New direct from Disney DVC prices to exceed $200 per point

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
I saw on DVCNews.com that DVC is going to raise prices for direct purchases of current DVC resorts on January 17, 2018. With these rumored price increases several resorts will be priced above $200 per point. Only Vero Beach has had a price decrease with Grand Californian going up $50:greedy::greedy::greedy: Here’s the list:

Resort Current Price Price Effective 1/17/18
Aulani, Disney Vacation Club Villas $176 $182
Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort $185 $191
Boulder Ridge Villas (VWL) $165 $171
Copper Creek Villas & Cabins $176 $182
Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas $165 $171
Disney's Beach Club Villas $165 $185
Disney's BoardWalk Villas $165 $171
Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort $115 $121
Disney's Old Key West Resort $145 $151
Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows $176 $220
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa $145 $151
Disney's Vero Beach Resort $115 $100
Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel $185 $235
Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa $185 $220

While the price increases overall are not huge, breaking the psychological barrier of $200+ seems significant. I also wonder where the new construction resorts will be priced. How high is too high? This should in theory drive up resale prices again as the resale prices become an even better value. What does everyone else think of this?

http://dvcnews.com/index.php?option...es-coming-for-many-resorts&catid=32:financial

correcaminos

I saw on DVCNews.com that DVC is going to raise prices for direct purchases of current DVC resorts on January 17, 2018. With these rumored price increases several resorts will be priced above $200 per point. Only Vero Beach has had a price decrease with Grand Californian going up $50:greedy::greedy::greedy: Here’s the list:

Resort Current Price Price Effective 1/17/18
Aulani, Disney Vacation Club Villas $176 $182
Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort $185 $191
Boulder Ridge Villas (VWL) $165 $171
Copper Creek Villas & Cabins $176 $182
Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas $165 $171
Disney's Beach Club Villas $165 $185
Disney's BoardWalk Villas $165 $171
Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort $115 $121
Disney's Old Key West Resort $145 $151
Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows $176 $220
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa $145 $151
Disney's Vero Beach Resort $115 $100
Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel $185 $235
Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa $185 $220

While the price increases overall are not huge, breaking the psychological barrier of $200+ seems significant. I also wonder where the new construction resorts will be priced. How high is too high? This should in theory drive up resale prices again as the resale prices become an even better value. What does everyone else think of this?

http://dvcnews.com/index.php?option...es-coming-for-many-resorts&catid=32:financial
I was reading about this earlier and I know for some this really caused them to add on sooner than later. I happen to think the $44 and $50 jump is actually quite massive. It's usually $5-10 or so, not that much. Most of the changes aren't bad but some are pretty darn high.

It'll be interesting to see what resales do as well as see how high Riviera goes for. I would imagine more in line with CCVC will be selling at the time.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
I was reading about this earlier and I know for some this really caused them to add on sooner than later. I happen to think the $44 and $50 jump is actually quite massive. It's usually $5-10 or so, not that much. Most of the changes aren't bad but some are pretty darn high.

It'll be interesting to see what resales do as well as see how high Riviera goes for. I would imagine more in line with CCVC will be selling at the time.
Agreed. Beach Club, Poly and GF are the big movers at WDW with Grand CA at DLR. BLT is now the cheapest of the monorail resorts. The $191 for BLT is still more than double what I paid for my points which is pretty incredible to see. I still think when Riviera goes on sale they will price it below $200 a point to keep the advertised minimum buy in around or under $30K. It depends how hot the market stays and how much anticipation SW Land brings. Having direct transport to DHS will be a huge selling feature for sure. They could go for a $200 starting price with some incentives if the demand is high enough.

I have to assume resale is only helped. The higher direct prices go the higher the resale prices should go. The only negative for resale could be if they attempt to further water down resale buyer benefits to make the higher direct prices more palatable.

glvsav37

Agreed. Beach Club, Poly and GF are the big movers at WDW with Grand CA at DLR. BLT is now the cheapest of the monorail resorts. The $191 for BLT is still more than double what I paid for my points which is pretty incredible to see. I still think when Riviera goes on sale they will price it below $200 a point to keep the advertised minimum buy in around or under $30K. It depends how hot the market stays and how much anticipation SW Land brings. Having direct transport to DHS will be a huge selling feature for sure. They could go for a $200 starting price with some incentives if the demand is high enough.

I have to assume resale is only helped. The higher direct prices go the higher the resale prices should go. The only negative for resale could be if they attempt to further water down resale buyer benefits to make the higher direct prices more palatable.

how much further can they water them down? Maybe knock their window down to 2-3 months out? IDK, but there is little left to water down. Especially anything that would make a resale budget stretch to afford $200/pp

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
how much further can they water them down? Maybe knock their window down to 2-3 months out? IDK, but there is little left to water down. Especially anything that would make a resale budget stretch to afford $200/pp
Good point. They can’t remove the discounts and member extras since they are already eliminated. You are probably right that the only thing they could change would be the reservation windows or eliminate the ability to trade into another DVC resort but I’m not even sure if that’s legal under timeshare laws.

nickys

Premium Member
I guess they could offer extra perks to direct buyers, that might sway a few people. Extra FPs, more in the way of member nights in the parks, SW:GE previews (that alone could boost direct sales).

But Imo it's in their interest to keep the resale market buoyant. It's one of the unique things about DVC, no other timeshare keeps it's value as DVC does, and that's a good thing.

correcaminos

I guess they could offer extra perks to direct buyers, that might sway a few people. Extra FPs, more in the way of member nights in the parks, SW:GE previews (that alone could boost direct sales).

But Imo it's in their interest to keep the resale market buoyant. It's one of the unique things about DVC, no other timeshare keeps it's value as DVC does, and that's a good thing.
I could see them doing this more than 'watering down' of current perks. They have already upped the number of Moonlight Magic events (missing two by one day each darn it). They did a great job with the Pandora Preview from what many said so that kind of thing could get perks. Better dining to be more in line with AP discounts. That kind of thing.

The direct prices likely will keep the resale high. Of course if someone tries to sell too low Disney will just buy back and resell for a second (although smaller) profit.

nickys

Premium Member
I could see them doing this more than 'watering down' of current perks. They have already upped the number of Moonlight Magic events (missing two by one day each darn it). They did a great job with the Pandora Preview from what many said so that kind of thing could get perks. Better dining to be more in line with AP discounts. That kind of thing.

The direct prices likely will keep the resale high. Of course if someone tries to sell too low Disney will just buy back and resell for a second (although smaller) profit.

I agree. The Pandora previews were really popular, even though they were only available at first at least to those with onsite bookings. Although the DVC ones were just one a day, I think it was much easier to book than the ones for AP holders, especially since members could just book a one night stay in order to get to a preview.

Imagine the demand for Star Wars ;). Doing the previews rather than soft openings can really rewards target groups. And plenty of people would book a one or two night stay in order to get into a preview.

And I think I'm right in saying they were under the "membership perks", so not available for the "post 2016 resale only" members.

correcaminos

I agree. The Pandora previews were really popular, even though they were only available at first at least to those with onsite bookings. Although the DVC ones were just one a day, I think it was much easier to book than the ones for AP holders, especially since members could just book a one night stay in order to get to a preview.

Imagine the demand for Star Wars ;). Doing the previews rather than soft openings can really rewards target groups. And plenty of people would book a one or two night stay in order to get into a preview.

And I think I'm right in saying they were under the "membership perks", so not available for the "post 2016 resale only" members.
I don't want to think about Star Wars yet LOL I know we'll avoid the opening year at least but not sure when we'll go in 2020 (we'll miss it for sure in 2019 since we don't travel to FL in the fall). It should be interesting to see what happens though.

I believe you were right about the membership level required, but not totally sure. We wound up going the weekend after it opened so I kind of ignored the preview.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
I don't want to think about Star Wars yet LOL I know we'll avoid the opening year at least but not sure when we'll go in 2020 (we'll miss it for sure in 2019 since we don't travel to FL in the fall). It should be interesting to see what happens though.

I believe you were right about the membership level required, but not totally sure. We wound up going the weekend after it opened so I kind of ignored the preview.
I am planning on skipping 2019 as well. Planning a longer trip in 2020 with plenty of time to spend in SW Land.

As a DVC owner who is not local and doesn’t visit multiple times a year I wish they had more perks like the member lounge at EPCOT which is always there vs the one night events. I always seem to miss them. Offering some sort of permananet or semi-permanent perk related to SW could go a long way towards making people happy.

correcaminos

I am planning on skipping 2019 as well. Planning a longer trip in 2020 with plenty of time to spend in SW Land.

As a DVC owner who is not local and doesn’t visit multiple times a year I wish they had more perks like the member lounge at EPCOT which is always there vs the one night events. I always seem to miss them. Offering some sort of permananet or semi-permanent perk related to SW could go a long way towards making people happy.
I admit I'm not planning on skipping 2019, but we know we will go in the spring or summer (we have family close by so we do 2 in 1 a lot of times) and will miss it. Not sure what we'll do for that trip, but who knows. I have a friend who wants to join us in 2020 so we might go for a different type of room.

I miss the moonlight magic as well. Though until my offspring get older we'd skip them anyway. It'll be interesting to see if we get anything goo for Star Wars.

jaklgreen

I agree with you on this. I am also a member but live far away and I do down once(sometimes twice) a year. My trips never seem to coincide with the activities they have going on.

eliza61nyc

I'm hoping they have some type of dvc pre ride like they did for pandora. if not I'll skip the opening year also.

I've actually been toying with the idea of selling my points. haven't made up my mind yet.

correcaminos

Keep them, and rent them out if you don't use them. It'll cover the MFs whilst you reconsider.
I agree with this.

I'm hoping they have some type of dvc pre ride like they did for pandora. if not I'll skip the opening year also.

I've actually been toying with the idea of selling my points. haven't made up my mind yet.
I can't imagine shelling out 200 bucks a point.
I cannot imagine shelling out $200 let alone $220. Any reason why you are considering selling?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Keep them, and rent them out if you don't use them. It'll cover the MFs whilst you reconsider.

Yes, don't sell...rent them. Companies like Dave's are always looking for points. And if you have points in a premium resort (monorail), they pay more.

eliza61nyc

I agree with this.

I cannot imagine shelling out $200 let alone $220. Any reason why you are considering selling?

I probably should say "trade". I think my contract maybe a bit too big now that my kids are grown and out. I have 250 points which was excellent when we did 10 night stays or invited the family and got 2 bedroom suites. Now we generally stay long weekends or 5 nights and fewer folks. I love Beach club if I saw a smaller contract for resale I'd love to grab it. but that probably would not make a whole lot of sense, considering I brought the darn thing back in 2002 for I think $85 bucks a point.

correcaminos

I probably should say "trade". I think my contract maybe a bit too big now that my kids are grown and out. I have 250 points which was excellent when we did 10 night stays or invited the family and got 2 bedroom suites. Now we generally stay long weekends or 5 nights and fewer folks. I love Beach club if I saw a smaller contract for resale I'd love to grab it. but that probably would not make a whole lot of sense, considering I brought the darn thing back in 2002 for I think $85 bucks a point.
Totally get it! We have the bulk of our points at OKW and the remainder at PVB in a few contracts. So as time goes on we can sell off parts if needed since we won't need as many points.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I agree with this.

I know why I sold, the constant major issues with the room on checkin like major appliances and/or HVAC not working, rooms not available till 6-8PM, and the constant degradation of service and maintenance at the resorts.

It aint worth it to us any longer, Inlaws have a Marriott timeshare for Jan/Feb and they have none of these issues no its not Disney.

But I don't vacation to find new problems to solve or to jump through corporate hoops.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom