New Construction Off Waterway Between Downtown Disney & PO

WDWCP

Original Poster
Hey Guys,
I was curious if anyone could tell me what the new construction is that you can see if you're taking the boat ferry from Downtown Disney to either Port Orleans resort. You can see easily 4 or more big buildings that look like hotel structures. Must have been 3-5 stories tall or so. Travelling from Downtown Disney, this would be on the right side of the boat.

The second question I have is to ask if anyone knows what those old Tree House homes are currently being used for that you see on the right when taking the same boat ride as above? I saw a bunch of them with certain signs of life. Are they privately owned now? Rentable? Who can you rent them through?

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Do you mean the next phase of Saratoga Springs?

To the best of my knowledge, the tree houses are not being used at all...that being said, I would not be surprised if there was some limited cast access.

WDWCP

Original Poster
ClemsonTigger said:
Do you mean the next phase of Saratoga Springs?

To the best of my knowledge, the tree houses are not being used at all...that being said, I would not be surprised if there was some limited cast access.

It's absolutely possible that it is the next phase of Saratoga Springs. That location would be about right. I have no idea that there was going to be a phase 2 there. That would make sense then...

As for the tree houses. They are certainly being used, at least some of them are. When I was riding that boat in early-mid June, there were a bunch of those tree houses with things like towels and shoes left out on the decks. I didn't actually see any people, but a bunch of stuff around that seemed a clear indication that someone was using them for something. The items I saw made it look like people were either living in them, or using them as vacation spots. It wasn't stuff like storage or anything. It was actual daily living/vacation items I saw.

Unplugged

Should be one of the next phas(es) for Saratoga Springs:

Saratoga_Springs_Map.jpg

TOCPE82

I've heard they've been housing a limited number of CPs there, due to overcrowding at the other CP housing facilities.

WDWCP

Original Poster
Unplugged said:
Should be one of the next phas(es) for Saratoga Springs:

Saratoga_Springs_Map.jpg

Looking at this map, I'm sure what I saw was the next phase. Thanks for the great info!!!

Now, If only I knew who was staying in the tree houses. I sure would love to rent one of them! :lol:

shari71

The last time we went, our boat Captain stated that the Tree Houses were not being used. Because of some wetland laws or something like that, they cannot redevelop the area. They either have to fix up what is currently there or leave it or tear it down, but nothing new can go in its place.

foldmama

When I took the Backstage Magic Tour in May we were told that the Tree Villas were being used by international CM's working at Epcot.

mickey04

foldmama said:
When I took the Backstage Magic Tour in May we were told that the Tree Villas were being used by international CM's working at Epcot.

They are in fact being used by ICPs, but not limited to the ones working at Epcot. ;)

WEDMagic

With reference to teh tree houses they can never be torn down. They are on what is now classified as natural wetlands by the goverment. They cant even cahange the footprint of them just keep them maintained

gsimpson

The tree houses

The tree houses are currently being used by college program folks. They are in what is classified as a cypress swamp which apparently means it has two environmentel protections afforded it, the wetlands and some specific variety of cypress tree (a designation obviously bestowed by someone pointy head who lives in Washington DC and who does not spend any time in Florida). This means they cannot be modified except to provide handicap access (one politically correct cause trumps another politically correct cause I suppose). Since there are so few of them it does not make economic sense to have them as a stand alone resort (they were part of Disney Institute originally). There has been some discussion of adding them to Saratogo Springs if they can figure out some way to increase their square footoage without running too afoul of the green police, an idea DVC is no too excited about apparently. Remember when they were designed upscale hotel "suites" were a lot smaller than today. Disney would be allowed by the green police to remove them but they don't want to do that until they are sure they aren't going to come up with some other use for them so they decided to put non-rev people in them which gives them the incentive to keep them in "good enough" shape for whatever they may decide down the road. Once they are removed then this is private land that the green police will never allow the owner to do anything with again, effectively seizing the land from private ownership without having to go through the troublesome public processes mentioned in our constitution.

RonAnnArbor

To make it even more pleasant...the road leading to the Tree Houses (the old Villas for those of us who have known them to be around for ages and ages) is currently a dual access route for the trucks for Saratoga Springs current building phase.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom