New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

BrianLo

Forgive me not fully wading through this thread, just want to clarify what they are doing.

The changes are now the only qualifications are Autism and Developmental Disabilities (which to me means Global Developmental Delay or likely Moderate-Severe Intellectual Delay)? Aka ADHD and Anxiety are not developmental disabilities, is that the general read of the thread?

Physical disabilities are not going to be accommodated via DAS in lines that can accommodate assistance devices?

Vclguy90

Yeah, this will discourage international guests who have perhaps used DAS before or think they might need it from booking to stay onsite.

They’ll save their money and stay elsewhere so they can spend more time at the other parks if they don’t get the DAS.
Well yes, the UK patrons are probably use to DLP which you have to show proof be as long as you have prove you have their version of a DAS

Vclguy90

This is rather an ignorant comment about "heat exhaustion" not being a valid excuse in Florida. If you're not a medical professional, you should not be debating about what you feel is "valid" (unless we're talking about something very ridiculous). I know many people who have disabilities that create situations where they are extra sensitive to heat for short periods of time. A lot of the park queues' are inadequately covered and poorly air-conditioned during the large summer crowds , creating potentially harmful situations to these folks. People with heart conditions, on special medicines, physical disabilities may have scenarios where they can't and shouldn't be out in the heat for too long. WDW is big enough that one can manage these situations decently when not waiting in line for a ride, but when the crowds are large and the lines move slowly, this can be an issue. You and I might be able to stay in the heat and direct sunlight for 30 minutes+, but there are those who can't - and it's not unreasonable to think DAS should be a tool for them to use when this situation arises.

The reality is that Disney created this issue of widespread DAS abuse when they started charging for Fastpasses via Genie+/Lightning Lane. Disney gave people ways previously to work around their disablities or health conditions through Fastpass+ so that they weren't dependent on a DAS program. Since it was taken away, it only makes sense that they've seen an increase in requests for DAS for both those who need it legitimately and those who don't.

Hurting those who need it because of their greed in charging for Genie+ seems incredibly low. This will undoubtedly lead to threats of lawsuits prior to it's implementation with their new "critiera" and I'm curious to see how Disney responds. We already know they're fearful of the Autism advocacy groups (based on their action against Disney when DAS was first altered), so they go out of their way to avoid ticking them off. They're now just trying to see who they can tick off and get away with.

There's no doubt that they need to refine the system. But right now, it seems as if they may have gone too far.
They ignited a war for sure and another instance of excluding some groups and class them and the undesirables.

Again, I think this whole restructuring is something they shouldn't of touched with a 10 foot poll. Not only is City Hall camping to be jam packed with a ton of complaints. What they are trying to alleviate won't change.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I am a visitor from UK,
I am disabled and have a parking permit and in receipt of government allowances.

I'm sorry for your situation, but for over 248 years the UK standards havent been applicable in the US. You visit the US, our standards apply just as yours apply to visitors to your country. This situation is due not anything you have done, but others who have taken advantage of ambiguous language in a federal law to gain advantages that others must pay for.

Tha Realest

They ignited a war for sure and another instance of excluding some groups and class them and the undesirables.

Again, I think this whole restructuring is something they shouldn't have touched with a 10 foot poll. Not only is City Hall camping to be jam packed with a ton of complaints. What they are trying to alleviate won't change.
The current DAS regimen was unsustainable. It had to change. The current system is so wildly out of balance that it has fundamentally affected their ability to provide services to their guests at large.

Disney has clearly looked at the laws, has data and evidence to show their system was unworkable, and likely has a justifiable basis in the new mechanisms they’re implementing.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The reality is that Disney created this issue of widespread DAS abuse when they started charging for Fastpasses via Genie+/Lightning Lane. Disney gave people ways previously to work around their disablities or health conditions through Fastpass+ so that they weren't dependent on a DAS program. Since it was taken away, it only makes sense that they've seen an increase in requests for DAS for both those who need it legitimately and those who don't.

uhh... this was already a widespread problem in the past - LONG before Disney started charging for Genie+. Let's not forget that DAS was introduced to try to combat abuse with the existing GAC card.

Sure, with paid line skip a thing, even more people are motivated to cheat the system, but to paint this as purely due to Genie+ is gaslighting.

Mickeydeee

Serious question, not trying to be rude or snarky. For people who are saying if they are denied DAS they will not go anymore, why not just purchase Genie+ and ILL? Wouldn’t that be a better solution than just choosing not to go?
Because our family already spends thousands of extra dollars on medical bills and therapy for our ds and allll his serious medical issues. Money is already tight.

BrianLo

This has already been the case for several years. A scooter is considered an accommodation.

I thought so too, in the three-four pages I waded back though there was some commentary about physical disabilities, so I was confused and thought that area had changed somehow.

Tha Realest

In case anyone was curious, Disney has posted an Accessibility Planning Guide &
Recommendations (you can see from the PDF file name it was finalized on 4/5/24)

This would seem to reaffirm that DAS is intended only for those with a “developmental disability like autism or similar.”

Physically navigating various queues is addressed in the Mobility Access Options at the bottom of the page.

1712796394217.png

flynnibus

Premium Member
Forgive me not fully wading through this thread, just want to clarify what they are doing.

The changes are now the only qualifications are Autism and Developmental Disabilities (which to me means Global Developmental Delay or likely Moderate-Severe Intellectual Delay)? Aka ADHD and Anxiety are not developmental disabilities, is that the general read of the thread?

Physical disabilities are not going to be accommodated via DAS in lines that can accommodate assistance devices?
The inference now is DAS will only be for the developmental/sensory/neurological stuff

Issues with not being able able to stay in line for a long periods will be handled with some yet to be known system to allow leaving the queue and returning

Issues like mobility/etc will be addressed with ada accessible queues like before.

Florida Man

I think the majority of those people who do not really need DAS but were successful getting approved with the current system will easily be able to obtain doctors notes. An annoyance yes but many of “those people” will just say challenge accepted and start making doctor appointments to get the needed documentation.
On the plus side, at least they would be seeking help for the first time. I'm all for that. A lot of people with mental disorders don't seek help.

BrianLo

The inference now is DAS will only be for the developmental/sensory/neurological stuff

Issues with not being able able to stay in line for a long periods will be handled with some yet to be known system to allow leaving the queue and returning

Issues like mobility/etc will be addressed with ada accessible queues like before.

Great thanks that makes sense. In practice I'm curious to see how well they hold the line about the blurring of ADHD/Anxiety that some of the population will make the case for.

At the end of the day that's 10% of the general population with ADHD and another 10% (upwards of 25%+ of certain subsets of kids) with anxiety. It's a slippery slope when the average party of four that attends Disney will 1/3rd (?34.39%) of the time contain one of those two diagnosis.

Comped

I was with you until the end. Disabled people are allowed to go to concerts, lol
Including the concerts at Epcot. Just because I can sit and wait for Air Supply or Candlelight doesn't mean I can stand for 2 hours in line.
Trouble is that everyone is different and perceptions can change throughout a park day. Our eldest probably draws looks when using DAS as he is an elite swimmer and has the body and energy to go with it. At the same time he has a blood pressure issue that means that if he stands still for more than a few minutes he faints. His condition is fairly well controlled in the UK but combined with the heat and humidity of Florida it can be a struggle. We’ve used DAS on annual trips since 2015. If Disney have tracked us they would see we tend to spend most time between rides sitting somewhere cool. They will also see him striding through the park, using DAS, but always watching MK fireworks from the outside seating at Pinocchio Village Haus since he can sit and there’s no way he can stand in the hub or on Main Street - we’ve still to see HEA from the front of the castle! Even in the LL queue he is frequently sat down whilst in line. Sure he could use a wheelchair as an alternative, but that stigmatises his condition as he’s perfectly capable of walking around.
I’ve no idea whether Disney or this group think his need is justified, but it’s very real and can be demonstrated by his medical records, including a tilt table test that caused his heart to stop within 180 seconds.
There's a handicap viewing area at the hub that would actually work perfectly in your situation, and I'm sure the CMs there could find your son a chair. I've used it many an occasion for viewing various firework shows over the years. I am in a very similar boat with being able to physically walk around but standing in line for an extended period of time becomes much more difficult.

But it also doesn't mean a wheelchair would be an acceptable solution. The last time I needed a wheelchair at Disney (or elsewhere) was when I was a kid back in 2004. (My parents still jokingly complain to this day about pushing me around World Showcase.) My disability has not changed, I have simply become better at managing it. I certainly can't afford to rent an ECV or wheelchair every weekend just to satisfy Disney, when I don't need one in real life because I'm usually never standing in line for anything for several hours at a time repeatedly.

I am lucky enough that my disability qualifies under the CDC definition of developmental disability as one. My only hope at the moment is that I can use the line on Disney's website about being unable to wait in a conventional line to qualify for the same thing that every other Disney property would let me have, a return time. Which under the ADA is a perfectly reasonable accommodation to ask for.

SamusAranX

Disney thinks it has; that's why they're changing it.
Do you really think Disney did this out of kindness of their heart(s) and empathy for the standby guest experience ? No. They saw the abuse, realized the missed revenue, and went to change it. The abuse definitely exists, but I also don’t believe for one millisecond this was done with good motives on Disney’s part.

Disney Glimpses

Do you really think Disney did this out of kindness of their heart(s) and empathy for the standby guest experience ? No. They saw the abuse, realized the missed revenue, and went to change it. The abuse definitely exists, but I also don’t believe for one millisecond this was done with good motives on Disney’s part.
I won't sit here and say that lost revenue isn't tied to this decision. But I still don't think this is the primary driver. DAS results in somewhat unpredictable LL queue pressure which makes it challenging to determine how to size Genie+ LL inventory. And in turn, standby queue ratios decrease dramatically during these times. The end result is poor guest satisfaction across the board with the exception of the fraudsters. I seriously doubt that Genie+ inventory will increase after these changes. At least not dramatically.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom