NEW Changes to Disney's Magical Express

JPVonDrake

As of November 1st:

To take advantage of this free service, you must add a reservation for the Magical Express on your room / package reservation PRIOR to your arrival to Florida. The Disney Welcome Center at the Orlando International Airport will no longer be able to provide this service to guest who have not made an advance reservation. It is recommended that you book at the same time you book your room, and provide your flight information at least 30 days (or more) prior to your arrival to ensure the timely arrival of your Travel Documents. Remember you must add Disney's Magical Express through your original booking location only; meaning if you book your room with a travel agency you must contact them to add or change your DME.

Disney will no longer have Magical Express Greeters on the third level of the airport (the level you enter the Main Terminal from your plane.) Our DME Welcome Center is located on level 1, Side A in the main terminal. We will have some Greeters on level 2 on both A and B sides of the airport to help lost Guests.

If you arrive at the airport after 11 PM or before 6 AM (due to a flight delay or it's your originally scheduled arrival time) you will be asked to claim your own luggage and it will travel with you to your Resort to ensure timely delivery. Otherwise the delivery of your luggage to your room is estimated to arrive within 2 hours from your arrival at the airport. You are always advised to pack a day bag with medications and maybe a change of clothes to start your reservation, as you will not have immediate access to your bags.

Hope this helps! :sohappy:

wannab@dis

shoppingnut said:
And, yes, the dining plan is a similar analogy.

Ok, you can walk up to any restaurant that accepts the plan and ask to be seated... if they have availability, they will seat you. They don't turn away people because they don't have a PS unless there is no availability.

So, in a way, your analogy actually backs up what I'm saying (if we throw out the availability part).

Upvote 0

lewisc

wannab@dis said:
Why is it unfair?

It seems that people love to drop the "it's not fair" statements then never give the reason. It's already been acknowledged that this ONLY affects Disney resort guests, their reservations includes the service, and the number of people showing up at MCO without pre-arranged transportation is minuscule at best.

I'll look for the article, but it appeared based on the quotes from the MCO officials that the rules were changed by the airport. If not, then why allow DME to continue unchanged until the end of the month? If not, then why did JP start this thread and announce it as a CHANGE?

I gave the reasons in prior posts. You're not taking the time to read and comprehend what others have already posted.

I posted that guests not staying at WDW are being directed to the Mears desk to buy vouchers to ride DME buses as a lower cost alternative to a taxi. The person standing next to me on line waiting for a bus to AKL. Guests without a reservation are not entitled to use DME. This was on the Disney website from the beginning of DME. Even if they were entitled to use DME Disney shouldn't have preference in soliciting those customers.

The rules haven't changed, what's changed is Disney observing the rules. The grace period might be to give Disney time to put signs up as an alternative to the CM.

I always thought most guests pre-arranged transportation. Based on the number of complaints I might be wrong. Plenty of business travelers just grab a taxi. It's entirely possible more guests than we realize plan on just getting their luggage and getting a taxi. Every airport has a line of cabs ready to take passengers to their destination. Internet savvy Disney travelers know a pre-reserved towncar may actually be a little bit less than a taxi but that's doesn't account for all of the customers.

BTW I don't think any of these changes will help the limo drivers. I don't think they can compete with free but it might help some of the cab drivers.

Upvote 0

wannab@dis

lewisc said:
I posted that guests not staying at WDW are being directed to the Mears desk to buy vouchers to ride DME buses as a lower cost alternative to a taxi. The person standing next to me on line waiting for a bus to AKL. Guests without a reservation are not entitled to use DME. This was on the Disney website from the beginning of DME. Even if they were entitled to use DME Disney shouldn't have preference in soliciting those customers.

I'll give you this one... I saw it, but it was such a small percentage that it was insignificant. A resort reservation SHOULD be required for DME service.

lewisc said:
The rules haven't changed, what's changed is Disney observing the rules. The grace period might be to give Disney time to put signs up as an alternative to the CM.

I always thought most guests pre-arranged transportation. Based on the number of complaints I might be wrong. Plenty of business travelers just grab a taxi. It's entirely possible more guests than we realize plan on just getting their luggage and getting a taxi. Every airport has a line of cabs ready to take passengers to their destination. Internet savvy Disney travelers know a pre-reserved towncar may actually be a little bit less than a taxi but that's doesn't account for all of the customers.

BTW I don't think any of these changes will help the limo drivers. I don't think they can compete with free but it might help some of the cab drivers.

Who is complaining? It's the ones that are no longer able to feed off Disney guests. They should do a better job with their business and not rely soley on resort guests. Disney and the airport have said that about 5000 people a day use the service. That's a small percentage of the people going through MCO every day.

Let me ask you this... if a cabbie can pick up someone without a pre-arranged reservation, then why can't DME if someone asks and they have reservations at a Disney resort? Even the livery group acknowledged they had to ask a DME employee about the service and then they called that solicitation. Seems like they have their definitions wrong to me.

Upvote 0

lewisc

It's strictly a function of the agreement the transportation entity has with the airport which is reflected in the fees they pay the airport.

I have no problem with DME soliciting customers if their agreement with MCO permits it and they pay the appropriate fees to the airport.

If Disney is allowed to solicit business than other companies should also be allowed to solicit business. Maybe some of the passengers without an advance reservation would be happy to pay $60 for a towncar that will offer a grocery stop. The fact is the towncar drivers aren't allowed to solicit business.

Cabbies pay significant fees to the airport in order to be allowed to pick up customers who don't have an advance reservation. Disney is paying something like .50/passenger to the airport.

BTW, there have been posts on other internet boards from people who've observed more than a handful of guests being directed to Mears to purchase vouchers to ride DME buses.

wannab@dis said:
Let me ask you this... if a cabbie can pick up someone without a pre-arranged reservation, then why can't DME if someone asks and they have reservations at a Disney resort? Even the livery group acknowledged they had to ask a DME employee about the service and then they called that solicitation. Seems like they have their definitions wrong to me.

Upvote 0

Gucci65

HauntedPirate said:
This thread is *exactly* why I don't participate much anymore.

[Topic posted]
(Opinion offered)
"No, you're wrong!"
"No, You're wrong!!"
"You're wrong, admit it!"
"No, you're a moron"
"Your argument has no logic!"

Some people in here already know this, but others don't. Pay attention: You, and your opinion, are NOT always right.

*sighs and walks away*

Yea, it does get a little old doesn't it?

Upvote 0

wannab@dis

Gucci65 said:
Yea, it does get a little old doesn't it?

Honestly, you are more than welcome to ignore threads that don't interest you. Not trying to be mean or anything, but it's within your power to click on the threads that interest you or not for the ones that you don't care to see.

Upvote 0

wannab@dis

lewisc said:
It's strictly a function of the agreement the transportation entity has with the airport which is reflected in the fees they pay the airport.

I have no problem with DME soliciting customers if their agreement with MCO permits it and they pay the appropriate fees to the airport.

If Disney is allowed to solicit business than other companies should also be allowed to solicit business. Maybe some of the passengers without an advance reservation would be happy to pay $60 for a towncar that will offer a grocery stop. The fact is the towncar drivers aren't allowed to solicit business.

Cabbies pay significant fees to the airport in order to be allowed to pick up customers who don't have an advance reservation. Disney is paying something like .50/passenger to the airport.

BTW, there have been posts on other internet boards from people who've observed more than a handful of guests being directed to Mears to purchase vouchers to ride DME buses.

So, what you are saying is that the solicitation of passengers is ok if the airport gets their fair share of fees. Well, then the airport should take a stand and negotiate that out with Disney. I thought this whole discussion was about whether it's fair for Disney to operate DME. This has been the stand of the livery groups. They are upset that DME is there at all, not that someone is paying more fees than others.

So, does anyone know the amount of fees that the cabbies have to pay versus what Disney pays? Also, do we know the number of people the cabbies served prior to DME and the amount of money they paid to the airport versus what Disney is now paying?

It seems to me that the cabbies should go after the airport instead of Disney. They hold the key to the situation.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

wannab@dis said:
Let me ask you this... if a cabbie can pick up someone without a pre-arranged reservation, then why can't DME if someone asks and they have reservations at a Disney resort?

Because the taxi driver's are not permitted IN the airport building, they must be outside, only driver's with pre-arranged reservations are allowed IN the airport building.

Upvote 0

lewisc

Tigger2000 said:
(sorry, this is off the argument thing...but we're going next year August 2006 flying with Virgin Atlantic...how would we go about doing the DME?

Ben)

You give your flight information to whoever you make your resort reservation with. If you clear customs at MCO you'll pick up your luggage at the first carousel, go through customs and then drop off your bags with the yellow ME tags attached. Your bag will bypass the second carousel and will be delivered to your hotel room.

You'll enter the main terminal and follow the signs to the A side of the terminal and go down to level one, below baggage claim, and go to the DME desk to check in. You'll be directed to wait in line for the bus to your resort.

Upvote 0

wannab@dis

shoppingnut said:
Because the taxi driver's are not permitted IN the airport building, they must be outside, only driver's with pre-arranged reservations are allowed IN the airport building.
That's been taken care of since they changed where the DME employees can be located. Anyone showing up with resort reservations should be allowed to ask for a ride on DME since they can ask a cabbie for a ride.

I think you're grasping at straws and trying to defend the indefensible.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

wannab@dis said:
That's been taken care of since they changed where the DME employees can be located. Anyone showing up with resort reservations should be allowed to ask for a ride on DME since they can ask a cabbie for a ride.

I think you're trying to justify Disney breaking the rules and that they should be allowed to do anything they darn well please because they are Disney.

Upvote 0

wannab@dis

shoppingnut said:
I think you're trying to justify Disney breaking the rules and that they should be allowed to do anything they darn well please because they are Disney.

No, I'm not trying to justify anything. I'm trying to get to the bottom of why some people are so scared to compete in a free market. Every rationalization given by those that support the livery groups have made no sense.

Why must Disney have a different set of rules? The only argument (which was flimsy at best) that has been offered is the greeters had access to the 3rd floor. They changed that, but yet the livery group is still upset and have started a protest. If the cabbies can pick up people without pre-arranged reservations, then so should DME.

What I'm trying to do is to get people to think beyond what they read in the papers or what they hear from the livery groups. I don't have a horse in the race because I won't be using DME... I'll be taking a towncar. :D

Upvote 0

MickeyTigg

HauntedPirate said:
This thread is *exactly* why I don't participate much anymore.

[Topic posted]
(Opinion offered)
"No, you're wrong!"
"No, You're wrong!!"
"You're wrong, admit it!"
"No, you're a moron"
"Your argument has no logic!"

Some people in here already know this, but others don't. Pay attention: You, and your opinion, are NOT always right.

*sighs and walks away*

And with that said...I'm done with this discussion....after this....

What makes you think they changed the policy? The cabs and towncars actually complained that MCO wasn't enforcing the policy not that it needed to be changed. I'm as big a Disney fan as the next person, but you really need to take off the Mickey glasses and admit they were wrong and unethical in their practice so far with DME.

You guys have fun discussing this further...I'm done beating my head against the wall trying to explain my opinion and in the process being told I'm an idiot for disagreeing.

B-bye.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

wannab@dis said:
If the cabbies can pick up people without pre-arranged reservations, then so should DME.

Then DME can move their operation outside the airport doors for those without pre-arranged reservations, just like a taxi company.

This whole issue is more than competing in a free market, there are many components to the DME operation and some of them are unfair to the livery drivers because what disney is doing is breaking the airport rules thereby making it unfair competition.

Upvote 0

wannab@dis

TiggerRPh said:
I'm as big a Disney fan as the next person, but you really need to take off the Mickey glasses and admit they were wrong and unethical in their practice so far with DME.

You guys have fun discussing this further...I'm done beating my head against the wall trying to explain my opinion and in the process being told I'm an idiot for disagreeing.

B-bye.

First, I don't think anyone called you an idiot... at leat not that I've seen.

Second... there's no way that you'll ever get me to agree that DME is unethical. The ONLY situation that could possibly be construed as problamatic has been alleviated by moving the greeters from the 3rd floor. Other than that, DME should be allowed to operate as they want.

To me, saying that passengers with a resort reservation can't ask to ride DME, but must pay for a taxi is hurting them as a consumer. The rights of a consumer should be primary.

Upvote 0

lewisc

Why don't you just read the first post in this thread?

People who show up without a DME reservation won't be ridding a DME bus.

Companies that pick up passengers at any airport have rules and pay fees. A limo driver that drops off a passenger isn't allowed to pick up a passenger who doesn't have a reservation. A taxi driver is allowed to pick up a passenger that goes to the front of the cab line and requests a taxi.

The deal DME has with MCO says guests have to have made advance reservations. If Disney wants to be able to solicit business from customers that don't have advance reservations they'll have to negotiate with the airport. They'll have to face the, probably valid, complaints from other companies that feel they should also be allowed to solicit business at the airport. I'd think a towncar driver without a fare back to WDW would be happy to cut a deal to avoid having to drive back empty.

The fact that the livery industry doesn't want DME there at all doesn't change the fact that they're entitled to be treated fairly and have the rules enforced fairly.

Not grasping at staws, just expecting the rules be enforced. If the limo companies didn't have a valid point the airport wouldn't be asking (requiring) Disney to take this action. I'm sure the airport is far more concerned with keeping Disney happy than they are with keeping the limo companies happy.

wannab@dis said:
Anyone showing up with resort reservations should be allowed to ask for a ride on DME since they can ask a cabbie for a ride.

Upvote 0

bob0012

It’s not unfair competition for the simple fact that Disney isn’t charging. Now I know you can turn around and say that quite obviously, it’s built into the price, but the bottom line is the customer will pay the same price, regardless if they use it or not, so it is free to the consumer.

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o =""></o>And lest we also forget that these same drivers have been angry with Mears for years now, due to Mears agreements they’ve had with MCO over the years.

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->
shoppingnut said:
<o =""></o>

<!--[endif]--> These drivers do have pre-arranged reservations they are waiting for, however, IF someone walks up to the person with the big Mickey glove and says “Hey, I’m going to Disney, how do I use your service, what do you suppose the person is supposed to say?” Why the same thing a taxi or limo driver would do, answer their question.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

bob0012 said:
These drivers do have pre-arranged reservations they are waiting for, however, IF someone walks up to the person with the big Mickey glove and says “Hey, I’m going to Disney, how do I use your service, what do you suppose the person is supposed to say?” Why the same thing a taxi or limo driver would do, answer their question.

Taxi's are located outside the airport door and you get in line to get one to take you to where ever. Pre-Arranged reservations w/limo or taxi service are permitted in the airport.

The person should have to tell them that they needed to make their reservations prior to arriving in Orlando. The same is with when you go on a cruise and the cruise line offers free transport to the pier as apart of the cruise price. You still need to make a reservation for the transport otherwise the cruise line will not take you on that bus and you are on your own to get to the pier.

Just because something is free doesn't mean you aren't competing with someone else. Pricing something for free just means you are prepared for that item to be a loss leader in competing with the next guy and you will make that money up someplace else. Just like supermarkets that offer the free turkey's for thanksgiving, it is a loss leader, because now you have to spend a certain amount of money in their store to get the turkey in the first place and you will probably also spend your money in their store to buy all thr trimmings and that is where they make money. So Disney takes the DME as a loss leader and makes it up by you eating all your meals on property and hopefully spending all your vacation dollars there when buying anything else.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom