News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

Old Mouseketeer

Inclusion?!?!? Disney just fired someone for being a conservative!?!?! I thought this country had done away with discrimination, next they will fire Christians, and only hire those who back abortions. DISNEY SHOULD STAY OUT OF POLITICS, AND HIRE THE BEST QUALIFIED AND SUITED FOR THE JOB. Soon Snow White will have tattoos, be a guy and weigh 400lbs.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Who specifically did Disney fire?

In case you hadn't notice, chosen religious affiliation is protected under federal law. Unchosen sexual orientation and gender identity is not. Have fun playing with your straw people.

P.S. Queen of Hearts and Mrs. Incredible are almost always a guy and Mickey is almost always a girl. When I was a kid, Peter Pan was always a girl. There is even a non-binary Spiderman. And I would stand in line for hours for an all drag queen villainess show (Ursula and Cruella, anyone?)

Last edited:

smooch

If I understand this correctly men can have long hair now? As all rules are across all genders and therefore an acceptable long hair look that a female CM has been allowed to have is now acceptable for a guy? I was most likely going to be doing a DCP semester last year til the pandemic happened and I remember that having to cut my hair was gonna be a sad sacrifice for the experience for me, I don't see myself working at Disney in the future anymore as timing with my school and career wouldn't line up anymore but that is nice to know. I think this is a very positive change, times change, companies change, I feel like most people who have a problem with this are just older people who have a very hard set perception of what is professional. I know plenty of people who would have been great fits at Disney but never even thought to apply because of a tattoo on their wrist that is appropriate or an unacceptable hairstyle for their gender and now the pool of talent Disney can hire from will be even larger. I am pleasantly surprised how progressive these changes are, I did not expect this big of a change but am very happy Disney is trying to stay up to date with these changing times.

SuddenStorm

"Cast displaying appropriate tattoos"...

So, are you under the impression that tatted up CM's will be assigned to rides or lands where their tats theme to the environment?

Or that a tatted up CM will only be assigned to work at a location where their tat themes to the story?

It's also worth adding that it will likely be the immediate Stage Manager who decides whether or not a given tattoo is appropriate or not.... so I expect a lot of inconsistency across the resort in regards to whether or not a tattoo is appropriate.

I also expect a lot of angry CM's who are mad their tattoo isn't appropriate.

When the rules are clear- no hair longer then a certain length, no visible piercings on guys, no tattoos, etc- it makes the implementation of such rules easier. But as soon as you allow something with as much variety as visible tattoos, you open yourself up to different interpretations. And that makes enforcing the dress code more complicated.

FutureCEO

I'm partly just replying so I can get new thread notifications.

My boss has two tattoos on her neck. My cup of tea, no but whatever floats your boat. This policy change that updates Disney to the modern times. If we still kept the standards of the past, customers would go to places all dressed up.

Tom Morrow

Walt was a pre-Boomer. Or a pre-pre-Boomer?

But Walt got a lot of things right. Like making sure the park was the star, and everyone else was in a supporting role.

Also, the kids here who are 50 are Generation X. They were born in 1971. They're into rad stuff like skateboarding and tats and MTV.

Average age... meaning many of you are older than 50.

ohioguy

If I understand this correctly men can have long hair now? As all rules are across all genders and therefore an acceptable long hair look that a female CM has been allowed to have is now acceptable for a guy? I was most likely going to be doing a DCP semester last year til the pandemic happened and I remember that having to cut my hair was gonna be a sad sacrifice for the experience for me, I don't see myself working at Disney in the future anymore as timing with my school and career wouldn't line up anymore but that is nice to know. I think this is a very positive change, times change, companies change, I feel like most people who have a problem with this are just older people who have a very hard set perception of what is professional. I know plenty of people who would have been great fits at Disney but never even thought to apply because of a tattoo on their wrist that is appropriate or an unacceptable hairstyle for their gender and now the pool of talent Disney can hire from will be even larger. I am pleasantly surprised how progressive these changes are, I did not expect this big of a change but am very happy Disney is trying to stay up to date with these changing times.
Men with long hair??? What would Jesus say????🙃

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I guess Time Magazine is the new theme. At the Magic Kingdom your a cast member playing the roll of your dealing with customers, this is rediculous. It’s a family theme park, a day away from the real world like and issues like intended.

FerretAfros

Perhaps a Henna Tattoo parlour will open up in Epcot/Morocco.
Morocco has had a henna stand for years, as part of the Spice Road Table complex that opened in 2014. I believe they offered it elsewhere in the pavilion prior to that, but my memory is hazy

There's also a small henna stand in Africa at DAK

Just because something is available for sale to guests doesn't mean that it fits the official Disney Look guidelines for CMs. For example, jewelry sold in the stores is often too ostentatious for their guidelines, you could easily get a non-approved hair cut at the barber shop on Main Street (it seems like glitter is practically required there), and of course there's no shortage of questionable face painting options that would be forbidden for front-line CMs aside from those working at the face painting kiosks.

Pandora-Face-Painting.jpg

This sort of stuff has been going on for years, and will likely continue for years to come. Just because it's for sale to the guests doesn't mean that it has to conform to the guidelines for cast members.

nickys

Premium Member
What I meant was that I don't know whether the guidelines in Paris were already different or whether they just stopped enforcing them before this change.

Point being, they were already more liberal in terms of the "Disney Look" and I think the parks were, if anything, better for it.
I suspect the guidelines in Paris are probably different because of either French &/or EU employment laws.

Jeff Kober

Fun Fact: a guest's overall satisfaction of an attraction is directly proportional to the perceived level of self-expression of that attraction's CMs!

I feel much freer to enjoy going on Pirates of the Caribbean because I now know that the CM who pushes the button to send my boat away won't have to hide who they really are anymore!
That's a cool fact. Any way I could find some sources that talk about that? I'd like to share it with some others.

jayb2190

Imagine actually caring if someone has a goatee or a tattoo on their arm, and then claiming that "ruined" your Disney experience

I'm pretty sure that as long as tattoos do not have to swear words or graphic/violent art on them, they will be perfectly fine and quite frankly unnoticeable.

Having been to Disney parks over 200 times, I can honestly say that it's the attitude of CM's that I remember, not their appearance. If someone with a full sleeve of tattoos and a beard goes out of their way to make my visit more enjoyable, then that is awesome. If you truly think otherwise, then keep yelling at everyone to get off your lawn.

PS, these CM's deserve a tad bit of freedom, considering the trash wages they're being paid.

Last edited by a moderator:

eliza61nyc

This is simply the lowering of standards. People may squawk and yell at that as if it's not the case, but it's the truth.

Some companies and inustries still have standards. Large succesful airlines, for example, don't allow their airport or in-flight staff to have visible tattoos and purple hair and weird piercings. It makes the flying public nervous.

In-N-Out Burger here in SoCal, as another example of a company that still has high standards. Their employees obey strict grooming and appearance standards, and they look great! Their sharp appearance matches their extremely courteous and efficient work habits.

Disneyland used to have standards like that. It was all part of making sure Disneyland was the star, and everything else (including employees) were merely in the supporting role.

"Disneyland is the star. Everything else is in the supporting role." -Walt Disney, 1961

But that old Walt idea is unfashionable now. Now, it's... Every Role A Starring Role! Every CM flipping burgers or waving a flashlight at parade crowds or cleaning out the oil from the bottom of the popcorn machine is a STAR! (SPOILER: They actually aren't, and their company doesn't treat them like a star, but let's pretend and maybe they won't notice?):rolleyes:

All Disney has done here is lower the standards of Disney theme park CM's to that of Wal-Mart or McDonald's employees. Disney CM's no longer have to live up to higher standards like In-N-Out Burger. It's not really a surprise, as it's been happening in the US parks for over 20 years now. Lower maintenance standards, lower customer service standards, lower showmanship standards. This is simply the latest step down to lower standards; now including employee grooming and appearance.

Not surprisingly, none of these new appearance rules apply at Tokyo Disneyland. They still have higher standards there.

Changing standards does not automatically mean "lowering".
You mentioned airlines, well southwest airlines came along and fabulously changed the perception of their in flight employees. They wear shorts, still look professional. They have different shirt options, still look fabulous. They changed those stupid safety announcements that no one listened to, now they have updated them made them fun and fresh. Lol now people taped them and upload them to youtube.

Professional standards have changed, Business heck I remember when you got dressed to fly. Thank God that stupidity went away.
Change is not always a bad thing.

Lilofan

This is simply the lowering of standards. People may squawk and yell at that as if it's not the case, but it's the truth.

Some companies and inustries still have standards. Large succesful airlines, for example, don't allow their airport or in-flight staff to have visible tattoos and purple hair and weird piercings. It makes the flying public nervous.

In-N-Out Burger here in SoCal, as another example of a company that still has high standards. Their employees obey strict grooming and appearance standards, and they look great! Their sharp appearance matches their extremely courteous and efficient work habits.

Disneyland used to have standards like that. It was all part of making sure Disneyland was the star, and everything else (including employees) were merely in the supporting role.

"Disneyland is the star. Everything else is in the supporting role." -Walt Disney, 1961

But that old Walt idea is unfashionable now. Now, it's... Every Role A Starring Role! Every CM flipping burgers or waving a flashlight at parade crowds or cleaning out the oil from the bottom of the popcorn machine is a STAR! (SPOILER: They actually aren't, and their company doesn't treat them like a star, but let's pretend and maybe they won't notice?):rolleyes:

All Disney has done here is lower the standards of Disney theme park CM's to that of Wal-Mart or McDonald's employees. Disney CM's no longer have to live up to higher standards like In-N-Out Burger. It's not really a surprise, as it's been happening in the US parks for over 20 years now. Lower maintenance standards, lower customer service standards, lower showmanship standards. This is simply the latest step down to lower standards; now including employee grooming and appearance.

Not surprisingly, none of these new appearance rules apply at Tokyo Disneyland. They still have higher standards there.

In-N-Out is Disney Legend Robert Downey Jr's go to meal after he gets released from jail from his several run ins with law enforcement.

eliza61nyc

Imagine actually caring if someone has a goatee or a tattoo on their arm, and then claiming that "ruined" your Disney experience.

I'm pretty sure that as long as tattoos do not have to swear words or graphic/violent art on them, they will be perfectly fine and quite frankly unnoticeable.

Having been to Disney parks over 200 times, I can honestly say that it's the attitude of CM's that I remember, not their appearance. If someone with a full sleeve of tattoos and a beard goes out of their way to make my visit more enjoyable, then that is awesome. If you truly think otherwise, then keep yelling at everyone to get off your lawn.

PS, these CM's deserve a tad bit of freedom, considering the trash wages they're being paid.
Lol I'm worse than you, I can honestly say that I'm usually so busy running my mouth or taking pictures to really get that deep on what the cm's tats look like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Archie123

This proves my point, and the left now like to use the term Straw man? I think they are after a yellow brick road these people will happily tear Walt down next. They need to look at the name of the park, learn from its history then jog on to Dolly Land.

Luckily Disney could care less about small and myopic points of view like people on here are sharing. More people will welcome this change then those who complain.

jaklgreen

The problem is when your message becomes a distraction. I do not want to explain to my 8 year old on a vacation why a man is wearing a skirt. I accept expression, but this push for inclusion doesn't mean we should remove all boundaries.

What is there to explain? You tell you kid that people can wear what they want to wear. I would say that men don't usually wear skirts in this Country, but in other Cultures, men wear them. And let that be the end of it at that age. No need to make a big deal about it. Kids will take in this information and go about their day. It is adults that over think things.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom