport for Disney suits that is no longer in operation or recognized as a useable air-strip. It runs parallel to World Drive.

DisneyJill

goofntink said:
Short Take Off and Landing. It is the 2000 ft landing strip designated as 12/30, on the Disney property on the east side of the main car parking lot at the Magic Kingdom

I don't see the relation to River Country from where STOL sits. Maybe if I saw one of those arial shots, but it doesn't seem close enough to me...doesn't the WL sit between those two things?? :veryconfu

Lee

Adventurer
My thoughts exactly.
The STOL and River Country are WAY too far apart to have any connection. Wilderness Lodge and Ft. Wilderness are kind of in the way.

River Country is not really close to STOL. Im pretty sure that the Wilderness Lodge sits directly between the two. I just can't see a new vacation club being built in that area. My humble opinion though.

shopgirl

Ok-- so they are going to build this DVC resort-- will it be on the monorail or will it be like WL and only have boat transportation to MK?

gibsonc

UK Disney Geek
I agree - too far!

Attachments

• stol.jpg
    stol.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 118

shopgirl

see this is where I get a little flakey-- I thought they closed River Country because of dirt or something-- I don't remember-- and it seems rather far away from the STOL thing, so what would one have to do with the other!

WDWFanatic

I think there was a florida parasite going around in fresh water wasnt there? There is no way they would connect these two sites for one resort. But is it a nice piece of land for something.

shopgirl

It seems so odd to me that they would leave that property just sitting there-- we were there not too long ago and discovery island is pretty icky looking and we are going there is about 3 weeks-- I can't imagine that disney would just let river country sit there and not do something with it.

Captain Chaos

I won't doubt you.. But I want more information...

Why is Disney starting to move backstage area of the parks to remote areas on grounds? What is planned over by the new entrance road?? What kind of theme is being considered for this new DVC? Also, why would you risk your job by coming on here and posting a planned resort, one that isn't even green lit... Something that is obviously to be secret and discussed only in meetings and not here online????

Blue-Lightning

Account Suspended
To BL, think what you want, but my question is this, do you work at disney or do you do work for disney? My answer is, I do, I also knew about Monsters Inc, before it was announced, and you can check the boards. Planning means it may happen , and it may not, notice i didn't say it was being done. Also for your info, up until the 1st weeks of February,it was being used for staging the sea containers, and bus parking. We had to have ours moved. and the buses are no longer there.If you were to go there today, Heavy equipment is parked there, and has been for more than a month!

Yes, I did work for Disney for quite some time. Currently I do not.

I don't believe you for the same reasons many people have stated. If there's going to be a resort that will be built on that property and will stretch over to River Country, you'd better be talking about a MASSIVE resort. I'm talking it will quadruple the size of the Grand Flordian.

BL

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Whilst I doubt a resort of any kind would be built on the STOLport (who wants a view of the MK Autoplaza?) I do recall a few things from recent weeks;

the runway being metioned as being used for construction storage for a new resort - it was originally linked to a DVC development at the Contemporary. Right idea, wrong resort?

Someone talking about survey tracks going into the area off Vista Blvd.

Seeing a plan with Vista Blvd. being re-routed further south than it`s present location (i.e. away from this development area) - the more I look, the more it makes sense of using that nice empty cove on Bay Lake as frontage.

Things don`t quite add up. Yet...

Whatever happens, River Country is out of the equation, unless this is one huge development from Bay Lake thru West Wilderness Way to the STOLport area.

Funnily enough, this area was designated as a resort on the 90`s masterplan - and to include a canal and lake fed from Bay Lake. And it does include the STOLport location (which was intended to have the Vista remodeling driven through it)

Stranger things have happened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom