New Credit Card Authorization Policy HELP

HallowedHalls

Can anyone who has been to WDW since Feb27 explain the new credit card authorization policy? Do I really get a $100 hold every time I spend $100? Leaving in a few weeks and would like to be prepared!

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I'd like it better if you could get an approval that was at your discretion. $100 for Disney seems kind of low (but I get why they do that). $100 hold for charging privileges on the MB is going to lead to several (if not many) additional "holds" being placed. Just makes it confusing. If they said, you can put a "hold" of $500 or $1,000. It would eliminate additional activity and reduce a lot of stress for everybody.

In my case, I usually settle my account with Gift Cards on the last night before the charges hit. If I'm reading this correctly, once I hit the initial $100, the charge automatically goes through to the card. Is that correct?

What about Gift Cards? You will no longer be able to use them to settle MB accounts? Or could you walk up on the first day and say "Here's $1k in gift cards that I'd like to use to fund my MB account?"

I think the ones this impacts more are those that use a debit card. That's going to be a nightmare for them.

I view this as an unnecessary barrier that may dissuade some people from opting to use their MB to charge. Which defeats the purpose of MM+. They want the data of what you spend and where you spend it. This policy seems to counter that objective.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GJM724

I'd like it better if you could get an approval that was at your discretion. $100 for Disney seems kind of low (but I get why they do that). $100 hold for charging privileges on the MB is going to lead to several (if not many) additional "holds" being placed. Just makes it confusing. If they said, you can put a "hold" of $500 or $1,000. It would eliminate additional activity and reduce a lot of stress for everybody.

In my case, I usually settle my account with Gift Cards on the last night before the charges hit. If I'm reading this correctly, once I hit the initial $100, the charge automatically goes through to the card. Is that correct?

What about Gift Cards? You will no longer be able to use them to settle MB accounts? Or could you walk up on the first day and say "Here's $1k in gift cards that I'd like to use to fund my MB account?"

I think the ones this impacts more are those that use a debit card. That's going to be a nightmare for them.

I view this as an unnecessary barrier that may dissuade some people from opting to use their MB to charge. Which defeats the purpose of MM+. They want the data of what you spend and where you spend it. This policy seems to counter that objective.

This is my question: Do I have to pay off balances daily with my gift cards so I don't get charged the $100?

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Which is what I said can happen but was told I was wrong. Which is my point. It sounds a lot less complicated to just use the card directly. Unless you just want to assume Disney will be accurate and not try to monitor all of it.

"The initial authorization holds on the card will not exceed the current balance due plus $100."

I don't know what @DisAl is talking about, but you're not going to get a $600 hold on your card after you've charged $200.

This is my question: Do I have to pay off balances daily with my gift cards so I don't get charged the $100?
No.

"For reservations longer than 5 days, the card on file will be charged the current balance on the resort folio on every fifth day of your stay and on the day of check-out."

Upvote 0

GJM724

"The initial authorization holds on the card will not exceed the current balance due plus $100."

I don't know what @DisAl is talking about, but you're not going to get a $600 hold on your card after you've charged $200.

I figured that. I just wanted to make sure that after I charged $200 that the holds are not going to turn into a charge right away.

Upvote 0

Patcheslee

But other hotels don't have a magic band system that keeps adding charges, so keeps adding holds in addition to the charges. Every day.
The "other park" in Orlando has charge privileges linked to room keys for use in the parks. At checkin you can request the amount you want the hold to be instead of a set amount.
Even when I contacted Disney about having additional funds held at checkin, to avoid my account being flagged as fraudulent, I was told to ask at the resort at checkin because policies may differ at individual resorts.

Upvote 0

drizgirl

No.

"For reservations longer than 5 days, the card on file will be charged the current balance on the resort folio on every fifth day of your stay and on the day of check-out."
I didn't say a thing about $600 in holds after charging $200. But if you exceed $100 in charges every day, you'll get a new hold for $100 every day. The problem comes down to how fast various financial institutions are at releasing holds. You could end up with a bunch of them stacked up waiting to be released. That may or may not happen before the actual charges post.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

I didn't say a thing about $600 in holds after charging $200.
That's exactly what @DisAl said that sent everyone into a frenzy.

But if you exceed $100 in charges every day, you'll get a new hold for $100 every day. The problem comes down to how fast various financial institutions are at releasing holds. You could end up with a bunch of them stacked up waiting to be released. That may or may not happen before the actual charges post.
No.

$100 hold to start. Charge X. Now you have a hold of $100 + X. Not $100 + X + another $100 for some bizarre reason.

Upvote 0

DisAl

"I don't know what @DisAl is talking about, but you're not going to get a $600 hold on your card after you've charged $200."
Well, I had a "consolidation of current charges" pending charge of $473 on my card one night while the individual charges that made up that $473 were all still showing as individual pending charges, PLUS another $100 hold after the "consolidation". So at that point I had $1046 of pending charges on my card for what would eventually be a $473 charge. All of this at 2:00 a.m. And they were doing this EVERY NIGHT, not every 5 days. The 5 days is probably only if you don't go over your $100 hold.
It took a couple of days for it to settle out.

Upvote 0

HallowedHalls

Original Poster
Actually, @CaptainAmerica I believe @DisAl is correct. Based on what I have read, there is a new $100 hold after you have surpassed the initial hold. So, until your financial institution releases the initial hold of $100 - you will continue to have them stacked on your account. This could lead to hundreds of dollars tied up which wouldn't be available to spend until the holds are released.

While I realize this does not follow Disney's official company line about only one hold - it does seem to be the case.

This information is based on people who have traveled since this policy came into play (like @DisAl ) and also blogs like (talesofonemomsmess) which says "Anytime you reach over $100 in room charges, another authorization hold will be placed on your credit/debit card for the amount over the $100. " She had over $700 tied up in holds after just two days.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DisAl

What really does not make sense is that they go ahead and pass along each charge as it is made as a pending charge and then later combine all the pending charges and charge the combined charges as a NEW pending charge. Why combine them at all? Since the charges are already pending on your card why not just leave them that way? As long as your charges keep going through they could just hold on to that first $100 hold until the end for a security buffer. That would be so much easier than the messy process they have now.

Upvote 0

Ariel1986

This information is based on people who have traveled since this policy came into play (like @DisAl ) and also blogs like (talesofonemomsmess) which says "Anytime you reach over $100 in room charges, another authorization hold will be placed on your credit/debit card for the amount over the $100. " She had over $700 tied up in holds after just two days.

Ugh- this is crazy and what I was worrying about when I read about this change. Currently I have a pending “hold” charge from a (not a Disney trip) hotel I checked out of 25 days ago. Gone between the hotel and my bank and each says the other is responsible for releasing it. I know it’s normal for hotels to take a hold, but when it’s taken longer than the usual 3-5 working days for it to be released, it’s kind of annoying. Apparently it will automatically release after 28 working days anyway, but a bit ridiculous if you ask me .

So if this is true of what’s happening at Disney- we have over a two week trip planned. We spend over $100 most days. So potentially thousands of dollars in $100 holds every time we spend over the initial $100, plus the original charges?? Well, we’ll switch to not using the magicband to charge, but I’ll miss its convenience.

Hopefully they might work out a simpler system by our trip. Not everyone’s happy to have thousands tied up/having to check each one is right on their trip- whatever their budget.

Upvote 0

drizgirl

Ugh- this is crazy and what I was worrying about when I read about this change. Currently I have a pending “hold” charge from a (not a Disney trip) hotel I checked out of 25 days ago. Gone between the hotel and my bank and each says the other is responsible for releasing it. I know it’s normal for hotels to take a hold, but when it’s taken longer than the usual 3-5 working days for it to be released, it’s kind of annoying. Apparently it will automatically release after 28 working days anyway, but a bit ridiculous if you ask me .

So if this is true of what’s happening at Disney- we have over a two week trip planned. We spend over $100 most days. So potentially thousands of dollars in $100 holds every time we spend over the initial $100, plus the original charges?? Well, we’ll switch to not using the magicband to charge, but I’ll miss its convenience.

Hopefully they might work out a simpler system by our trip. Not everyone’s happy to have thousands tied up/having to check each one is right on their trip- whatever their budget.
Probably not as bad as you think. It depends on the policy at the financial institution your card is from, and how long it takes them to release the holds. It does appear they can stack up pretty quickly, but some will fall off as your trip progresses.

Upvote 0

GJM724

This is what I got from my Disney TA: I am more worried about being charged on the 5th day then the other policies:

On the day of arrival, Resort hotels will place an authorization hold on your card for any balance due on the reservation—plus $100 for estimated incidental expenses. If your spending exceeds the original $100 hold, additional incremental holds will automatically be obtained. The authorization holds on the card will not exceed the current balance due plus $100.

Payment is processed for the balance due on the account after checkout. For reservations longer than 5 days, the card on file will be charged the current balance on the Resort folio(s) every fifth day of your stay and after checkout. In general, charges will be settled and posted to the card within 1 to 2 days after checkout day.
You will only be charged for what you actually spent and any authorization holds in excess of the balance due will be released after checkout day.

Upvote 0

aliceismad

This sounds very similar to what I've experienced on a cruise ship with the credit card holds. And you can't buy things directly with cash or card on the ship (all charges go to your onboard account). I've never had an issue with it, nor with my credit card failing to release the "holds" from any ship or hotel.

However, on a cruise ship, they offer the option to put down cash on your onboard account rather than a credit card hold. Not sure if Disney would ever consider that option. Also you can pay down your account with cash.

Upvote 0

GJM724

This sounds very similar to what I've experienced on a cruise ship with the credit card holds. And you can't buy things directly with cash or card on the ship (all charges go to your onboard account). I've never had an issue with it, nor with my credit card failing to release the "holds" from any ship or hotel.

However, on a cruise ship, they offer the option to put down cash on your onboard account rather than a credit card hold. Not sure if Disney would ever consider that option. Also you can pay down your account with cash.

My travel agent said you can put gift cards on your account at the start and they will deduct from those first, so I assume you can do the same with the cash.

Upvote 0

Sparksfly

What was the old policy for authorozation holds? Didnt they always do a hold for the resort balance due at check in (for room only reservations I mean)? Its just the added $100 if you use your band/charge your room now? What if you dont make any charges to your room? Im a little confused.

Upvote 0

yensid67

I know this is going to be an ancient resolution....but USE CASH! Guests should not have to endure this much confusion on their finances while on vacation. I think I understand why Disney is doing this, so they get the money they are due. But why not just make guests pay cash or check(automatically approved)!

Upvote 0

Joeamc

No.

They are just trying to stay $100 ahead of you by placing that hold. So like you have all said, whatever you actually spend gets charged to card and then Disney puts another $100 hold in place to stay ahead of the guest. This is because Disney has had "deadbeats" in the past that run up a $2000 room charge bill and check out and don't pay.

Upvote 0

drizgirl

My understanding of what's odd about the hold system is that when they post the charges (when charges hit $100 or day 5) it does not then release the hold. But they do place a new hold. The holds have to age off on their own, based on the terms of your financial institution. So if you exceed $100 numerous times, you'll have numerous $100 charges AND numerous $100 holds. The holds will all age off, but you can tie up a lot of credit if you're using your bands a lot.

Upvote 0

Joeamc

My understanding of what's odd about the hold system is that when they post the charges (when charges hit $100 or day 5) it does not then release the hold. But they do place a new hold. The holds have to age off on their own, based on the terms of your financial institution. So if you exceed $100 numerous times, you'll have numerous $100 charges AND numerous $100 holds. The holds will all age off, but you can tie up a lot of credit if you're using your bands a lot.
That's not the way I understand it. The way I understand it is, you will have a hold until you reach that hold amount, that hold will be transferred to an actual charge (pending or paid or whatever), then at the same time, a new $100 hold will be placed. Then, as you spend the hold, repeat the process.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom