New car time

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, back stories.

I have ankle problems. More with my left than right ankle.. They're hereditary, and no amount of physical therapy or exercise will make them go away. I still walk, I still exercise, and I have mostly good days.

This means that on a bad commute, I end up limping into my office. The few times I've driven my Mini to WDW lately, I've had to take a day to rest my ankle.

Beyond that, my Mini - while perfectly reliable so far - is about to hit its first very expensive service interval. Because BMW.

------------------------

I financed the Mini, and am not upside down on my loan. If I were to trade it in, I'd end up with $4k in equity. And my grandmother has gifted me $10k towards a new car purchase - per her rules, I cannot use the money for anything else.

So I've been looking at the following 4 cars with automatic transmissions. They are 4 very different cars. Here they are:

1- CPO 2018 VW GTI S.
Pro: Price, CPO warranty removes fears of VW reliability (if I buy it , I'd have full warranty until 2025). FUN.
Con: Base model GTI with the lowest equipment level of all cars I'm considering.

2- CPO 2015 Infiniti Q50 3.7
Pro: Fun to drive, decent equipment level, it's a Z with 4 doors
Con: Known reliability issues with the tech options, I hate their infotainment system

3- CPO 2015 Lexus CT200h
Pro: Lexus reliability, fuel efficient, very inexpensive, decently equipped, hybrid (so free access to car pool lanes)
Con: SLOW (so so so slow), Cramped rear seat

4- CPO 2015/6 Hyundai Genesis 3.8
Pro: Reliable, most well equipped car here. Hyundai badges have been replaced with Genesis badges. Super awesome warranty.
Con: Dealing with Hyundai dealers (not the snob factor, but IME Hyundai dealers like to play games), ridiculous depreciation - even as a used car. Thirstiest of the cars I'm looking at. Possibly too big in size to easily adjust to after my Mini

artvandelay

So, back stories.

I have ankle problems. More with my left than right ankle.. They're hereditary, and no amount of physical therapy or exercise will make them go away. I still walk, I still exercise, and I have mostly good days.

This means that on a bad commute, I end up limping into my office. The few times I've driven my Mini to WDW lately, I've had to take a day to rest my ankle.

Beyond that, my Mini - while perfectly reliable so far - is about to hit its first very expensive service interval. Because BMW.

------------------------

I financed the Mini, and am not upside down on my loan. If I were to trade it in, I'd end up with $4k in equity. And my grandmother has gifted me $10k towards a new car purchase - per her rules, I cannot use the money for anything else.

So I've been looking at the following 4 cars with automatic transmissions. They are 4 very different cars. Here they are:

1- CPO 2018 VW GTI S.
Pro: Price, CPO warranty removes fears of VW reliability (if I buy it , I'd have full warranty until 2025). FUN.
Con: Base model GTI with the lowest equipment level of all cars I'm considering.

2- CPO 2015 Infiniti Q50 3.7
Pro: Fun to drive, decent equipment level, it's a Z with 4 doors
Con: Known reliability issues with the tech options, I hate their infotainment system

3- CPO 2015 Lexus CT200h
Pro: Lexus reliability, fuel efficient, very inexpensive, decently equipped, hybrid (so free access to car pool lanes)
Con: SLOW (so so so slow), Cramped rear seat

4- CPO 2015/6 Hyundai Genesis 3.8
Pro: Reliable, most well equipped car here. Hyundai badges have been replaced with Genesis badges. Super awesome warranty.
Con: Dealing with Hyundai dealers (not the snob factor, but IME Hyundai dealers like to play games), ridiculous depreciation - even as a used car. Thirstiest of the cars I'm looking at. Possibly too big in size to easily adjust to after my Mini
Adaptive cruise control is a big help for your ankle problems, especially in heavy traffic. It’s great to be able to stretch your legs and rotate your ankle while the C.C. runs the car. Definitely look at getting that option. Do any of your 4 choices have it?

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
So, I should add another car - CPO Mini Clubman S.

Adaptive cruise control is a big help for your ankle problems, especially in heavy traffic. It’s great to be able to stretch your legs and rotate your ankle while the C.C. runs the car. Definitely look at getting that option. Do any of your 4 choices have it?

I think the Genesis comes with it.

Lookup the gti issues with water leaking into the interior and soaking the floors... not good

I just did. It scares me, but I've had VW'd before, and my old Jetta had that same issue. It's more to do with VW's AC issues. The 7 year warranty (6+1 CPO) is tempting me.

No brz or Miata?

I found a CPO'd FRS not far from me and tested it. It was a fun drive, but it felt cheap. Also, no torque compared to my Mini.

I adore Miatas, but I barely fit in them.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I just did. It scares me, but I've had VW'd before, and my old Jetta had that same issue. It's more to do with VW's AC issues. The 7 year warranty (6+1 CPO) is tempting me

My buddy just had VW buy his new one back because after several attempts they couldn't fix it. Bought a grand cherokee in it's place... nice trim and interior.. but my mechanic son-in-law says they see Jeeps almost more than anything :)

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
My buddy just had VW buy his new one back because after several attempts they couldn't fix it. Bought a grand cherokee in it's place... nice trim and interior.. but my mechanic son-in-law says they see Jeeps almost more than anything :)

Chrysler products have always been junk. Moreso now since Fiat bought them.

artvandelay

I was at the NY Auto Show a couple of years ago and was listening to the Consumer Reports reviewers talk to a woman who was thinking about buying a Dodge Journey. He told her “do not buy the Journey and if you do I will hunt you down!”

donaldtoo

Seconding this.
We’ve owned 2 Chrysler products. A brand new ‘90 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, and a used (1.5 yrs. old with 29,000 miles on it) ‘01 Dodge Grand Caravan. Without going into details (this list is too damn long) they were both total crap. Never again.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Seconding this.
We’ve owned 2 Chrysler products. A brand new ‘90 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, and a used (1.5 yrs. old with 29,000 miles on it) ‘01 Dodge Grand Caravan. Without going into details (this list is too damn long) they were both total crap. Never again.

The Cherokee one surprises me - those old straight sixes had reputations for being effectively bulletproof.

donaldtoo

The Cherokee one surprises me - those old straight sixes had reputations for being effectively bulletproof.

Had heard same so decided to give it a try, even though nobody in my family (including grandparents on both sides, parents, myself, siblings, aunts and uncles and cousins on both sides, etc.) ever owned a Chrysler. Nothing but Fords and Chevys for them, and my pop was not for us buying the Jeep.
And yes, it had the straight 6 4.0 liter with a 5-speed manual tranny.
At 25,000 miles the clutch slave cylinder went out. Then, not long after, the idle control motor bit it, and it all just kept going downhill from there.
By the time we finally dumped it, the A/C no longer worked and both the front and rear main seals were leaking.
Pure garbage.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Well... this happened.

WWtd40A.jpg

clariden19

Nice car you got there. I also got a new 2011 Toyota Tacoma in my possession although it's a handover from my uncle so I don't really know if I should call it a new one. I'm planning to do some modification to it soon. I'm just waiting for some equipment and set of moto metal wheels to arrive.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom