New DaMouse update

Patricia Melton

I have ridden Mermaid in DCA, almost right after it was opened, and I was very much disappointed. The clam shells fell claustrophobic (unlike HM where everything is in the dark and you don't notice the other omni-movers as much), the animatronics are too close to the ride vehicle, the Under the Sea scene has exposed lighting and big obvious metal bars that hold up the fish, all of this is just OK, not fantastic like HM or Pirates or even Peter Pan, but the second half of the ride is a disaster. There are, quite literally, half-finished show scenes which use cardboard cut-outs, and the "kiss the girl" scene looks 100% fake as the little plastic fish with plastic "water" look fake and the lighting was horrible, though they might have fixed this. Oh yeah, they re-used duplicate plastic fish (most don't move at all) as well as some of the exact same dancing turtles and newts and stuff in the weird "finale" scene.

Every other Disney dark ride I have been on made more sense than Mermaid, even though Mermaid is supposed to be taken directly from the film, the story isn't setup properly, IMHO, as they try to use screens to put in the losing her voice part, getting her legs and other stuff that most general theme park guests probably don't remember, even though I know the story very well, the ride was too much of just exactly duplicating three scenes, though in a penny pinching fashion, and making up scenes which made no sense.

Uh . . . really hoped WDW would "fix" the second half and make the first half better, but no, I guess it is a duplicate.

I thought at least the queue would be awesome, I guess that technically remains to be seen, but Mermaid's queue is obviously much poorly done than BoB restaurant, and probably the queue for 7DMT, and is of course nowhere near as good as Splash, which uses real plants. Mermaid's queue has almost no real plants, just palm trees it looks like, though they made add a vine to the castle . . . They used astro-turf, but worse than that, astro-turf that doesn't look like grass at all.

If Mermaid in DCA was a great ride (almost always a walk-on IMHO) and if DCA's Mermaid had a great queue (it is so run-down pier amusement park cheesy/cheapo it makes me puke), then maybe I'd be more opened minded . . .

Compared to every other piece of rockwork Disney has done, Mermaid's is (in my one opinion) the worst in all of the Disney parks, from what I can see. It looks Children's museum bad, just sort of a general theme of caves with mud cliffs above them, and bizarre shapes and a rotted termite-infested wood look that is not at all attractive. The concept art showed seaside bluffs with a single entrance cave and exit, not these mud-spaghetti pillars and funny forms in the concrete.

Let's give it a shot before making judgments.

And don't hold too much of the DCA version against this one until you have seen it. Clearly Disney listened to negative feedback about DCA's LM, because they made changes after it was opened (no more ice cream hair). Who knows what other changes were made to the WDW version.

We won't really know until the ride opens.

Patricia Melton

You sure have a lot of unfounded big opinions for something unfinished that you've never even seen.

I have no way to know for sure (haven't been over to FL to see it in person), but I'm gonna laugh if that turns out to be real grass.

EDIT: Everything I'm seeing/reading/hearing indicates that it is indeed real grass?

I'm stumped on the grass being real or not.

My husband says it's real after I showed him the pictures. He is the gardener of our family. He says it looks like sod that has been freshly laid. The coloring to him looks like freshly cut sod. It will deepen in color as it grows, he says.

But I don't know how grass can grow on so little earth. I personally think it has to be fake because I have never heard of someone being able to just lay sod down on a roof and have it grow forever and be okay. I think it would die quickly and need to be replaced and there is no way that DIsney would approve something that had to be replaced so often because it would get very expensive.

I personally think it can't be real grass because if you could just lay sod on a roof like that then every roof in some cities would have "green roofs" by just adding sod and I know there is much higher expense and structural things that need to go into creating green roofs than just that.

It's kind of funny that grass on the roof of an attraction in a theme park is so interesting to many of us, but I would love to know for sure if the grass is real or not. I have a dinner bet with my husband on it and if I win we get to eat out at a place I love but he doesn't like so I really want to win this one.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I thought at least the queue would be awesome, I guess that technically remains to be seen, but Mermaid's queue is obviously much poorly done than BoB restaurant, and probably the queue for 7DMT, and is of course nowhere near as good as Splash, which uses real plants. Mermaid's queue has almost no real plants, just palm trees it looks like, though they made add a vine to the castle . . . They used astro-turf, but worse than that, astro-turf that doesn't look like grass at all.

How can you make a statement like "but Mermaid's queue is obviously much poorly done than BoB restaurant" with the little we have seen about either of these, or have you actually had a chance to tour the construction site?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm stumped on the grass being real or not.

My husband says it's real after I showed him the pictures. He is the gardener of our family. He says it looks like sod that has been freshly laid. The coloring to him looks like freshly cut sod. It will deepen in color as it grows, he says.

But I don't know how grass can grow on so little earth. I personally think it has to be fake because I have never heard of someone being able to just lay sod down on a roof and have it grow forever and be okay. I think it would die quickly and need to be replaced and there is no way that DIsney would approve something that had to be replaced so often because it would get very expensive.

I personally think it can't be real grass because if you could just lay sod on a roof like that then every roof in some cities would have "green roofs" by just adding sod and I know there is much higher expense and structural things that need to go into creating green roofs than just that.

It's kind of funny that grass on the roof of an attraction in a theme park is so interesting to many of us, but I would love to know for sure if the grass is real or not. I have a dinner bet with my husband on it and if I win we get to eat out at a place I love but he doesn't like so I really want to win this one.

I think it's possible they used real grass, but I an not sure why they would bother. Since it's on the top of the rock work where no one will ever get really close to it, I would think they could easily come up with something artifical that looked completely real.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I think it's possible they used real grass, but I an not sure why they would bother. Since it's on the top of the rock work where no one will ever get really close to it, I would think they could easily come up with something artifical that looked completely real.

I'd have to think the same thing after thinking about it. While it would look really nice to use real "beach grass" or something similar (just the kinetic movement of beach grass blowing in the wind would be nice, which I dont know how well they can simulate with artificial grass), I'd hate to be the landscaper that has to get up there and tend to it every once in a while to ensure it's living and growing ok. It probably works just as easily to put in artificial turf and just kind of "set it and forget it".
Honestly, it does not look too hard to get grass to grow on a roof (http://www.gardenguides.com/122582-grow-grass-roof.html), I just have to imagine that they would not go that far, throw up some fairly decent looking artificial stuff, and move along.

alissafalco

There really is no way that you can tell from those pics if its real grass or not. It certainly looks real, but they do have some very good looking fake plants now a days. Either way, I think it looks really good and I can't wait to go on it!! I just hope there's no Ursula cut out at the end ;)

IWant2GoNow

Am I the only one who can't get this vision out of their head every time we see a picture of SDMT in its current state? Maybe Disney is up to more than we know! Haha.

atat.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I've noticed some vertical metal poles up in the mountains, just left of Beast's castle. They can be seen in the image here: http://damouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/DSC07156-Version-2.jpg

I had previously thought they might have been meant to become miniature trees higher up in the mountains to support the forced perspective, but that seems unlikely now. Does anyone know what these might be for?

I am still thinking they are going to be for trees. They did have some test trees up there at one point, just not sure why they haven't put the finals ones up yet.

lexgoodsir

Unfortuneately I have to clearly be the bearer of bad news in regards to the astro turf spoiling LM and the queue for BOG being so good, I was there just a week ago when they were laying the turf and on the far left of the cliffs of BOG the very same turf is being added in parts, just behind maurices cottage... So do you now think that's awful too? It's still far too early to speculate and argue about what will and what won't, we may have all become slight synics with certain things at times on here but in the end it's Disney and they'll still surprise us! Let's just wait and see in December!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom