New castle show Mickey's Royal Friendship Faire to open this summer at the Magic Kingdom

Matt_Black

A lot of MK entertainment has been doing this, MRFF, the Trolley Show, even Move It Shake It has a special holiday finale. All nice touches that entertainment doesn't have to do but they are and they should be acknowledged for that. More is always good but this is a great start!

I love the Fall Trolley Show. "That's the magic that can happen when it's Autumn!"

Variable

Don't forget the Country Bears :)

808e43b518ec75239a9cb1321828a001.jpg

"There'll be blood, er, eggnog on the saddle, eggnog on the ground..."

Nmoody1

The difference is this is literally just a costume change. To change out IASW or HM, they have to be closed for a few months before and after. It's also not something that will likely increase crowds too much, whereas at DL, people come just to see the holiday IASW and HMH.

Well, seasonal upgrades can be combined with annual maintenance. Rides have to close anyways. Haunted Mansion at DL closes for 3 weeks to install the holiday overlay that runs for 4 months. Small price to pay.

Seasonal overlays help to attract locals and can also be a great way to encourage visits to the park vs. A competitor.

This holiday should prove interesting to see how attendance is affected by a lack of the Osborne Lights. I'm sure there will be a decrease in wearable lights, light up gear and hot cocoa at the studios.

Nmoody1

Does anyone really know why the WDW HM doesn't get the overlay that the DL HM gets for those 4 months? Seems to me it would be a no-brainer.

May we open this question to all those on these forums that outcry how their vacation is ruined when a ride closes for maintenance.

... of course their vacation would be ruined if said ride wasn't maintained and something went wrong and it killed them.

I think mostly it is two parts money, one part WDW caters to vacationers where as DL caters to locals - so it's an extra draw to bring people in, one part the exec team in Orlando can't really be bothered.. and the park is making money (or not in some cases) - well people come anyways so why put in the effort. Finally, the Magic Kingdom pulls in enough people anyways and is super overcrowded - no need to pull in locals who avoid the MK at the merriest time of the year

The Hatbox Ghost

May we open this question to all those on these forums that outcry how their vacation is ruined when a ride closes for maintenance.

... of course their vacation would be ruined if said ride wasn't maintained and something went wrong and it killed them.

I think mostly it is two parts money, one part WDW caters to vacationers where as DL caters to locals - so it's an extra draw to bring people in, one part the exec team in Orlando can't really be bothered.. and the park is making money (or not in some cases) - well people come anyways so why put in the effort. Finally, the Magic Kingdom pulls in enough people anyways and is super overcrowded - no need to pull in locals who avoid the MK at the merriest time of the year

Yah that's what I didn't want to hear- that they don't do it because they don't have to do it ($$$).

Kman101

Phil Holmes was a big fan of the Mansion though and probably went the extra mile to block the overlay (with him at DHS I guess there could be a sliver of a chance, but I doubt we'd ever see it). You would think with the upcharge holiday events they'd offer the overlay but I can see in this case why they don't. Didn't Tokyo get the overlay (and the one for Small World, too) WDW was supposed to get since we share the same Mansion?

And since they do the Jingle Cruise, not sure why they don't bother with Small World (well, because they don't have too, obviously). That would be on about the same level.

entangled

Does anyone really know why the WDW HM doesn't get the overlay that the DL HM gets for those 4 months? Seems to me it would be a no-brainer.

I did a BTS tour of Mansion when I was doing my College Program, and we were told that there were plans in place to bring the overlay in a few years ago, that were eventually axed. The most logical reason being that WDW is more of a 'once in a lifetime' destination, vs the local pull that DL receives. They did install a few 'hidden Jacks' to make up for the loss of the overlay, but most aren't visible to the public eye during a regular ride through and were intended for the Mansion CM's to find.

mimitchi33

I did a BTS tour of Mansion when I was doing my College Program, and we were told that there were plans in place to bring the overlay in a few years ago, that were eventually axed. The most logical reason being that WDW is more of a 'once in a lifetime' destination, vs the local pull that DL receives. They did install a few 'hidden Jacks' to make up for the loss of the overlay, but most aren't visible to the public eye during a regular ride through and were intended for the Mansion CM's to find.
By the "overlay", do you mean Haunted Mansion Holiday? I rode on that in Disneyland and loved it.

RMichael21

A nice CM gave us a tour (not backstage, but gave us a cool tour of the stretching room/exterior) when we were there and there's a hidden Jack in the portrait in the room before going into the stretching room. It's super hard to see, but it's there.

wdwfan22

Phil Holmes was a big fan of the Mansion though and probably went the extra mile to block the overlay (with him at DHS I guess there could be a sliver of a chance, but I doubt we'd ever see it). You would think with the upcharge holiday events they'd offer the overlay but I can see in this case why they don't. Didn't Tokyo get the overlay (and the one for Small World, too) WDW was supposed to get since we share the same Mansion?

And since they do the Jingle Cruise, not sure why they don't bother with Small World (well, because they don't have too, obviously). That would be on about the same level.

Jingle Cruise really doesn't require much work or a significant closing period. Small World or Haunted Mansion would have to close for weeks and when it comes down to it neither one would boost attendance enough to make it worth while.

COProgressFan

Jingle Cruise really doesn't require much work or a significant closing period. Small World or Haunted Mansion would have to close for weeks and when it comes down to it neither one would boost attendance enough to make it worth while.

Worth while for whom?

What if they did it because it would be a wonderful experience for the couple million guests who visit the MK in November and December? What if it had nothing to do with boosting attendance?

MagicHappens1971

Worth while for whom?

What if they did it because it would be a wonderful experience for the couple million guests who visit the MK in November and December? What if it had nothing to do with boosting attendance?
That's not the point. WDW doesn't get seasonal overlays because the attractions can't afford to be down for as long as it takes to overlay them. The point was that generally WDW is a once in a lifetime experience for most, except locals. So they can't have classic attractions closed for the length of time it takes to overlay it and then take the overlay down.

Rteetz

That's not the point. WDW doesn't get seasonal overlays because the attractions can't afford to be down for as long as it takes to overlay them. The point was that generally WDW is a once in a lifetime experience for most, except locals. So they can't have classic attractions closed for the length of time it takes to overlay it and then take the overlay down.
Exactly. Disneyland has more locals than once in a lifetime visitors so they can afford to take attractions down every year. WDW has way more once in a lifetime visitors that they can't take attractions down all the time.

MagicHappens1971

Exactly. Disneyland has more locals than once in a lifetime visitors so they can afford to take attractions down every year. WDW has way more once in a lifetime visitors that they can't take attractions down all the time.
It's also cited this is the reason DLRs attractions get more refurbs and upkeep then WDWs. Personally I think that's just TDO vs TDA rather then how long the attractions can be closed

COProgressFan

It's also cited this is the reason DLRs attractions get more refurbs and upkeep then WDWs. Personally I think that's just TDO vs TDA rather then how long the attractions can be closed

Not trying to start an argument here, but those actually aren't the reasons that it isn't done in WDW. DL may have a more local based audience, but the numbers have been shifting to plenty of once-in-a-lifers there as well.

The reason WDW doesn't do seasonal overlays is they just don't want to. They don't see any financial benefit to doing so (even though I would argue they would be wrong) and simply don't want to spend the money and don't see a quantifiable ROI. Despite that there many be many intangible benefits guests and ultimately could could result in additional income for them.

It has very little, if anything, to do with the mix of guests. That's all nonsense excuses (which Disney I'm sure loves to encourage) used to justify their lack of doing ANYTHING at WDW.

Jones14

Though TDO refuses to spend the cash for most of the overlays, which is cheap on their part, I have to admit that I breathe a sigh of relief whenever Haunted Mansion Holiday gets kicked out of the Mansion. To me, the story is nearly as contrived and intrusive as Frozen in Norway (I know some will disagree) and seems to come from a place of inherent cheapness on TDA's part as well.

Why give a popular IP that moves merchandise (an executive's wet dream) a dedicated attraction that could then be marketed during two major holiday seasons as the headlining attraction when you can mar one of the resort's best attractions for a third of the year for a fraction of the cost?

I know the last part of that question is the answer to it, but HMH has always stuck out to me as a reflection of TDA's classics be damned if there's money to be made attitude, even if there's a better solution to be had. So on one hand, I wish TDO were a bit more free with their wallets, but on the other, sometimes that serves as the only barrier between Star Wars in Disneyland, Guardians in the Tower, Nemo in the subs, and Nightmare Before Christmas in the Mansion.

Matt_Black

Why give a popular IP that moves merchandise (an executive's wet dream) a dedicated attraction that could then be marketed during two major holiday seasons as the headlining attraction when you can mar one of the resort's best attractions for a third of the year for a fraction of the cost?

Actually, in the case of Nightmare Before Christmas, I've heard that they have to ask Tim Burton's permission, and he always says "No" when it comes to a stand-alone attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom