New Disney series 'Behind the Attraction' will go behind-the-curtain at some of Disney's most famous attractions

doctornick

So, I finally was able to watch all of the episodes.. My thoughts...

1. I prefer the more serious tone from Imagineering Story but thought the presentation was okay. On the flip side, my kids have enjoyed this series a lot more due to the jokes. My gut tells me this was better for non hardcore parks fans and would generate some new interest in the parks among non fanboys

2. I was a little disappointed by what felt like a very DL centric vibe to the series. Understandable with something like Jungle Cruise or even Haunted Mansion (though since they build duplicates of characters and scenes for MK at the same time, they could have played up that it was meant for both parks). I felt like Space Mtn, for example, didn't play up the uniqueness of the original MK version as much as it could - I don't think they ever discussed that they are called "Alpha" or "Omega" or the difference between the two.

3. I didn't like how the episodes progressed into related attractions in the same episodes. Why talk about Galaxy's Edge in the Star Tours episode? That could have easily been a whole different episode later. At that point, why not call it "Star Wars attractions" for the episode?

4. I did like though that the went into some cool behind the scenes details, most of which are common knowledge among park fans but would probably be really cool to people who are unaware ("how do they do that?").

5. Can they seriously stop using the Walt quote about Disneyland never being finished? My god, it's ridiculous how much they used it.

I overall liked it though and look forward to the remaining episodes this year. And I hope/expect a season 2 next year and maybe more park stuff in the future.

The Haunted Mansion episode I thought was particularly good. And I do like how they discussed some of the differences among the different parks around the world for the attractions.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

3. I didn't like how the episodes progressed into related attractions in the same episodes. Why talk about Galaxy's Edge in the Star Tours episode? That could have easily been a whole different episode later. At that point, why not call it "Star Wars attractions" for the episode?

The series was likely green-lit because they knew it would also be a kind of commercial for the parks and the Jungle Cruise movie.

Disney can't resist the urge to sell, sell, sell.

doctornick

The series was likely green-lit because they knew it would also be a kind of commercial for the parks and the Jungle Cruise movie.

Disney can't resist the urge to sell, sell, sell.

Absolutely, but it's still good content for Disney+ for subscribers. And I like seeing the actual Imagineers be featured and get some publicity and credit for their work. Something can "work" on multiple levels including being informative and entertaining while also work as advertising.

Princess Leia

Episodes 6-10 will be released August 25.
Okay, happy my original plan is going to work for this! I’m trying to pace myself and only watch one episode a week, which will take me to the last week of September (I think). I’m going to Disneyland for the first time on October 4th, so this is my way of doing a themed countdown.

Kirby86

The first 5 episodes were well made and I didn't regret watching them. My one complaint is Paget Brewster as the Narrator, her Jokes fell flat and the fake interrupting the Imagineers got old real quick. When she was just saying who was who on whatever attraction she was an okay Narrator.

Animaniac93-98

I've now watched all 5 of the new episodes, and I'd say, on average, they're better than the first 5. More interesting and less marketing.

Shockingly, not once in the Small World episode do they ever mention the addition of characters in the late 2000s.

In the Disneyland Hotel episode, they talk about the importance of Aulani's story not being about characters (can someone send that clip to Chapek?!).

brb1006

I've now watched all 5 of the new episodes, and I'd say, on average, they're better than the first 5. More interesting and less marketing.

Shockingly, not once in the Small World episode do they ever mention the addition of characters in the late 2000s.

In the Disneyland Hotel episode, they talk about the importance of Aulani's story not being about characters (can someone send that clip to Chapek?!).
Have to admit, I got surprisingly emotional when the female cast member at Disneyland Paris sung the French version of It's A Small World. That lady has a beautiful voice.

Sir_Cliff

After having struggled a little with the tone of the first 5, I watched the castles one last night and actually quite enjoyed it. Seemed like they had toned down the initial jokiness and I am also happy to see them move on from major attractions to topics like the castles, Disneyland Hotel, etc. Getting a little more into fan service, I guess!

If I were advising someone to watch this series, I would probably suggest they don't start with the first episode on The Jungle Cruise as I did. Maybe I've just become numb, but I think that's the one where the attempted humour of the narration grates the most if it's not your thing.

doctornick

I do wish the episodes were a little less Disneyland focused. There’s a bunch of times they could generalize commentary to all or multiple Disney parks but specifically say Disneyland this or that

doctornick

I haven't seen this mentioned, but there are plans for a second season of Behind the Attraction.

Anyone want to take a guess on what would be featured? Pirates of the Caribbean and Big Thunder Mountain seem like givens.

Some thoughts...
Spaceship Earth
Tiki Birds
Indiana Jones Adventure; maybe talking about Dinosaur as well
A broad one on Fireworks. Or Parades. Or nighttime entertainment (e.g. Fantasmic, World of Color, Illuminations, etc)
Flight of Passage or Pandora in general
RSR or Cars Land in general
Buzz Lightyear and/or Toy Story Mania

tanc

they should just end it. I hate how it's not nearly as well made as the imagineering story. I guess Splash would be awesome to see, but will never happen. I find it a fascinating ride due to having to essentially build something from the middle and out.

A video about all the Country Pavilions in Epcot would be really cool.

Everest too

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom